Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-16, 07:08 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I agree that we all need to figure out what works for us. For me, I haven't completely figured that out yet, but I have noticed that I don't need to workout 6 days a week for 1-2 hours anymore. It makes me feel worn out and it causes me to gain weight, which is the exact opposite effect it had when I was 10 or so years younger. Now I walk at least 10,000 steps a day and do a Jessica Smith workout and I have lost weight and am looking better. I just need to stop eating crap and I'll probably see even more results!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 07:55 AM  
donnamp

I agree Firm Dancer - the article was a bit scant on details such as what the participants were doing daily in addition to formal exercise and their age range and fitness levels. I guess you'd have to find the original study to find out all of the details. I have a sedentary job and long commute so I do try to exercise daily - plus it is my stress relief/sanity saver. I don't workout super hard though so it is sustainable. I may throw in a hard one once in awhile but for the most part my workouts are pretty moderate.

Take care -

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 08:56 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
The key sentence in that article is towards the end: "The group that exercised more, up to 6 times a week did not achieve better results, and reported less energy for daily activities." I think it depends on what your "daily activities" are. There's a big difference between someone who is sedentary most of the day (with a long commute and office job) vs someone who is active and/or a more physical job. Maybe one of the factors in whether or not a 30-minute workout works for us is what is going on in the rest of our life.
I do think that staying active throughout the day is extremely important in this equation. If your workouts are leaving you drained, and you're not able to be productive during your day, then you need to reexamine your routine. But, being too sedentary and not working working out at all or enough, can have the same effect. From personal experience, when I don't work out, or when I do a light workout, I'm pretty lethargic that day. Again, we are all different.

I think as a whole, we are not nearly as active throughout our day than even our mothers and grandmothers were. Today's technologically has made our physical lives easier. Plus, many more women are working outside the home, and many do have long commutes, etc.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-16, 06:28 PM  
lorajc

I guess it has to do with how fit you are.....they are plenty for me...I'm older and out of shape. Sixty minute ones are daunting.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 07:53 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I guess i just feel like the weight creeps up little by little each year, and to keep it off, I just feel like 30 minutes isn't enough for me. That's what I mean by results. I eat healthy, but not 100% clean all the time. I'm too busy for that, ha ha! I'm not trying to get a six pack, but I would like to just keep my pants fitting the same way. And part of me just doesn't feel worked out. Or not satisfied in some way.
This is me also.
I try to eat healthy and to eat less as I get older, but emotional eating and stress usually get in the way.
I no longer do high-intensity workouts now that I'm older. In fact, when I was in my 20s, a 30-45 minute run or swim was all that I needed.
Now that I've scaled back to lighter workouts - CS, Essentrics, Walking, Swimming - well, for me, 30 minutes just doesn't do much. It doesn't make much sense to me either. I would think that it's quite obvious that:
High-Intensity = less time needed to workout
Less-Intensity = more needed to see and feel results.
Anyway, I do need to rush out of the door and look forward to reading all the other responses.
Old 06-03-16, 09:21 AM  
Exercise Diva

I can no longer do hour long intense workouts anymore either - my joints don't always like it for one and there's too much dread factor for me now. I will say the one exception to this is Barre 3 - I do enjoy some of their hour long online classes and will try to fit those in twice a week. My preferred workout now is a 30 minute (or less) HIIT/metabolic workout followed by a 30 minute Essentrics workout. If I feel wiped out from the first workout, I will reach for a more stretchy Essentrics or if I'm feeling game, I will add on a strength focused Essentrics. What I love is that the first workout keeps my heart rate going during the Essentrics workout so I do feel as though I'm getting a solid hour of cardio and toning with the icing on the cake being a nice stretched out feeling too.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 09:59 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Now that I've scaled back to lighter workouts - CS, Essentrics, Walking, Swimming - well, for me, 30 minutes just doesn't do much. It doesn't make much sense to me either. I would think that it's quite obvious that:
High-Intensity = less time needed to workout
Less-Intensity = more needed to see and feel results.
I agree - 30 minutes of lighter stuff just doesn't feel like enough. I try to do at least two - a cardio (walking, Leslie, Jessica) and a strength. And later in the day I add on some other activity - either yard work or more walking. I'm retired so I have the luxury of working out when I feel like it
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 11:53 AM  
dnk
VF Supporter

[]
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 11:58 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exercise Diva View Post
I can no longer do hour long intense workouts anymore either - my joints don't always like it for one and there's too much dread factor for me now. I will say the one exception to this is Barre 3 - I do enjoy some of their hour long online classes and will try to fit those in twice a week. My preferred workout now is a 30 minute (or less) HIIT/metabolic workout followed by a 30 minute Essentrics workout. If I feel wiped out from the first workout, I will reach for a more stretchy Essentrics or if I'm feeling game, I will add on a strength focused Essentrics. What I love is that the first workout keeps my heart rate going during the Essentrics workout so I do feel as though I'm getting a solid hour of cardio and toning with the icing on the cake being a nice stretched out feeling too.
This sounds like a great plan!

If I could swing it w/ my schedule, I'd love to workout multiple times a day - maybe 30 min morning, afternoon and evening - nothing crazy hard, but I think that way of working out would keep my joints from bothering me and would keep me moving throughout the day which I think is so important and something that is hard to do w/ today's lifestyles of long commutes, sitting at desk and using technology to accomplish so many things in our life - to paraphrase Leslie - you don't burn calories w/ e-mail!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-16, 12:44 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
This sounds like a great plan!

If I could swing it w/ my schedule, I'd love to workout multiple times a day - maybe 30 min morning, afternoon and evening - nothing crazy hard, but I think that way of working out would keep my joints from bothering me and would keep me moving throughout the day which I think is so important and something that is hard to do w/ today's lifestyles of long commutes, sitting at desk and using technology to accomplish so many things in our life - to paraphrase Leslie - you don't burn calories w/ e-mail!

Donna
Same here. If I didn't have to be chained to a computer 8 hours a day, I'd do a 30 minute workout in the morning, another in the afternoon and maybe a short, easy walking workout in the evening. I work from home one day a week and that's what I do on that day and also most weekends. I find if I try to do an hour workout, it just tires me out and then I get injured or sick, so I gave that up a few years ago.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minute workouts, duration and frequency