Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-20, 07:06 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today has been a sad day for me. I was watching last night as a new litter was birthed at Warrior Canine Connection. Actually, they don't show the birth (in case something goes wrong) but they report on Instagram. Someone I know who also watches the puppies keeps me informed. I stayed up until eleven and then went to bed. She'd had six puppies by then, and this morning I learned that was all.

They had to put one down today. It had a severe cleft palate and they said it would be the kindest thing to do because it couldn't eat. Then there was another one who wouldn't nurse, and they ended up shutting down the cam. We suspect something may be wrong.

The one who wasn't eating is a rare black and tan Lab. They had another one in a litter born about five weeks ago. She is absolutely beautiful. We have enjoyed watching her. Well, we enjoy watching all the puppies, but they are calling her their unicorn. We were hoping to get to watch another unicorn. Hopefully, he's okay.

I did Cathe's Fit Tower workout for lower body and core. I had to skip two sections because I can't do squats, but the rest of it went okay. I attribute that to Aleve. My knee is still bothering me, but my left foot is inflamed as well. It hadn't been bothering me too much until today. So I got desperate enough to take Aleve. I don't like taking meds, even OTC ones, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Got me through the workout. Then I did a knee rehab DVD.

Anita, will they not do a COVID test at the hospital? They are doing them on all incoming patients at ours. I wouldn't think you'd have to get your own. You are right about it being easier to shop now that stores are mandating masks. There are still plenty of people ignoring the order, but enough of them are doing it that I feel better about being there. I saw on the news last night that two young boys lost both of their parents to COVID. I still don't understand why people are blowing this virus off.

Paula, kudos to you for doing a yoga practice with zingers. I wouldn't be inclined to do it.

Hello, Sophronisba. Good to have you here. It has been a long time since I did Cardio Kicks. Or Total Body Tri-sets.

Everyone have a good evening.
Old 07-23-20, 07:49 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

DH and I went for a walk this morning. It was 80 degrees by 8:00 am. We walked around the neighborhood pond. Later, I did a cardio workout.

I also did some more cards, mostly like the ones I already posted, and laundry and sorted things around the house.

I read both physical books and Kindle books and really have no preference. A good story is a good story regardless of how I read it.

Dede - Our state is a strange one. How we're doing depends on who you listen to. Our numbers continue to go up, but not steeply. Some numbers are good, but others aren't. I do know we're probably in the best shape of any of the southeastern states, but that's not saying much these days. I'm sorry about the puppies. That's hard. Are you going to see a doctor about your knee and foot?

Anita - It's good to figure out what your priorities are. It sounds like you want what you have now in a new location. Wouldn't the hospital or doctor arrange for you to take a test? My thought is that it's good your minister is young enough to understand technology and have the energy to try different things.

Paula - It's good you found a workout that does good things for your body. You're making progress on the quilt. Good job. I thought of you this morning when they announced on the news that California has gone into first place with the most number of COVID patients since the pandemic started and had passed New York . I thought of your reports on people not doing what they should. Stay safe!

Sophronisba - Welcome! It's great to have you drop in. We have curbside pickup of library books here at 10 libraries in the county. They are spread out so that everyone should hopefully be near one. I can understand your wish that your parents didn't go to an in-person service. We don't heven have that option since North Carolina hasn't moved out of Phase 2 of the reopening. Where are you located?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 07:49 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Chair Cardio/Strength, followed by Yoga With Kassandra, Flexibility. Also went for a neighborhood walk with DH.

Anita, I hope the physical went well. I'm with DeeDee, they won't do a COVID 19 test at your hospital? Seems odd to me. Glad the waterfowl babies are dwindling down. I've been checking the CDC COVID Data Tracker today California moved into first place - the most cases per 100,000 population. We've been about third until today. It's an interesting site if you want to see how your state is doing. CDC COVID Data Tracker

Deedee, what is the Warrior Canine Connection? Sounds like fun watching puppies, all puppies are adorable.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 07:14 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today will be a hot sweaty day with feel like temps over 100 - yuck! I'll be working at the WRC, trying to walk Gus (giving him lots of chances to swim), one trip to the compost pile, and putzing around inside in the AC.

