Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-11, 04:36 PM  
TonyaK

After 20+ years of PF pain on and off, I finally just discovered my cure: foam rolling my outer thighs. I have to do it regularly, and I still do lots of calf and foot stretches throughout the day, but the foam rolling has completely healed my pain.

It may not work for everyone, but it's worth a try!

Tonya
TonyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 04:37 PM  
DachsieDogMom

When my PF was active I stopped all workouts too. It still look a long time to go away, 5-6 months.
DachsieDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 05:31 PM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaK View Post
I finally just discovered my cure: foam rolling my outer thighs.
I do this also! Love the foam roller.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 07:09 PM  
tigger

Seeing the podiatrist over a 10 year period didn't help my problem. I had several cortisone shots and custom orthotics, and while I had some pain relief, it was always temporary.

A few years ago I began to do a lot of barefoot exercise. I know my podiatrist would not approve, but I haven't seen him since 2008! I have an anti-fatigue mat that I use, and I do all of my kettlebell, strength training, kickboxing and low impact workouts on it barefoot. I also do some high impact. I only wear shoes for very high impact workouts or step, which I only do occassionally, or walking outside.

After a couple of weeks, the amount of pain I experienced was noticeably less. I rarely have foot pain now, and I think it is because I have improved the strength and flexibility of the muscles in my feet. I have also, in the past year, developed an interest in foam rolling and trigger point therapy; I don't know how helpful it is overall but it feels good in a weird, painful type of way???
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-11, 07:59 PM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

Wow!!! You guys have given me so much to think about!

This is so driving me insane. Even standing leg work bothers my foot. Cardio helps my mental state so much. I find myself obsessively thinking about running and and step workouts.

kelbelle: That is it exactly!! And your husband is so right. I think I will copy those words out and look at them when I get crazy. I think part of the reason that I developed pf in the first place was "cute" shoes with no support. I reallly should have known better.

I will check out the resources you all have given me. I had thought of getting Yogatoes anyway because I also have Morton's neuroma, although it hasn't really bothered me much for years. And I think maybe I need to stretch more than I have been doing. Thanks for the links, Dobbie! I had a pair of Earth shoes many years ago and they were very comfortable.

hdw: I lived in Birkenstocks all summer. They didn't cure me, but they sure felt good.

And Sancho I will try to find that doctor online and see if the book is available.

Thank you all so much - I feel better already! I know I need to accept that this sucks and get on with it. I haven't visited a medical professional yet, but I have heard of so many conflicting results that I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not.

Another question: How often do/did you do the stretches?
Old 10-02-11, 08:14 PM  
Dobby
VF Supporter

You're welcome! If you get some Earth shoes remember to ease in to wearing them. There is no store near me that sells them (downside to boondocks!! lol) but I have been ordering them thru Planetshoes.com and have been happy with their service. I just got some Earth Glide sneakers...in red...very cute even for an oldster like me! They are light and comfortable.

It will be a full time job to work your way thru all the good advice here!

Pam
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 03:29 AM  
bearcatfan

It took me the better part of 6-8 months to rid myself of it. I consider it in remission, though, because sometimes I still get twinges. I self-diagnosed before I went to a sports medicine doctor to confirm it. He said it was all about the shape of my foot, not the exercise I was doing.

1. I wear socks that have arch support in them, I think they are Hanes. I have found them at local superstores. In a pinch, I wear an arch support bandage but the socks are enough.

2. I rarely go barefoot, and I grew up walking outside without shoes! That was the hardest for me. I wear New Balance slides that I can get on and off in a nanosecond, but I definitely notice my feet start to ache if I walk around more than a few minutes without them.

3. I had to lay off step and other impact for about six months. It was really hard. But now I can do whatever I want ... I am not a runner, but I do Turbo Fire and step.

4. I have custom orthotics that I wear in my workout shoes (but only in my workout shoes, I don't feel I need to wear them 24/7).

5. I never wore a night splint. It drove me nuts, and I honestly felt worse wearing it. I will, however, do stretches that include a runner's stretch. I would do them whenever I thought of it ... sitting at the computer, first thing in the morning, etc.

Everybody's different, but I think if you "catch" it early you can do more to help yourself and be on the disabled list for a shorter period of time.
Old 10-03-11, 05:26 PM  
Betsy
VF Supporter

I live kind of in the boonies too, Pam. I have a wide foot too so it is hard to buy anything off the shelf anywhere, let alone out here in the sticks. I will check out that website too. Thanks!

Bearcatfan: Interesting what your doc said about foot shape. What about the foot shape makes one more prone to pf? Did he say? Lots of good advice here. Hopefully, some of it will stick.
Old 10-03-11, 07:43 PM  
bfit

You've gotten good advice here, but I definitely second the recommendations to see a podiatrist. Orthotics can do wonders. Also, maybe you could go to a running store and have your foot/shoe type assessed to make sure you're wearing the proper kind of shoe. My brother successfully got over PT with just a change of shoes.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 03:40 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post

Bearcatfan: Interesting what your doc said about foot shape. What about the foot shape makes one more prone to pf? Did he say? Lots of good advice here. Hopefully, some of it will stick.
I can't remember exactly, unfortunately. It was something about how my arch was unusually high. Mine was brought on by moving things out of my flooding basement for about five hours straight. He said it would have happened eventually, but that the extra stress brought on by that activity hastened it.

I'm glad I went to a sports medicine guy, because working out is important to me. He understood, and we talked about non-aggressive things to do for treatment. He did an x-ray just to make sure nothing was broken. I probably could have saved some money since my diagnosis was correct, lol.

Tags
foot, foot cramps, foot pain, plantar fasciitis