Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-12, 10:34 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
You just can't say that PF affects one type of person more than another!
You're right, Jeanne. I'm not overweight and have very flat feet. I have multiple injuries that contribute to my foot pain. There are so many factors to consider.

Since my brother (the podiatrist) is in South Dakota and I'm north of Minneapolis, I did see a really great podiatrist who is a runner and contributes to Runner's World magazine. He was great--and was the only dr that actually had me walk down the hall with my pant legs rolled up--several times to watch my gait. He understood that I had sports injuries and wanted to stay active and worked with me.

Jackie

ETA--barefoot workouts work well for me--esp Miranda's feetwork her CS/Essentrics. I also go to PT with a sports injury massage therapist and he spends a lot of time working with me on the feet and calf.
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 04:48 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I developed this in December while on vacation at my parents home. In our culture, you do not wear shoes in the house, and we especially respect this in my parents' home. For some reason (maybe going from carpet to tile, etc.) pain developed in my left heel and got so bad that I had to wear my slippers in my parents home!

Oddly, it didn't hurt when I ran. Today the pain still continues. Some days are OK, others are pretty painful. It's worse when I first get out of bed. Some days it doesn't hurt too bad when I take the dogs for their runs, other days it's very painful. Doing heavy strength work aggravates it, too.

I got fitted with one of those Dr. Scholl's machine at Walmart, and the insoles that it said that I needed does help quite a bit. I'm not overweight and I have very flat feet.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 05:36 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I watched this and found it very interesting. He is very pro bare feet, which is painful for me right now. And as I write this post, I am trying to pick up a towel with my plantar fasciitis foot and it is so hard! I need to practice some more. Thanks for posting this!
I can't walk long on barefeet, either. As for exercises, I've read that it's a good idea not to try them if you're in the middle of a 'flare up.' Wait until the pain has subsided before trying to strengthen your foot. I found that bit of advice to be helpful for me!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 02:27 PM  
ezrida

Taping

You can use a tape for your plantar fasciitis.
I have plantar fasciitis for about a year. The custom made orthotics my doc gave me did only more pain. I investigated the possible treatments and found that different things help different people.
Whenever I have to spend a lot of time on my feet I tape my them. There are a few taping techniques for plantar fasciitis in this link. Try it - it did great for me.
Good Luck
ezrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 03:03 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I had a nasty case of PF with a heel spur a few years ago. I taped my feet or used an arch support like this to do yoga in bare feet: http://shopping.canoe.ca/shop/produc..._28027124.html I don't need it any more and do a lot of exercising in bare feet.
I stretched, iced my feet, took anti inflammatory meds for a while, stayed away from high impact and it didn't improve. I got custom orthotics and they helped immensely. Ezrida, I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with yours. I also got a steroid injection into my heel. Very painful! Don't think I would ever do that again. Although after I got it, wore the orthotics faithfully, and stayed away from high impact exercise for a few more months the PF went away and has never come back. I don't wear my orthotics a lot any more, but I have Spenco supportive insoles in all of my walking/running/exercise shoes. I also wear my Birks a lot in the house, especially on my ceramic tile in the kitchen. I think sometimes you have try different things to find the treatment that works for you.

BTW, I am middle aged but I wear supportive shoes, don't have high arches, and am not overweight.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 03:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

My poor dad had PF on both feet and it lasted for over two years. He got the steroid shots as many times as he was allowed per year for both feet. Finally, the pain went away.

After suffering from it now, I can not imagine how my father got through this with it in both of his feet.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plantar fasciitis