Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-12-14, 03:34 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Anyone else have pain when hopping on one foot?

Not that I have many workouts that call for hopping on one foot, but when it's called for I have pretty significant pain in the hopping foot and it happens fairly quickly. The whole bottom of my foot kind of tenses up and sort of cramps. For several minutes afterward the bottoms of my feet feel really tender. Since hopping on one foot typically occurs in a cardio workout this means a stop in the workout to get things back to normal.

I have flat feet. Do you think this has something to do with it?

I can jump on two feet, do plyo stuff, and other impact stuff without any pain in my feet. It's just the one foot hopping that hurts.

Does anyone have any ideas to strengthen the foot or minimize the pain? Of course I know I can just not hop on one foot but I'm very type A and like to do everything that's presented in a workout

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 03:53 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

I don't have flat feet but I experience pain when hopping on one foot. The pain that I have is a little different than what you described. For me, it's a kind of jarring pain to the bones that dissipates after a few seconds. I don't do too many impact workouts anymore but what I've done in the past to minimize the pain is to start the hopping on both feet and then switch to one. I don't know why I have the pain or why this works for me. If you try it, let me know if it works for you.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 04:21 PM  
Chomper

I don't have flat feet and don't have the type of pain you describe, but... When jumping on one leg, I do notice that I have trouble staying up on the ball of the foot, like maybe the muscles of my feet and calves give way after a while.

If the pain didn't hit so fast for you, I would suggest working your way up gradually over time. Maybe that's still possible if you start with 5 seconds per leg. If the pain hits within 5 seconds, maybe just start with standing calf raises (one leg at a time), even holding dumbbells.

I am not in any way qualified to suggest this to you since I am just a fitness enthusiast. Just a thought!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-14, 04:39 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

here's an interesting Reddit discussion on the problem when using both feet. My guess is that the shock can double when you only use one foot.

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikei..._in_your_foot/
Old 01-13-14, 12:36 AM  
Diavolobella
VF Supporter

A little bit

Sometimes when doing that move I can feel my feet begin to cramp up (so I stop). I have more of a problem with my calf muscles seizing up from it, so I keep it to a real minimum or it is charley horse time. Two footed hopping is no problem.

"We all want the looooove...without the handles!" Tracy Effinger

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Diavolobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 01:12 AM  
keilan00

I have foot pain that comes and goes. I had no idea why. Then I realized I've rolled my left ankle/foot many times in the past. The immediate pain went away after the incidents but perhaps there was long term damage that's rearing it's head as I get older.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-14, 11:44 AM  
PrairieGem

I have flat feet that hurt all. the. time... but hopping (oddly) is not one of my problems! I can only think of one workout in my collection that requires it for any length of time (Ten Days to a Better Body), and it wasn't until I incorporated a lot of barre into my workouts that I was able to complete the full minute of single-leg hopping. I'm wondering if some kind of cross training might help you, too? Although I have no idea *what kind,* alas!

In another thread, starbelly recommended the book Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief by Katy Bowman. Maybe worth a look? (I found a copy at my library.)

Have you tried different shoes? No shoes? My tricky feet are very particular about what shoes they want for different workouts. I feel like I get more crampy type problems in shoes that aren't sturdy/supportive enough.

Good luck!

Tags
foot pain