Dede, sorry about the sad dog birth episode you were watching. I'll see who can test me for Covid closer to my surgery. I think the surgical place will end up doing it as they were thinking my usual clinic couldn't do it on time.

Laura, I've been researching senior living options near my part of town (actually a bit north of it in the suburb I take Gus walks every day). There's several options here, condos, coops, apartments, CCRCs, etc. This group kind of creates its own place and I think that will be lots harder to arrange. We do have several architects in our group that do know senior housing so it would be interesting to see what might emerge.

Paula, my physical and blood work came out fine for surgery. I'm kind of relieved nothing like diabetes is appearing yet. I was surprised to be 10 lbs down from my last visit (thought I'd be 20 lbs up from my last visit). Frankly I think I've lost a lot of muscle from when I used to do kettlebells and circus.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 05:39 PM  
Sophronisba

Hi, everyone! I did The Stepping Zone yesterday and Kickbox Bootcamp today. For whatever reason I am in a phase of doing a lot of my old favorites instead of the newer stuff.

I am in Michigan, which I think has done a decent job of keeping COVID under control, although our numbers have started to go up again a little bit recently. We have a mask mandate when we are in public areas and most businesses here are not open. I have been working from home since March. My parents are in Arkansas, and although they now have a mask mandate my understanding is it isn't being followed terribly well right now.

sciencelady, good luck with the surgery!

Laura, what do you like to read?
Sophronisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 07:55 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Rael Pilates System 17 and my PT stretches. It was a nice day and we flew to Big Bear. DH had heard about a restaurant near the airport that has a large patio with is open (here only patio dining is open). Anyway we walked there and had lunch (masks required). Afterward we went for a 50 minute walk - a nice day.

Anita, sounds as though you're able to keep a reasonably normal routine in spite of everything. Sounds as though you have lots of options when moving becomes necessary. Glad your blood work came back OK for the surgery. I'd love to lose a few pounds and I know I've gained over the quarentine - my underwear is tight - aways a sure sign I need to lose a few pounds. Boo about losing muscle though.

Sophronisba, I believe I heard Michigan is doing well in keeping it's cases level. I live in California, we did well for a while and got our cases down, then the Gov started allowing reopening and we immediately had a spike. So now some things have had to close again - malls, gyms, indoor dining, hair salons, nail salons etc. I'm thinking many of the small businesses will end up closing for good. I hope they can hang on. I hope your parents are OK. Most of my family live in North Carolina - near where Laura lives. NC is doing better than CA but not alot so. We always worry about family.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-20, 08:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a busy day. DH and went for a walk this morning and then Jessica's Kickboxing Circuit Workout. It was a good workout. This afternoon, I picked up my parents, and we went to pick up library books. Then we went to Dairy Queen and got Blizzards and ate them in the car. At the time, it was 84 degrees. Can you imagine temperatures below 90 degrees? Today was our one day of less hot temps.

Paula - It's good you had such a nice day. You did several things, and it sounds like it all fell into place.

Anita - It sounds like a DIY senior living arrangement. It sounds like an optimal area for you to live in. I'm sure Gus would approve.

Sophronisba - Better comfort workouts than comfort food, I guess. My parents used to live in the northern suburbs of Detroit, so I'm familiar with part of your state. I am reading fiction these days. I like mysteries and general fiction and some romance. My favorite genre is historical fiction.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 07-25-20, 08:00 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Yesterday got too hot to give Gus his walk after the WRC shift, so hoping to get him outside for his walk this morning before we get into a fully dangerous temp. There'll be some rain today also, which should do my plants good!

Sophronisba, I've got cousins in MI in the Kalamazoo area and I used to go to camp in Three Rivers, MI. Glad MI is following mask wearing rules - our masks in MN became a rule more than just a recommendation. I don't mind about that! Did you have to rebuy your old favorites from VHS tape to DVD? I still have a VCR that works, so glad about that! I hope your parents are OK in Arkansas - heard it was getting to be pretty high in case counts also for Covid .

Paula, glad you flew to a good restaurant yesterday! I'm trying to maintain some normality in my life and trying to get some stuff done around the house, but some things aren't happening well, like climbing ladders to get on the roof to seal a skylight, climbing ladders to clean windows, lifting heavy things, or bending down to the floor or ground on my left side. At least my ear crystals are behaving a bit better than about a month ago.

