Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-13, 08:33 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love the tallow. I have only tried the lightly scented and unscented. I do like cedarwood, so maybe next time I'll try one of the new scents.

I've also started taking the fermented cod liver oil/butter oil from Green Pastures. More for sensitive teeth and gums than for skin...but wow my skin hasn't been this clear and soft for years!

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-13, 08:40 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I've been using Obagi products for 6 years and my skin looks great. It's expensive, but you such a small amount that it lasts forever. You need to have your skin analyzed by a dermatologist to know which products are best for you. I also have a facial every month and a mild peel every other month along with the facial. I decided that keeping my skin healthy and looking good is worth it.
I love Obagi too! Best stuff ever!

Nothing will take away the laugh lines if you're prone to them, other than not laughing. Good skin care, though, will keep your skin healthy and looking younger than others your age. Learn to embrace your laugh lines. Even though I'd rather not some times, I've learned to do just that!
Old 10-06-13, 06:57 AM  
GMonkey

Wow...there are a lot of natural fallacies going on in this thread. If those things work for you, that's cool but there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo here.

Thanks, English Ivy for pointing out the dangers of overdose on vitamin A which can happen from natural and synthetic sources.

Paula has since disavowed the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide cleansing method. Hydrogen peroxide and anything which oxidizes the skin and makes it more prone to free radical damage from the sun.

Curious as to the sun protective properties of coconut oil.

Also--I'm dying to know more about the miracle of healing dental cavities.

I'm really glad that anything that you put on your skin is actually not detectable in the blood within 15 seconds of application because there would be a lot of drunk hospital workers! ha ha ha

Want a really good no-nonsense effective routine?

Wash face with CeraVe cleanser. If this doesn't remove your makeup, massage a little jojoba or pure mineral oil onto your face, wipe with a clean washcloth, then cleanse. Hydrating for dry, foaming for oily skins. Follow with either Stridex alcohol free pads, St. Ives pads, or one of Paula's Choice liquid exfoliators. Wait 15 minutes. Follow up with CeraVe moisturizer in the tub for dry skin, or facial lotion for oily skin. Day time, skip the exfoliants and use a moisturizer with sunscreen, either Paula's Choice, CeraVe, or Elta MD. If your skin is oily, do a weekly bentonite clay mask. If it's dry, do a moisturizing mask.

If you have a severe skin issue, see a dermatologist. If the one you saw didn't help, go to a better one. Some are motivated purely by profit, but the majority of them are very good. Dermatology is the most competitive field in medicine and they all graduated top of their classes in med school and did the best in their initial internships.

I'm sorry if I come across as snarky, but I've had it with misinformation being bandied about, especially when it comes to people's health and welfare.

Please don't put baking soda on your skin, unless you are suffering from an insect bite. Also, ACV must be diluted with water.

When trying something new, just do one product change at a time.

People often rail against "big pharma" as a money-making scheme...but a lot of these natural-based cosmetics companies are doing the same thing. Same with the websites. They generate ad revenue. You don't think that Mercola and Natural News Network don't make money from the stuff they push?
GMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 07:27 AM  
Edie

Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 09:52 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
Wow...there are a lot of natural fallacies going on in this thread. If those things work for you, that's cool but there's a lot of mumbo-jumbo here.

Thanks, English Ivy for pointing out the dangers of overdose on vitamin A which can happen from natural and synthetic sources.

Paula has since disavowed the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide cleansing method. Hydrogen peroxide and anything which oxidizes the skin and makes it more prone to free radical damage from the sun.

Curious as to the sun protective properties of coconut oil.

Also--I'm dying to know more about the miracle of healing dental cavities.

I'm really glad that anything that you put on your skin is actually not detectable in the blood within 15 seconds of application because there would be a lot of drunk hospital workers! ha ha ha

Want a really good no-nonsense effective routine?

