Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-12, 04:46 PM  
michl43

Question Plantar faschiatis & walking

I recently developed PF in my left foot. I'm now using shoe inserts. today I went on 2 mile walk & few hours later felt the pain so I iced it, wrapped in ace bandage and am elevating the foot & resting. Am I supposed to put all exercise walking on hold until this goes away? Or just keep walking and do the ICE after? TIA
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 05:59 PM  
faith458

The PT told not to walk for exercise when I had plantar fasciatis. I was allowed to bike. I think they let me use the elliptical after awhile. I wish you well.

Faith
faith458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 06:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Stretching your feet really well should help too. I had a nasty bought with PF a few years ago. Orthotics, stretching, and ice really helped and I agree that biking and the elliptical are good options. I also did, and still do, a lot of swimming and deep water running.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 06:17 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

If walking is aggravating your PF, and it sounds like it is, I'd definitely give up the fitness walks until the pain goes away.

My PT told me it's important not to totally immobilize your foot, though, while you're healing. He recommends exercises like: calf stretches; pull back on your toes and hold the position to stretch your arch; point and flex your foot using a Theraband wrapped around the ball of your foot as resistance; massage/roll out the bottom of your foot with a tennis ball or can. You can also write out the alphabet in the air with each foot, one at a time, really pointing and flexing your toes to make each letter perfect. My favorite is to stretch out a Theraband to its full length, put my heel on the end nearest me, and gather up the band bit by bit by grabbing and releasing it with my toes. It really works the arch of your foot in a good way.

Hope you feel better soon! My PT flared up last week so I'm sympathetic to your pain.

Last edited by athompson10; 10-28-12 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo, oops
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 05:56 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I had PF earlier this year. There is a great thread on VF with suggestions. I found taping my foot and using a splint at night really helped. Once my flare up subsided, I resumed Physique 57 workouts and that has made a huge difference--working out barefoot doing barre strengthened my foot and my PF is basically gone.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 06:09 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I had Plantar Fasciitis a few years back and basically just kept running and working out. I did the stretching and icing, but what made it better for me was continuing to use it.

However, I think everyone's case is different. It isn't one cure works for all. You need to figure out what gives you relief and pay attention to how you feel.

There are several past threads here with good advice. If you search you'll find them. Good luck and hope you feel better quickly!
Old 10-29-12, 06:30 AM  
cam522

I had a bad bout with it about 2 years ago and what worked best for me besides stretching before getting out of bed, along with using Cathe's Stretch Max w/the Band after exercising was rolling a golf ball under my foot, it seemed to relax the muscle and made it easier to walk.

...Cheryl
cam522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 06:47 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post

My PT told me it's important not to totally immobilize your foot, though, while you're healing. He recommends exercises like: calf stretches; pull back on your toes and hold the position to stretch your arch; point and flex your foot using a Theraband wrapped around the ball of your foot as resistance; massage/roll out the bottom of your foot with a tennis ball or can. You can also write out the alphabet in the air with each foot, one at a time, really pointing and flexing your toes to make each letter perfect. My favorite is to stretch out a Theraband to its full length, put my heel on the end nearest me, and gather up the band bit by bit by grabbing and releasing it with my toes. It really works the arch of your foot in a good way.
This is what worked for me. I have feet issues and have gone the PT route. PF is really tendonitis of the foot fascia. Inflammation and tight muscles. I still have periodic flare ups--the icing doesn't help me much. Stretching and alphabet does wonders.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 10:16 AM  
BunnyHop

Stretching my calves and hamstrings really helped me.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 10:34 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Stretching my calves and hamstrings really helped me.
via downdog.

I'm having flare up right now. I'm shifting my workout to less impact...stretching helped with mine.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis