Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-11, 04:10 PM  
54sneakers
VF Supporter

Official 2011 Beauty Tips Thread

I can't believe no one started this yet....

What have been your hits and misses for the past year? For me they were:

Hits:
Lacura foundation from Aldi; wonderful and so much cheaper than my Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation ($3.49 vs. $45.00 for one).
WEN cleansing conditioner
T3 Flat Iron with Color Lock Spray
Argon oil
Tarte gel blushes

Misses:
Lipstick Queen Jean Queen lipstick/gloss;great color but doesn't last (on me anyway)
Philosophy Microdelivery peel pads (ouch) but I do love the Microdelivery wash.

What's on your list?
54sneakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:29 PM  
Denise

I have discovered that you don't really need all those expensive creams to have really great skin this year.

I purchased the Clarisonic and haven't looked back. My serums really work so much better since I'm starting off with "clean" skin. I then bought one for each of my teenage daughers who have teenage skin and it has made a big improvement in their skin.
I discovered the power of Vitimin C from Cosmetic Skin Solutions. I only have to add sunscreen. At 46 I was noticing my eye area just wasn't as good as it used to be. The Vit. C in the day and Retin A at night is all I use now. I get complements all the time on how good my skin looks.
http://www.cosmeticskinsolutions.com/
Also, Argon Oil or Jojoba Oil for when I feel I need a bit more hydration and removing eye makeup.

I also switch to WEN for my hair. I've always had fine, thin hair and with age it seems to be even thinner. My hair stylist asked me what I changed because my hair was healthy and a bit thicker, now she is a WEN girl to.

Crystal Deoderant was another switch. I was sick of the yellowing for my tops. And nothing seemed to work in the summer for me. The Crystal really works. Mind you it is not an anti persprant. In the summer I brush on a little baking soda to help with any sweating.
Old 01-02-11, 04:39 PM  
F1mom

Hits:

-DHC Cleansing Oil. Pricey but worth it. Skin felt like buttah, no zits or breakouts.
-Alpha Hydrox Oil Free Formula
-Avon Anew Stretch Mark Cream. From bright red to faded in 8 weeks using it 2x daily. Buy it off eBay - it's cheaper than even the Rep discounted price.
-John Frieda Frizz Ease Secret Weapon. Salon quality blowouts with this stuff and I don't have to flat iron after

Misses:

-L'Oreal Excellence Creme Haircolor in Medium Brown. Way too many red-highlights and made me look like I had hot roots when I'm only 5% gray.
-Avon Anew Clinical Eye Lift. Highly recommended by Allure, went bad in less than 6 months and made my eyes burn
-Buckhead Hair Salons (for the ATL VFers). Snotty, unhelpful, critical of anything but stick straight hair and incapable of doing any style except long & straight w/bangs or a short layered helmet. Why pay for attitude? Salons in the 'burbs are much nicer.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:44 PM  
wendy2

California Baby unscented shampoo and body wash for super sensitive skin is a great facial cleanser that doesn't dry me out or break me out. I also love the unscented lotion and use it on my body and face. Wonderful stuff, and it rates really well on the EWG site, Skindeep.com.

I don't use many products, so I don't have a lot to share... Haven't found a great shampoo, though right now I'm trying the Cali Baby tea tree and lavender stuff, and we'll see how that goes.

Wendy
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 04:46 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise View Post
Crystal Deoderant was another switch. I was sick of the yellowing for my tops. And nothing seemed to work in the summer for me. The Crystal really works. Mind you it is not an anti persprant. In the summer I brush on a little baking soda to help with any sweating.
Winners:
The Crystal Deo was a big winner for DH & I this year. We both made the switch (and DH is about the most UNnatural of product users....but we both are really happy with it!)

Olay Skin Regenerating Serum (name?)...recommended by Paula's Choice as a good moisturizer for oily skin. Had to get used to the texture, but now I really like it.

Misses:
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel (another Paula's Choice rec but didn't cut it!)

Primer - expensive, inexpensive...doesn't matter....I stopped using them, I stopped breaking out so badly.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 06:11 PM  
vwlizard

Best product ever:
African black soap - I haven't had clear skin in 30 years and haven't had 1 zit since I started using this (have tried Proactive, drug store brand, prescriptions - EVERYTHING). I order mine from coastalscents.com

I use just the soap and Alpha Hydrox (moisturizer at night, silk with SPF in the am). That's my whole routine. Easy and it works.

I'm also using Alba bath and shower foam as both my body wash and shampoo/conditioner. Works as well as my seperate Nexxus products (which until now where the best I've used). I love having one product to do it all. Since it has no phalates or parabans, so I'm using it on my kids, too. I like having one "do it all" product that eveyone in the family can use.
vwlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 07:15 PM  
Tan

Winners

- Acnisal facial wash - as good if not better than the expensive Murad and Skin Doctors products for a half of the price

- Bravura costmetics - in particular the salycylic acid and glycolic acid preparations and the spf 15 moisturiser - again great products at lower prices - go to www.lookgr8.co.uk They also supply the crystal deoderant that many people mentioned. I have been using them for a while and I love them.

- Aussie Haircare range - makes my long hair feel conditioned and silky

- This worked to give body and lift to my fine long hair:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaByliss-212...pr_product_top

- I don't like to wear make up but sometimes my skin needs some extra help and glominerals pressed base is perfect

http://www.gloprofessional.com/GMProducts.aspx?l=12

- nailtiques formula 2 really strengthened my normally brittle nails, now they are like sheets of metal

Losers

I'm not much of a costmetic junkie so I didn't have any this year
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 08:18 PM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Thanks Denise!

Denise,

Thanks so much for recommending cosmetic skin solutions for serums. I have been using Skinceuticals and Environ for serums and moisturizers, but see that I can get similar products for much less cost.

Also, I second the Clarisonic brush as a big hit. I have been using it for years and it truly was the best addition to my skin care regimen.

Jo
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 08:20 PM  
hotncmom

Aqua Glycolic face wash - you get this behind the counter at the pharmacy. My dermatologist recommended it. It has alpha hydroxy acids in it and is better than the stuff you get OTC. It keeps my skin clear and also helps exfoliate which somewhat helps with wrinkles. I wish I had found this years ago. I never had big zits or anything but always had little under the skin bumps and now they're gone. I even go without makeup sometimes.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-11, 08:22 PM  
GMonkey

Good:
Tigi Superstar shampoo/condish
Alterna caviar mousse
Moroccan Oil
Alterna HS

Jason bodywash
Nature's Gate herbal body lotion
Kiss My Face sunblock spray

MAC mattifying lotion
MAC tinted moisturizer
Physician's Formula high spf powder foundation
mac eyeshadow
Cover Girl lengthening mascara
Boots blush (this stuff ROCKS!!!!!)
Neutrogena lip gloss
Clinique water resistant eyeliner--Mega awesome!

CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer--another standout favorite!

Yuck:
Olay defninity touch of foundation moisturizer
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
argan oil, beauty thread