Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-11, 08:20 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Why do we do what we do?

I have lurked here since 1997. Starte dposting within the last few years. Just wanted to get an idea of why we all come here. I have read posts from people who don't do video's anymore, but go to the gym. I have read posts from superfit advanced exercisers who I would love to have half that commitment. I have read posts from people who like gentle workouts like walking . I have learned about different types of exercise that never would have been on my radar....kettlebels, ropes, sand bags, gliding discs..you name it..there is truly something for everyone. But why do we do what we do. Do we do it for health....vanity...mental clarity? For me in the beginning, it was vanity, but as I have gotten older and wiser its about feeling good and being healthy. How about you? Why do you do what you do?
CHAPLYN61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 08:23 PM  
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplyn61 View Post
for me in the beginning, it was vanity, but as i have gotten older and wiser its about feeling good and being healthy.
+1
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 08:43 PM  
MKEMom

I also began out of vanity, and the realization that I am truly a happier person when I am working out consistently. Now, I've come to really love exercise. Had I not discovered videos, though, that would never have happened. I'd still be dreading my twenty-minute treadmill sessions instead of looking forward to my hour-long videos all day.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 09:15 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplyn61 View Post
for me in the beginning, it was vanity, but as i have gotten older and wiser its about feeling good and being healthy.
+2
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 09:34 PM  
Sass

Health 1st for me...back in 2008 I was at the end of my rope. I wanted to die. I had every (all of it - was on my way to a stroke or heart disease) and the worst symptoms of HBP ever. I was on six different medications and was in the ER, it seemed like every week, trying to get relief for chronic clustering migraines. Nasty. Today, 60lbs lighter and fit...I just have one symptom from hypertension because in the end (my doctor and I) found out that my ailment is hereditary (which was disappointing because I had worked hella hard to get rid of it) and that's occasional water retention which a little water pill combats. I just refuse to go back to all of that. Going 100% H20 and giving up soda and other corn syrupy beverages was the best decision I made in my life.

2ndly...vanity. "I like looking good. What?" --Will Smith as Mike Lowry (Bad Boys II)

3rdly because I have a genuine interest in nutrition, fitness and everything that comes with them now and I am addicted and have been since June 12, 2008. I am in way too deep so this is totally, "like forever". Shia LeBouf as Sam Witwicki? (Transformers) Ha!
Old 07-28-11, 09:51 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Sass, that's awesome! Congrats!

I've met life-long friends here - one I still meet up with twice a year, and we live across the country from each other.

I started coming here - maybe in 1997? - when I was going to college and finding it hard to get to the gym. I still use videos for fitness. I'm about to retire, and now I'm planning on adding the gym back into my life, but I will never leave VF.
Old 07-28-11, 09:57 PM  
suegy3

I want to look good and feel good.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:05 PM  
Elise7

I like to have a strong, healthy body. I'm size 10 and don't want to lose, but I like to be toned.

Exercise is like a happy medicine for me!
Elise7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:06 PM  
homefitnessjunki

I'd say in my case, fitness/health/nutrition has always been the biggest thing my parents ingrained in my head growing up.

The parental influence aside, I truly believe Plato's quote in keeping an active life per below:

"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it. "

I strive to be the strongest woman I can ever be and wish to age gracefully.

There is a link on ABC news featuring this baby boomer - Ernestine Shepard, defying the ubiquitous image of a senior citizen.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/baby...aylist=1363742

My parents, despite being younger than Ernestine, keep an active life. They are not frail and give their grandkids a run for their money on tennis and swimming. I aspire to be like them.

I'd like to live my life to the fullest and not short change myself! Fitness is just part of the package.
homefitnessjunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-11, 10:26 PM  
KellyMarie65

<<I'd like to live my life to the fullest and not short change myself! Fitness is just part of the package.>>

This is me too.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote