Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-19, 10:26 PM  
Libby

Working out when sick

When you get an upper respiration infection, do you continue to exercise? Do you feel that you recover faster if you do work out while sick? Or do you totally rest until you feel better? I've always tried to continue exercising unless I'm so sick I'm not able to get up out of bed which is rare for me. Even when I have a bad URI I will usually continue to workout daily. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. For some reason, I think it helps me get well faster. But I'm getting close to 60 so all bets are off. My immune system isn't what it used to be.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 04:31 AM  
Dabbadooey

If I'm able to exercise, I don't consider myself to be that sick.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 08:26 AM  
Demeris

I like this guide to working out while sick:

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/w...rkoutSickEmail
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 08:28 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

I'm 60 too and just coming out of an upper respiratory infection. The first day I started feeling bad I did Cardio Party from LITE and it was fine but for the next 5 days I did nothing.

I wasn't sleeping well (because I couldn't breathe) and still had to work so my energy level was low. For me it was OK to take those rest days. When I finally went back at it over the weekend I felt energized and ready to go! No dread factor at all.

I'm kinder to myself than I used to be. Sitting around after work those few days reading and petting the cats was just what I needed.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 07:40 AM  
Rhonda

I will usually exercise but more in the line of walking, stretching. Yoga is hard for me if there are sun salutations/downward facing dog, especially with a cold or sinus issues as everything rushes to the head and gives me a worst headache than when I started.

My body will tell me also if I need to just not do something. But I usually will do something and it makes me feel better.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 09:25 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I do not exercise when I am sick. I feel that my body needs its energy to heal fully and I don’t want to take the risk of making myself sicker or slow my recovery.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 10:09 AM  
BunnyHop

As I get older I find that letting myself rest does me the most good.

As I feel better I let myself become more active and gradually increase the amount of exertion in my day til I'm back to normal.

If symptoms linger, keep working to figure out what might improve things.

This past winter I had a cough that wouldn't go away. Exertion made it worse, and even hard candies could get me coughing again. Switching to a longer acting cough medicine really helped, but sugar free cough drops did too. I hadn't realized that either one of those things would make such a big difference. Next time I'll be prepared and hopefully the symptoms won't linger.
Old 02-08-19, 06:33 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I do not exercise when I am sick. I feel that my body needs its energy to heal fully and I don’t want to take the risk of making myself sicker or slow my recovery.
This....I am currently under the weather with a nasty cold and the last thing I feel like doing is exercise. I am going to rest and read all weekend and hope I am better by Monday.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 06:44 PM  
DCW

I find that getting quality rest is the best cure. That means in the bed sleeping. I can get one or two days of bed rest and bounce back faster.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 08:38 PM  
ncl

I really pay attention to my body if i am sick. There are times that if not very s sick, I will choose to work out, though with less intensity than usual. If I am feeling very bad, I won't workout. If I choose to work out and it wipes me out, I will back off the next day and reconsider. I use my more beginnery workouts at these times if working. But the last cold I got I didn't do very much at all, had many days in a row without any workouts which was what i felt like I needed at the time.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold virus, exercise when sick, flu, illness, sick, working out with a cold