Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-20, 12:34 PM  
Mickey12

I'm such an old fuddy duddy. We have Direct TV and pay a fortune per month. It irks me how much we pay, but I don't want to change to something else.

The idea of accessing and using streaming services (even if we had excellent internet to support it - which is a whole other dilemma) seems so much harder. With streaming services, it puts the onus on the individual to look for and find something to watch, rather than just turning on the TV to see what's being offered at that moment. I'm not sure I'm expressing myself correctly here and getting my point across. I don't want to have to figure out what I want to watch first. I want to turn on the TV and be presented with options.

We watch a lot of TV. We like TV. Dang it, I don't want it to change.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 02:11 PM  
JezthePuff2

I feel really old saying this, but I'm going to keep buying the DVDs until they don't sell them anymore. I have an irrational fear that I won't always be able to access the subscriptions. I mean, what if, God forbid, Cathe's company goes belly up and the service stops? I know she sells the downloads, so at least I could do that to get away from the DVDs. But I still want it in my hand. At least for now.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 03:06 PM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post

The idea of accessing and using streaming services (even if we had excellent internet to support it - which is a whole other dilemma) seems so much harder. With streaming services, it puts the onus on the individual to look for and find something to watch, rather than just turning on the TV to see what's being offered at that moment. I'm not sure I'm expressing myself correctly here and getting my point across. I don't want to have to figure out what I want to watch first. I want to turn on the TV and be presented with options.
I totally get what you are saying! I still have a small cable package, but I also have a few streaming subscriptions. I have Amazon and Disney+, but it is for specific shows. Therefore, I don't use it as much as simply turning on the TV to see what's on -- which I love to do.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 03:22 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm such an old fuddy duddy. We have Direct TV and pay a fortune per month. It irks me how much we pay, but I don't want to change to something else.

Kim
I get this, totally! A lot of times, I want 'background noise' on from the TV while I'm cooking/cleaning/whatever so I'm not really watching something but I sort of am...at least I'm listening! And we watch a LOT of PBS at our house, a LOT. What we discovered were old-school antennas (antennae?)! We bought one for each of our two televisions, kept our streaming subscriptions, upped our internet data plan (yes, we have a cap) and dumped cable and have never been happier. So now I can turn on the TV and know I'll see either the news or something related or I can find something on one of the PBS or other stations we get. Or I can choose to stream something when I'm not cooking or cleaning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
I feel really old saying this, but I'm going to keep buying the DVDs until they don't sell them anymore. I have an irrational fear that I won't always be able to access the subscriptions. I mean, what if, God forbid, Cathe's company goes belly up and the service stops? I know she sells the downloads, so at least I could do that to get away from the DVDs. But I still want it in my hand. At least for now.
I get this too because I feel the same way!! Not sure it's really irrational, really!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 03:42 PM  
sherry7899

We keep cable because we like having local news and weather. We will keep our huge dvd collection as well.

Jez, I like dvds, cds and albums also.

I also (when I am not playing music) have the tv on for background noise. I started years ago when my husband was working weird hours and I was home alone a lot before our son was born. I would put it on when I got home from work and leave it on. Now I have it on while getting things done around the house if I do not have music on. I hate loud noise, but only like total silence for meditation. Otherwise I need some low noise.

We have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu. Our son gets a really cheap college student rate for Hulu. I have yet to try any of their original programming.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 03:59 PM  
manleym

We got rid of cable a long time ago. We just weren't watching enough TV to justify the price. We bought an antenna and most of the time it works great. We have a 2 story house next to us that we think interferes with reception and when planes are flying overhead or if it's really windy, our reception isn't good. But we think that is because of where the antenna is positioned and we just haven't moved it closer to the front of the house yet.

We watch ALOT of PBS, so we have PBS Passport, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. We did a free trial of Hulu but didn't subscribe to it. The only thing we wish we had was ESPN. We watch alot of PBS and sports, so we miss alot of games, especially college playoffs.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 04:53 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
I totally agree with this. In fact some of my Essentrics DVD's I have multiple copies just in case they go bad. Since they are phasing out on selling them I am snatching up what I can. I have gotten rid of a lot of DVD's over the years but keeping my favorite. If the internet goes out, I can still do a workout. In addition, sometimes it is just easier to pop in the DVD than log in/scroll/search/ plug in etc.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 05:44 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I get this, totally! A lot of times, I want 'background noise' on from the TV while I'm cooking/cleaning/whatever so I'm not really watching something but I sort of am...at least I'm listening! And we watch a LOT of PBS at our house, a LOT. What we discovered were old-school antennas (antennae?)! We bought one for each of our two televisions, kept our streaming subscriptions, upped our internet data plan (yes, we have a cap) and dumped cable and have never been happier. So now I can turn on the TV and know I'll see either the news or something related or I can find something on one of the PBS or other stations we get. Or I can choose to stream something when I'm not cooking or cleaning!
Podcasts do this for me now. Bonus is that I find them much less distracting or intrusive than the background visual on the TV.
It doesn’t fix the ‘just want to turn something on’ problem, but if you subscribe to a few favorites you can then just listen to whichever episode is next and not have too many choices if you don’t want them.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 06:15 PM  
pgun3

Quote:

Kim
I am like you...I watch a lot of TV too and don't want the hassle of streaming. What you can do with directv is call them and ask to talk to the loyalty department. They will discount your package. I pay $50 less a month for a year. You just have to do it yearly. I tell them that I am thinking about streaming but would rather stay. I have been with directv since I think 1997.
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-20, 08:11 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgun3 View Post
I am like you...I watch a lot of TV too and don't want the hassle of streaming. What you can do with directv is call them and ask to talk to the loyalty department. They will discount your package. I pay $50 less a month for a year. You just have to do it yearly. I tell them that I am thinking about streaming but would rather stay. I have been with directv since I think 1997.
Thanks for that tip! I tried calling several times years ago and never got anywhere. Their staff is extremely gifted at putting you on hold, changing the subject, transferring you to another person, reviewing your coverage, putting you on hold, asking you what channels you like best, transferring you to another person, putting you on hold again, and transferring you to another person, (do you get my point?) that I just ended hanging up.

I will try asking for the loyalty department.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, cord cutting, dvds versus streaming