Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-20, 05:55 PM  
sbh

Pet Insurance

I hope this topic is ok because I really need some imput on purchasing pet insurance for my dog. Specialty breeds seem to need more visits to the vet.

Does anyone currently have pet insurance? Which one?
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 05:56 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I have Nationwide Pet Insurance on both of my dogs. So far so good. I've had it for 18 months on one dog and about 6 months on the other.

No problems with the claims I've filed.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 11:39 AM  
jldx2in2000

I too have Nationwide on my dogs. I have had that insurance for all 6 of my dogs and the insurance has gotten better over time. With our most recent dog, Ozzie, he went through chemo for almost a year battling Lymphoma. They were great about paying for his chemo up to the limits of the policy we purchased and then we had to pay out of our own pockets for about 3 months before his policy renewed and the limits started over.

The price does go up as they age and it is better to get it when they are young. We have one dog that we adopted 3 years ago. The paperwork at the time we adopted her said she was 9 so the initial premium was high to begin with but now that she is supposedly 12, the premium is crazy high! We don't think she was 9 when we got her but since the vet records said she was that is what Nationwide is using. I am sure I could try to get my vet to contact them and help them understand that she is probably younger but it seems like a hassle.

There are a lot more companies out there now then when I started looking 17 years ago so feel free to shop around. I did shop around with my last two adoptions and I didn't feel I could find a better price for the same coverage Nationwide offered. Although many other companies have an app for claims and maybe even a better claim process but hopefully Nationwide modernizes their process soon.

Anyway, long story short, I think pet insurance is totally worth it if you want the peace of mind that if something happens, you might get something back even if it is not all covered.
jldx2in2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 04:21 PM  
sbh

bumping for more information.
Old 01-24-20, 05:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I looked into pet insurance when we got our dog three years ago. A lot of people recommended Trupanion. We decided not to get it for our dog. She turned out to be heartworm positive (she's a rescue), and she tore her cruciate ligament last year. That involved a surgery and physical therapy. She is at risk of tearing the other, but so far, she's ok. We've spent thousands on those procedures.

However, IIRC, they don't cover any well visits. I was quoted $50/month for my then-2-year-old dog. It just seemed like a lot for a dog who might not have any problems. I don't remember how much they would have covered of the treatments she ended up needing. It's just one of those things... you roll the dice. The insurance might be worth it, it might not.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-20, 05:25 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

With Nationwide, you can buy insurance that also covers wellness, special diets, etc. There is a cap on what they will reimburse in a year, but it looked like it was worth it for the extra premium each year. I have the wellness on one of my dogs and don't on the other one.

Carol
Old 01-24-20, 05:28 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Here's a nice article from Whole Dog Journal that provides a lot of information about the various options out there:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ca...-dogs-in-2018/

Carol
Old 01-24-20, 06:08 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I looked into pet insurance when we got our dog three years ago. A lot of people recommended Trupanion. We decided not to get it for our dog. She turned out to be heartworm positive (she's a rescue), and she tore her cruciate ligament last year. That involved a surgery and physical therapy. She is at risk of tearing the other, but so far, she's ok. We've spent thousands on those procedures.

However, IIRC, they don't cover any well visits. I was quoted $50/month for my then-2-year-old dog. It just seemed like a lot for a dog who might not have any problems. I don't remember how much they would have covered of the treatments she ended up needing. It's just one of those things... you roll the dice. The insurance might be worth it, it might not.
Our previous dog, Sadie, was 14 when she past away. Went to the vet to be fixed and for vaccinations. That was it. Our new dog, Layla, seems to be one of those breeds that tend to have a lot of issues. So far, surgery to remove rope that stuck in her stomach and intestines. Two emergency visits for sudden allergic swelling and rash outbreak on her inner thighs. So we have decided to get her some insurance now that she has torn her CCL. Of course that is a pre-existing condition and we will have to pay for it ourselves. Ugh! I love her to pieces though and will do whatever I have to for her.
Old 01-24-20, 06:11 PM  
sbh

txhsmom - Thank you! Off to read it!
Old 01-25-20, 12:53 PM  
stacydan

I decided on PetPlan for my puppy (Boston Terrier); I had a hard time deciding between this and Healthy Paws. I need to read thru my Terms again because I think for it to cover any dental you have to have regular cleanings and very specific things at certain times or it won't pay. I haven't had to use it yet, he's almost 10 months old.
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote