Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-19, 08:54 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I just got back from vacation. I hadn't posted anything about it anywhere online, but while I was away, I was getting ads on Facebook related to my destination and things to do while I was there. Very creepy. I'm guessing Facebook is somehow able to see my google searches when I was researching things to do there and/or it knew my location. I don't even have the Facebook app, but I was accessing the website on my phone while I was away.
Old 12-14-19, 07:16 AM  
LAC

Last Sunday DH asked if we could stop at Walmart after going out to breakfast so he could get something he needed for work. We don't normally shop there, so we spent a couple of minutes winding our way through the aisles trying to determine where to find that particular object. Along the way, I stopped to look at a tea kettle. I am not really in the market for a tea kettle and haven't been searching for one, the color of this one just happened to catch my eye as I was passing by. I picked it up and looked it over, then sat it back on the shelf. This past week, that exact same tea kettle has been showing up in my Amazon recommendations. DH does not use the computer, so I know he didn't go online looking for it as a surprise for me. I don't know how Amazon knows I was looking at that tea kettle in Walmart. I did have my phone in my hand, but I don't remember saying anything out loud about it. Not cool Amazon...
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 08:08 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

LAC - that is scary!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 08:45 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

All these stories are scary. I was so unaware of some of these situations.

The video was hilarious though!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 02:45 PM  
manleym

On our local news last night there was a story of someone terrorzing and threatening two children who were home alone through a Ring camera. Not sure how the person got the code, but the kids were 11 and 9. The family had the Ring camera so the parents could watch them when they were at work. I guess it was after school. Anyway, this person was screaming, cursing, threatening them. Obviously the kids were terrifed and ran outside screaming. Police showed up and this person started taunted them. I just can't even imagine why anyone would do this. So intrusive and violating. And just plain scary.
manleym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 06:23 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

this is so very disturbing.

ETA: I have a smart phone and iPad but do not use Siri or Bixby (the new assistant on Samsung phones at least that's what I think Bixby is) I do not have any other device like an Alexa or google's version of it. I do not have a smart doorbell/camera. I really don't have any desire for these things.
I do not clear my cache or cookies regularly however and I am sure there is more I should be doing.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 06:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
I am under the impression you are tracked whether on FB or not (I'm not on FB either). I agree that documentary was a bit horrifying...the sheer manipulation going on is mind boggling!
Be aware that shopper loyalty cards you use like at the grocery store sell your information. Last year I was doing canvassing for an election. I won't mention what party to avoid getting into politics. Anyway we got lists of voters likely to vote for Candidate. These lists are mostly from local boards of elections. They list your name, address, party affiliation and which elections you voted in (although not who you voted for.) So there were several persons on this list that were for party x and the candidate we were canvassing for was party y. I asked back at HQ why these people were on the list and they told me that information gathered from purchases might indicate what party a person would vote for even if that was not in agreement with the party they were registered as. She specifically mentioned the Shop Rite price plus card as an example. Well that made me think twice about using it. I have stopped using most shopper loyalty cards for this reason.
Old 12-14-19, 07:21 PM  
Izzy

I stay clear away from all things political. I don’t discuss it, attend open forums or meetings, or participate in any polls etc. But somehow my phone number got into the hands of several different politicians. I started getting phone calls and text messages. Like a lot! I told them to remove me from any list or I will report them. I have no idea how they got my information.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-19, 08:55 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I stay clear away from all things political. I don’t discuss it, attend open forums or meetings, or participate in any polls etc. But somehow my phone number got into the hands of several different politicians. I started getting phone calls and text messages. Like a lot! I told them to remove me from any list or I will report them. I have no idea how they got my information.

Mary
Voter rolls are public records. So your name, address, party affiliation and years that you voted are available to anyone, at least in NJ anyway. I don't know how they would get your cell number however. I never get anything on my cell. They call my home however and I am pretty sure my number is unlisted.
Old 12-15-19, 08:40 AM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
There's a really interesting documentary on Netflix called You've been Hacked. It's basically about what FB is designed to do, and it's not about friends.
It’s actually called The Great Hack. I just added to my Netflix queue. Something similar happened to me recently. I went to a sort of flea market where I’ve never been before in an abandoned shopping mall space. I spent a few minutes looking at a particular painting at an art booth. Later that day on my FB feed was an ad for that exact painting which I had never viewed online, only in person at the flea market. It made me feel watched and paranoid.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advertising, big brother, privacy, tracking