Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-11, 10:43 AM  
herya

Cheap workout tablet alert: HP is discontinuing their TouchPad line, selling at $99

You might be interested in getting one to play your workouts on:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/l...n-sale-for-99/
HP is discontinuing their WebOS system and selling off the devices they have in stock, the TouchPad is one very up to date tablet and although going forward it can only be used for basic fun (web, email, multimedia, reading) as the official app store will probably close, it is still a lot of tablet for $99. I used to have a WebOS phone and it's a fantastic operating system, pity to see it discontinued but good bargains to be had!
Old 08-20-11, 11:13 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Was anyone able to find one of these? My SO was looking for one for himself and he couldn't find one anywhere.
Old 08-20-11, 11:18 AM  
herya

Apparently HP are releasing stock in batches, also the retailers who already had it can reduce the price and be refunded by HP somehow, or they can send the stock back and HP will then sell it through their website. In other words there should be more of them coming soon but some retailers put restrictions in place as people were grabbing them in dozens!
I'm definitely getting one if they show up in Europe. As far as I know they play Flash so should be a lot better for online video sites than the iPads.
Old 08-20-11, 11:27 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

can it store Word documents?

i was thinking of getting some type of tablet computer (not the iPad/iPad2). the reason i didn't want an iPad brand is because i heard that in order to read a word doc, you have to scan it and store it in the iPad as a .pdf file.

i wanted to get one to store my lead music sheets for the band that i'm in. easier than carrying a binder!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 11:34 AM  
herya

bzar, here it says that out of the box it can view Word documents, but not edit them:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/touchp...w-32249-5.html
Old 08-20-11, 11:36 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
Apparently HP are releasing stock in batches, also the retailers who already had it can reduce the price and be refunded by HP somehow, or they can send the stock back and HP will then sell it through their website. In other words there should be more of them coming soon but some retailers put restrictions in place as people were grabbing them in dozens!
I'm definitely getting one if they show up in Europe. As far as I know they play Flash so should be a lot better for online video sites than the iPads.
Thank you so much! I'll tell him to keep looking! He's been looking since this AM - he a techy computer guy (that's what he does for work) so he is really excited. Thanks for this info, I'll definitely pass it on!
Old 08-20-11, 11:40 AM  
herya

Ali, apparently Sam's Club has the 32GB version for $149 still in stock.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...hPad_WiFi_32GB

Tell your SO to follow this engadget link comments, people are posting tips as to where to get them.
Old 08-20-11, 11:46 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I almost bought one at Costco last month. Now that HP is discontinuing it will there be any support for it?
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-11, 11:53 AM  
herya

I would expect that regarding existing hardware/software there will be technical support, warranty etc available just like for any other computer unit they officially sell.

The future of the operating system and app development is unclear, however - they don't seem to be interested in actively developing it anymore but they may license it out to other manufacturers or sell it off.

They are certainly not going to manufacture any more devices so I wouldn't base any long term plans on this purchase but at this price I would buy it just for simple tasks.
Old 08-20-11, 12:46 PM  
sweatmonger

My DH heard about this last night from my brother who works in software, went out this morning to get one, and they are GONE. Everywhere here, at least. People are now selling them on kijiji and Craigslist for double the amount of the sale price.

Metamorphed with TA June 2011
sweatmonger is offline   Reply With Quote