Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-12, 06:21 AM  
Jewels5

Has anyone developed Plantar Fasciitis from doing barre work?

I think I am developing this in one foot. I have high arches, and it feels as though the muscle is pulling apart, and is painful. The only thing I can imagine that would've cause this is all the standing on the balls of the feet during barre work.

I really want to avoid the doctor if possible. Just wondering if you've been able to heal this on your own, and if so, what exercises helped, if any. Thanks.
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 07:16 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I get bouts of this off and on. I don't do barre workouts but when I'm doing alot of exercises in plank position with my arch stretched out, I start to suffer again.

It started again with the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution dvds that have tons of plank work. It's not painful unless I sit in my recliner with the foot rest up and my heel resting on it, or laying in bed on my back with my toes pointed up. Ugh. The only thing that has ever helped is reduce or stop the exercises that aggravate it and let it heal. Plus make sure to have supportive shoes on all the time. Walking barefoot makes it flare up again too.

Sorry you're going through this, it's painful and annoying!

Kathy G

Edited to add: I still love JMBR though and it seemed to just happen with phase 3 that started to get plank heavy.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k

Last edited by Kathy G; 05-10-12 at 07:18 AM. Reason: ETA
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 08:13 AM  
casey

Ha! I had the same issue starting Sunday last week where it was so painful I woke up and took Advil. I have this book that someone recommended to me at VF which has healed me twice already. The first time I was running a lot and had pain from the back of my arch towards my heel. The second time, more recently, I had pain directly in the central portion of my arch where I felt like my arch was lwer and touching my sneaker insole more than my other foot. I thought my arch was falling or something. I was doing a lot of Booty Barre because I love it. Plus running a lot (because I love it too!).

With the Barre I do, I'm on the balls of me feet a lot and I think that it tightens up your calf muscles and therein lies my problem. The book is called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" your self treatment guide for pain relief by Clair Davies and it talks about "referred pain". Simply, you may have overly tight calf muscles and the pain is referred to the bottom of your foot. It has diagrams showing which portions of your calves or other parts of your body to press or massage to eliminate the pain. It worked!!

I'm not sure who recommended this book but thank you so very much!! Maybe LuckyStar? It wasn't even my post that asked the question at the time. Heres a link to the books info on plantar facilitis that has illustrations on where you press. http://triggerpointbook.com/plantarf.htm HTH
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 08:27 AM  
LaCatrina

I always wear Bloch dance sneakers when I do barre work. I can't maintain proper form in releve if I don't have them on
Old 05-10-12, 02:12 PM  
Jewels5

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping some VFers could help me!

Kathy, I do lots of plank work too. That's interesting when you feel the pain. I only feel it when I'm walking. It also makes sense that being barefooted would cause it to flare up, because that's pretty much all I've been doing lately!

casey, thank you so much for the book recommendation, I'll check it out! I did buy an arch bandage which helps with the pain, but I don't want to mask it either. It feels like every time I take a step the muscle is being pulled too much. I don't quite know how else to describe it.

That also makes sense about the referred pain (and I think I even read somewhere about the calf muscle being involved). Also, it seems every time I have had an injury I'm told it's due to somewhere else being tight. Anyway, so glad to know the book help you, that's encouraging!

LaCatrina, I wasn't familiar with the Bloch shoes, so thanks! Is there a specific pair you would recommend? I'm starting to think my feet weren't meant to be without shoes.
Old 05-10-12, 02:49 PM  
LaCatrina

I have these http://www.zappos.com/bloch-boost-dr...-sneaker-black and I love them. You have to order them a size larger than you usually do, they run small.
Old 05-10-12, 03:11 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

In the Dailey Method DVD, Jill actually mentions the importance of not pushing the arch of the foot forward too much when doing thigh work in relevé. A lot of instructors just say "go as high as you can" in that position and I think it can indeed lead to plantar fasciitis. Make sure you rest your feet and maybe avoid relevé position for a while?
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 04:00 PM  
Jewels5

fuzzie, thanks so much for mentioning that, it's good to know. It seems obvious that is what has caused my pin so I will definitely refrain for awhile.

LaCatrina, thanks for the link, those are so cute! And they got great reviews! Do you primarily wear them for dancing or do you wear them for walking workouts by chance? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 05-10-12, 04:05 PM  
LaCatrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
fuzzie, thanks so much for mentioning that, it's good to know. It seems obvious that is what has caused my pin so I will definitely refrain for awhile.

LaCatrina, thanks for the link, those are so cute! And they got great reviews! Do you primarily wear them for dancing or do you wear them for walking workouts by chance? Sorry for so many questions.
Anytime! I use them when I do barre, and when I do dance workouts. Lately I've been doing lots of those dance videos that are all over youtube. I've read that some people use them in zumba classes. You can do pivots and turns easily, and the sole provides good stability. I mostly use them for dancing and during my Ballet Body workouts. I don't think I've ever stepped out of the house wearing them now that I think about it.
Old 05-10-12, 04:34 PM  
marissajd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
In the Dailey Method DVD, Jill actually mentions the importance of not pushing the arch of the foot forward too much when doing thigh work in relevé. A lot of instructors just say "go as high as you can" in that position and I think it can indeed lead to plantar fasciitis. Make sure you rest your feet and maybe avoid relevé position for a while?
Co-signing on this. At Bar Method, they advise that when you're on releve, the top of your foot should be (at most) perpindicular to the ground and no more forward than that.

Tags
heel pain, plantar fasciitis