Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-11, 11:54 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I realize this is a great deal, but is anyone concerned about the fact that, from what I understand, HP is changing their business model and getting out of personal computers altogether, not just the Touch Pad? I'm reasonably sure that means that there is going to be no parts, no service, no updates of any kind available for these units. I know we're all increasingly treating elecontrics as disposible products, but I'd be concerned buying something knowing that if anything at all goes wrong it probably is going to have to be thrown straight in the trash.
Kinda like Firm gadgets

For what people here are going to use it for - a large yet portable video viewer that holds 16gb of video plus wifi for watching online videos - is there any other ~$100 option?
(I'm not trying to argue; I'm honestly curious)

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 12:38 PM  
carres1973

I agree with Sue. The quality of the product is the same. It hasn't gotten any bad reviews or complaints regarding quality/length of viability. It is just like buying something at a close out/outlet/Big Lots/Dollar General. If I can get a 16GB for $99 or 32GB for $149, I think that is a GREAT deal, even if it only lasts a year!

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 12:44 PM  
mercedes

mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 03:02 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
I realize this is a great deal, but is anyone concerned about the fact that, from what I understand, HP is changing their business model and getting out of personal computers altogether, not just the Touch Pad? I'm reasonably sure that means that there is going to be no parts, no service, no updates of any kind available for these units. I know we're all increasingly treating elecontrics as disposible products, but I'd be concerned buying something knowing that if anything at all goes wrong it probably is going to have to be thrown straight in the trash.
I read that HP announced a new computer yesterday. Even if the OS is obsolete, you should be able to use it to surf the web and use what you currently have - for at least a couple years. The web, probably longer, although it may not be the best experience.

I have a nookColor which is basically a locked down android unit and it actually does a lot of things quite well. The touchpad will probably work pretty good as an ereader and web surfer for at least a couple years.

Videos from the web, probably not quite as long.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 08:12 PM  
Mary W
VF Supporter

Quote:
I have a friend who is a notebook designer for HP, and her boss is pretty confident this is going to be a spin-off rather than a total dump of the product lines. Of course, no one knows for sure, but even the press release was unclear. She hasn't been given notice so that's a good sign!?!
Old 08-24-11, 04:24 AM  
herya

I read on TechCrunch yesterday that Samsung will grab their PC product division.
Old 08-24-11, 09:27 AM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary W View Post
I have a friend who is a notebook designer for HP, and her boss is pretty confident this is going to be a spin-off rather than a total dump of the product lines. Of course, no one knows for sure, but even the press release was unclear. She hasn't been given notice so that's a good sign!?!
The official email said the tablet line was canned and couldn't compete with Apple period.

They are deciding about dumping the P.C. line (selling is rumored). I assume that means netbooks, laptops, etc., but that wasn't clear.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 11:20 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

I had been considering this tablet at FULL Price

When it first came out. I was doing all sorts of research (the Xoom cuz it has external storage and it had just dropped $100) ... but everything else (except for the Ipad2) was bigger and clunkier.

The TouchPad (according to reviews) was the closest to the Ipad2. (Which I could NOT see shelling out the money for since for me it's just a glorified toy.) I did tell dh though, that I would continue to do my homework and when the right tablet came along at the right price, I was snapping it up.

Although you canNOT modify MS Word documents on it, i CAN use google docs with it and be able to do just about everything I want. I know I"ll be able to surf and with all the forums and people helping out, there will be work arounds, etc, etc. Yes - there's always the chance that something will not work right, etc ... but at $149? I'm willing to take the chance. I believe that the Kindle reader can go on here too.

Reviews on it were very good. The OS might be a tad slower than the Ipad@ - but for everything I need it to do? I probably won't even notice. And by the time I adjust my reading glasses . . . . . It has the "piled card" system and that appealed to me.

I've had an HP laptop now for 6 years and except for a new battery about a month ago (for $20) ... I have not had a lick of trouble with it.

This is my $149 connection to the internet so I can sit outside for more than 2 hours while watching the birds, Surfing VF, going to Facebook, checking e-mail, etc, etc. Of course, if I spend more than 2 hours sitting idle outside watching birds, there's probably a problem.

Oh - and if I ever travel - I can have my portability ....
Anyway - I do think I will be quite happy with it ... ESPECIALLY for the price!

Just my $.02 gone $20.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 01:12 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Thanks, Marta!! I just ordered my kids their Christmas (or maybe birthday) gifts.......
Well, darn it, I just received the email informing me that my order was cancelled cause their out of stock. I will still be keeping my eye out for them....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 01:26 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Well, darn it, I just received the email informing me that my order was cancelled cause their out of stock. I will still be keeping my eye out for them....
I'm sorry to hear that -- it certainly took them long enough to let you know!

I wasn't able to get one, either, but at least I didn't have the disappointment of thinking I was getting one, only to have my order cancelled days later. That's so unfair.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote