Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-10, 06:40 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Can scratched dvds be fixed?

Hi all! I somehow scratched Pursuit of Happy Hips & now it freezes in some places. A lot of my dvds have scuffs & scratches & they play fine but the scratches on this one are pretty severe.

Is there a way to polish out or resurface a dvd? Has there been a thread about this? I tried searching "scratch/scratched" here & didn't find anything...is there a better search term?

Or is it cheaper or simpler to just buy another one? TIA!
Old 04-24-10, 07:11 AM  
beospenser

I have had success using one of those powered DVD cleaners sold at Best Buy and other places (usually about $20-30). You spray the DVD with water and then put it into the gadget and it rotates and gently buffs out the scratches. It works for most superficial scratches. If the scratch is very deep, though, you are out of luck.

If you only have one DVD like this, it's cheaper just to buy a new DVD. If you have kids in the house who are constantly taking DVDS out of the player and tossing them wherever....it's worth the investment!
beospenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 07:43 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Thanks, beospencer! Kids are older now () & don't bother my exercise dvds...I think I just have to buy a new PHH.
Old 04-24-10, 07:57 AM  
horsemom2

you may be able to get it fixed at a brick and mortar store like Blockbusters.

I have had luck with furniture polish on all but one scratched dvd.
There is a toothpaste method too.
previous threads on VF or the internet will help

Barb S
who finds most scratches insignificant
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 12:34 PM  
goldillocks

I have a question. If you make a copy of a scratched dvd that keeps freezing (i.e in ISO format) and then burn it to a new blanc dvd will the new dvd play fine or will it be damaged too ? ?
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 01:04 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldillocks View Post
I have a question. If you make a copy of a scratched dvd that keeps freezing (i.e in ISO format) and then burn it to a new blanc dvd will the new dvd play fine or will it be damaged too ? ?
Sometimes that will work; I've done that before and have been able to play the copy. But if the scratch is so deep, the program/computer will still freeze at the same spot. But it's worth a try.

For repairing scratches, I use the Maxell Disc Scratch Repair Kit . The kit got mixed reviews on Amazon but I've gotten fairly good results. It has corrected some badly scratched DVDs but it won't correct the very deep scratches. I often use it for rentals that skip. My local K-Mart carries it for about $10. Supposedly you get enough to repair up to 100 discs. Step One is similar to the toothpaste method that Barb mentioned and Step Two is the spray cleaner/polish/sealer.
Old 04-24-10, 01:12 PM  
msladybug

If you resurface a DVD, is it "good as new" or "like new"? What I mean is, if the DVD sticks it can correct the stick, but can there be there some loss of picture or sound quality because of the the actual resurfacing? Or maybe it won't last as long?

Curious, I bought one DVD set off of Amazon, that was suppose to be "like new". When I got it it was horribly scratched, and had sticky stuff spilled on the surface....like maybe dried fruit juice. And the DVD stuck. Contact the seller and they said the "forgot to resurface it". They offered to refund my money after I returned the DVD, ...though I didn't trust them to do that if they misrepresented the DVD condition. They said they would sent a mailing envelope, but never did.

I'd never heard of resufacing prior to then, and didn't know what they were talking about. Is resurfacing good enough to call a badly scratched and soiled DVD...."like new" for selling purposes?
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-10, 03:20 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by msladybug View Post
I'd never heard of resufacing prior to then, and didn't know what they were talking about. Is resurfacing good enough to call a badly scratched and soiled DVD...."like new" for selling purposes?
Mr RedPanda has a DVD cleaning kit which he uses to remove light scratches. I list the condition as "excellent" when selling them.

I would only list the condition as "like new" if the DVD really is "like new" (ie you can't tell it's been played).

I received a DVD in trade recently that had really deep scratches, and he buffed them out with silver cleaning polish! I can't see any scratches but can tell it's been resurfaced. I wouldn't sell the DVD because it's one I've wanted for a long time, but if I did, I would list the condition as "very good".

I believe in being scrupulously honest on eBay and have 100% positive feedback. Buyers often state that the item was in the condition I described.
Old 04-24-10, 08:09 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I read that Pledge helps, and tried it on several DVDs. It worked very well.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 08:12 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone !

Tags
cleaning dvds, scratched dvds