Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-17, 06:08 PM  
isebelleg44

OT San Francisco Area

We are planning a trip to the San Francisco area at the end of July and are going for eight days. We have have nine year old twin girls. I have never been to California and am looking forward to it. I have been dreaming for years of wine country, but since we have the girls I know we can't do it the way we have loved too, but we are still going to check out the area.

Any must sees in that area? TIA!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 06:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Lombard Street, Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Park, Ghirardelli Square.

have fun!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 06:50 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

My niece lives there and loves it and we enjoy visiting. We have done a ton of walking during our visits to her, and I have a couple of things to add.

It's not San Francisco proper, but nearby Muir Woods is worth a visit and will give the girls a chance to get outside, plus you go across the Golden Gate bridge to get there. Fisherman's Wharf to me was "meh" since it is so touristy and has some kitsch along with some interesting things to look at, but I agree that you should see it since it's so well known, along with Chinatown.

I'm not sure if your family is at all interested in baseball, but AT&T park is one of the most beautiful parks in the country and offers tours even if you don't go to a game.

We also went to Alcatraz, but that along with Sonoma may not be something that you would do when visiting with 9 year olds. We prefer Sonoma to Napa simply due to the size. We like a more "intimate" venue and Sonoma offers that at some of the wineries.

I'll keep thinking about it, and I'll pop back in if I come up with some other things. Have a great visit!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 07:38 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

If you want to go to Alcatraz, be sure to try to get tickets beforehand -- it may already be sold out. The girls would probably enjoy the Exploritorium. There is a wine train through Napa that may keep the girls interested, but I think it's pricey. That said, where I live we have plenty of small wineries that are very kid friendly -- one has a bocce court set up for kids. If you want to know more about that, I can pm you more specific info. In Golden Gate park there is the Academy of Sciences which is very cool -- completely redone a few years ago and great for kids. Also, on either Saturday or Sunday -- I can't remember which after having lived there for years -- they shut down the streets so people can bike, roller blade, walk, etc. Very nice. I think it's Sundays. And if you go to the park be sure to find the bison/buffalo. Yes, in San Francisco.

If you want to branch out of San Francisco the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk is a fun destination -- amusement park on the beach. In the summer on Friday nights they have free concerts with some decent bands. Looks like when you're in the area it'll be Los Lobos. Here's the schedule: https://beachboardwalk.com/Concerts

There are other amusement parks in the area, but they are just the average variety that you'd get anywhere. The boardwalk is cool because it is on the beach and has some history -- very old wooden roller coaster -- that kind of thing.

I probably could give you lots more info, if you're interested. Feel free to pm or email me and we can get an email conversation going.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 08:05 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Dress warmly so you don't spend your time in SF shopping for sweatshirts and overcoats. Mark Twain said "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." No kidding - it's chilly. 65* or less, year round.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 08:31 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

2nd what bee said about The Exploratorium and Academy of Sciences. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is also fantastic, but a day trip in itself. Muir Woods is beautiful but may be crowded in the summer. Angel Island might be an alternative if you enjoy hiking or biking (the city has a bunch of bike rental services). I always thought Alcatraz was interesting, but tickets do go fast. Pier 39/Fisherman's Wharf is very touristy, but the sea lions are fun to watch for a while, and it's at the end of the must-do cable car ride. For a variety of interesting food and picnic essentials, check out the Farmers Market at the Ferry Building.

If your girls like Star Wars, you can visit the Letterman Center in the Presidio where Lucasfilm is headquartered (there's a statue of Yoda outside). The Walt Disney Museum is also in the Presidio, but probably more interesting for superfans or art & animation geeks (similar for Cartoon Art Museum in SOMA).

Other touristy things that my friends with kids have enjoyed are the Fortune Cookie Factory in Chinatown and the Cable Car Museum.

Also second the advice about weather! We're having a bizarre pattern so far this summer (brutally hot last week but lower than average this week), but always assume SF will be chilly in the morning and evening and dress in layers.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 07:59 AM  
muffins135

You may want to look into a trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. It's a couple hours south of San Francisco but worth the trip IMO.
muffins135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 05:25 PM  
hollymarie

Not in San Francisco proper, but when we visited the Bay Area, our kids really enjoyed the Jelly Belly factory tour:

https://www.jellybelly.com/california-factory

“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” Albus Dumbledore

hollymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 11:09 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I was in SF when my kids were young. My son was 7 and he really liked Alcatraz. I vaguely remember a Japanese Tea house in Golden Gate Park? I like that sort of thing but only you would know if your kids would. I agree with the Exploratorium suggestion as well as the Monterey aquarium.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 11:21 AM  
DonnaMarie

Wine Country

If you are traveling to the Sonoma/Napa area - there are two things the kids might enjoy. The tram that crosses the river to Sterling Winery and the Castle de Amerosa which is a real castle. A stop at Calistoga for lunch at Pacifico might be fun also. Food is Mexican and super good. I've been to the Jelly Belly factory and it's really fun for kids!... All these things might be further than you want to go. Have a great vacation.