Wash face with CeraVe cleanser. If this doesn't remove your makeup, massage a little jojoba or pure mineral oil onto your face, wipe with a clean washcloth, then cleanse. Hydrating for dry, foaming for oily skins. Follow with either Stridex alcohol free pads, St. Ives pads, or one of Paula's Choice liquid exfoliators. Wait 15 minutes. Follow up with CeraVe moisturizer in the tub for dry skin, or facial lotion for oily skin. Day time, skip the exfoliants and use a moisturizer with sunscreen, either Paula's Choice, CeraVe, or Elta MD. If your skin is oily, do a weekly bentonite clay mask. If it's dry, do a moisturizing mask.

If you have a severe skin issue, see a dermatologist. If the one you saw didn't help, go to a better one. Some are motivated purely by profit, but the majority of them are very good. Dermatology is the most competitive field in medicine and they all graduated top of their classes in med school and did the best in their initial internships.

I'm sorry if I come across as snarky, but I've had it with misinformation being bandied about, especially when it comes to people's health and welfare.

Please don't put baking soda on your skin, unless you are suffering from an insect bite. Also, ACV must be diluted with water.

When trying something new, just do one product change at a time.

People often rail against "big pharma" as a money-making scheme...but a lot of these natural-based cosmetics companies are doing the same thing. Same with the websites. They generate ad revenue. You don't think that Mercola and Natural News Network don't make money from the stuff they push?
I tried CeraVe lotion for face and it made my face break out terribly. The Cerave in the tub is a great hand/foot moisturizer, though. No one thing works for every person.
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 10:19 AM  
Carol K

While the cleanser definitely doesn't contain food, the ingredients seem to consist primarily of detergents and humectants, which I would prefer to put on my face over food. However, I agree that everyone is going to do what works best for them. Misinformation or not, if someone is doing something for their skin that has a positive result, it's illogical to expect them to stop doing it.
Old 10-06-13, 10:22 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Coconut oil for sun protection:

http://holisticchickblog.com/2013/06...-for-sunblock/

While doing research on my great grandfather, who is pure Hawaiian, I ran across an article on my great great grandmother. Actuallly, it was a whole chapter based on her life as a missionary's wife. It was a very interesting read, and while reading it, I read about how coconut oil was used in their time. It's been an important staple in Polynesian culture for centuries. One of the things that it was used for was sun protection.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 10:23 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
While the cleanser definitely doesn't contain food, the ingredients seem to consist primarily of detergents and humectants, which I would prefer to put on my face over food. However, I agree that everyone is going to do what works best for them. Misinformation or not, if someone is doing something for their skin that has a positive result, it's illogical to expect them to stop doing it.
Absolutely. That's one reason I've avoided this thread. I don't use tallow and honey and olive oil and won't. Those things made my skin more oily and broken out. I do use Cerave Cleanser and/or Paula's Choice and am much happier with my results. So each one of us has to do what we know is best for our skin.

Thanks for the information, Debbie. I continue to use a sunscreen recommended by my dermatologist since I had a melanoma at age 25 (I'm now 48) but it does seem that coconut oil has some good benefits.
Old 10-06-13, 10:26 AM  
desie

So, may I ask those who tried it, what is your verdict on the beef tallow face moisturizer? I would like to try it.

Last edited by desie; 10-06-13 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Edited to add: Apologies, I read up-thread and there were many comments on trying out the beef tallow.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-13, 01:12 PM  
Irish Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by desie View Post
So, may I ask those who tried it, what is your verdict on the beef tallow face moisturizer? I would like to try it.

I'm loving it I've been doing the honey/ACV/tallow regimen nightly for about two months and my skin is looking amazing. My main skin issue is redness/irritation but that's not an issue anymore

(I do find the tallow a bit too oily to use in the morning before I put my makeup on. So I use a "Yes to Cucumbers" moisturizer in the morning and use the tallow at night)

"When it gets tough, we say YES!" Jari Love
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, beauty, beauty thread, beauty tips, clarisonic, gum surgery, natural skin care, off-topic, paula's choice, skin care