Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-20, 11:14 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Not sure how easy but I like:
Dr Mark Hyman: Food What the Heck Should I Eat and Food What the Heck Should I Cook

Also the Whole 30 Cookbooks: There is one called Whole 30 Fast and Easy
Old 06-17-20, 11:59 AM  
desderata

My most used cookbook is Bill Phillip's Eating for Life. It was a companion to Body for Life way back when it was a thing. Most of the recipes are simple, make enough for two, so leftovers for lunch the next day, don't use exotic ingredients and are really tasty.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 12:03 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

There's a series of "Cook This, Not That" cookbooks with easy, illustrated recipes of comfort and restaurant dishes like burgers and spaghetti. The series includes a backyard grill guide, Grill This Not That. I agree with the Fix It And Forget It suggestion for slow cookers.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 12:12 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
There's a series of "Cook This, Not That" cookbooks with easy, illustrated recipes of comfort and restaurant dishes like burgers and spaghetti. The series includes a backyard grill guide, Grill This Not That. I agree with the Fix It And Forget It suggestion for slow cookers.
I was just going to mention those! I have several, but not the griling one. I like that the recipes use everyday ingredients, and not any sauces or spices you would not use for any other recipes.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 12:23 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I was just going to mention those! I have several, but not the griling one. I like that the recipes use everyday ingredients, and not any sauces or spices you would not use for any other recipes.
Yes, and that it was stuff my husband and kids would actually eat, especially after seeing the photos!

The grilling book is very useful. It includes a sauce matrix (I wish I could post a photo of it) that guides you how to make your own sauce, as well as guides to spices, cuts of meat, etc.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 12:28 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Sue! We very rarely eat red meat, and I have an indoor countertop grill, so I never looked up that one.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 02:09 PM  
Demeris

Weight Watchers has a number of very good cookbooks, and you don't have to be on weight watchers to use them and reap their benefits.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 03:07 PM  
psupam

Books by Kathleen Daelemans (Cooking Thin used to be on the food network, Ellie Krieger (who is also a RDN), Volumetrics. I cook light all the time.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 09:37 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I am a little late to the game but wanted to add that the reference to raw veggies caught my eye. As someone who cooks for just myself i find that roasted veggies are far more versatile and are very forgiving for those who don't want to babysit food. Combine roasted veggies with eggs or chicken or other assorted ingredients and you have lots of possibilities.

I find that the trick for a single is to use basic ingredients but to use different spices to make it feel different.

_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-20, 09:48 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
I am a little late to the game but wanted to add that the reference to raw veggies caught my eye. As someone who cooks for just myself i find that roasted veggies are far more versatile and are very forgiving for those who don't want to babysit food. Combine roasted veggies with eggs or chicken or other assorted ingredients and you have lots of possibilities.

I find that the trick for a single is to use basic ingredients but to use different spices to make it feel different.

_____
YADeb
I usually over-buy veggies because my intentions are way better than my actual eating habits, sad to say! Roasting vegetables is so easy and yummy and comes in handy when I've got some sweet peppers, carrots, and radishes (or whatever is in the crisper drawer) that need to be used up soon! I just chop them up and roast them (adding a few other ingredients to make them extra tasty!). They keep in the fridge for a few days, so even if I make a bunch, I just reheat a cup or so per day and, as you said, they are so versatile. You can pair them with so many entrees!

Donna

Tags
cookbook, cookbooks, easy recipe