Laura, I'm hoping any senior move will be after Gus passes - just don't want to do that to him . We were talking about having dogs in the new place - I know some of the elder living situations currently accept dogs that are lots smaller than Gus. I just don't want to deal with walking Gus through hallways to outside when he's old and not having him pee in the hallways... Right now just letting him outside into my fenced yard is very convenient - no dressing at 2 am!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-20, 03:04 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I didn't post yesterday? I guess it's because I didn't do anything. Well, I did my customized upper body workout, but for some reason, that doesn't count in my head. I ended up taking DH to run errands, though, and that took time. I'm always afraid he will end up not wearing his boot while he's shopping. I know from experience what a pain it is to put it on and take it off at every single store, but I did it because I'm compliant like that. DH? Not so much. Then I came home and did laundry, and a workout never happened. I thought I might do one today, but DH and DS were working outside and they constantly interrupt me for things. I swear, if it's like this when DH retires, I'll never get anything done.

So, I made banana bread instead. Too bad I can't build muscle and burn fat while doing that.

WCC let the other puppy go. He wasn't getting better. The mom delivered four days early, and some people are wondering if that hurt his chance to thrive. He was another black and tan puppy like one from another litter. We are loving watching her. I posted her picture on the GD thread about pets and animal videos.

Paula, Warrior Canine Connection is an organization that breeds Labs and Goldens as service dogs. I watch them on explore.org where I used to watch the eagles.

Laura, I don't know what doctor to see. I saw a rheumatologist a few years ago about my knees. She ran all kinds of tests and said there was nothing she could see to treat. As for my foot, that's a nodule. I have been dealing with them for years, but they are usually on my lower legs. I don't know that I've ever had one on my foot. Ironically, the Aleve I took seems to have helped both. My foot is still a little red and tender, but otherwise fine. And my knee is much better too. Not well enough to do squats, lunges, or ride my spin bike, but at least I can go up and down stairs without grimacing. If I'd known one Aleve would do that, I would have taken it two weeks ago!

Anita, it would be nice if you could have a pet in whatever facility you choose. If I lived alone, I would definitely want one. I especially feel for anyone living alone during COVID. I worry about my Mom. I haven't seen her since this whole thing began. My brother is visiting her (they sit outside, keep their distance, and wear masks), but with DH working at a hospital, I'm afraid to. I sent her a box full of goodies so she'd have something to look forward to, and she enjoyed that. I sent her a happy pill, and she especially likes it. It's a stuffed pill with a smiley face and when you squeeze it, it laughs. I got one for me too. It makes you smile to listen to silly thing laughing.

We are under a storm watch right now. We can hear thunder. The watch is in effect for three more hours. I was going to wash my hair, but I guess I might not be doing it today. Spent too much time working on that banana bread I guess.

Sophronisba, I used to have Stepping Zone. Wasn't that a CIA that had a hi/lo workout on the same disc? If so, I loved the hi/lo workout. It was one of my happy workouts. I had given up step and hi/lo and got rid of a bunch of DVDS. Now I'm doing some step again. I can believe the mask mandate isn't going well in Arkansas. I'm in Tennesee, and it's not going well here either. I'm sure it's a problem all over, but southerners can be particularly defiant. I hope your parents are staying well.

Have a great evening, everyone.
Old 07-25-20, 05:32 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

DH and I went on a walk this morning around the neighborhood pond. It was a lot less humid this morning. Yesterday and today were our break to the really high temps, and it got to only 91-92 both days. Later, I did part of Jessica's travel-friendly strength workout.

I ordered groceries from Publix and went to pick them up. And we went to church. Today just sort of melted away. I'm not sure where it went.

Dede - I'm sorry you had such a frustrating day. I know how days can just get by you when your husband needs support. As far as the doctor goes, I thought something new had happened. It sounds like you need to stock up on Aleve.

Anita - That makes sense about Gus. He probably wouldn't do well in that environment after being used to the house and the yard. Would you have any pet(s) at all?

Laura's Workout Mantras: