Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-17, 07:45 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Laundry question

I'm one of those weirdos who likes to do laundry and I hope I'm not alone here. My question is: how do you get your whitest white?

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 07:53 AM  
upperwside

I don't love to do it.. but I feel good after it's done! I use Oxy Clean with my whites.. they have one especially for whites here in Canada.. sure they have it in the US too. I also use Persil detergent. I have white towels and linens.. everything is pretty white. I do pre soak once in a while in the Oxy.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 07:57 AM  
Malia

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a problem with weird stains that appear after a shirt is washed that wasn't there before. It's like a discoloration - not really a stain. My husband thought it was from the liquid fabric softener but I'm not convinced that's it (I don't use liquid that often and my washer dispenses it automatically). I try to pre-treat it like a stain for the next wash but it never ever comes out. I can take a picture if my description isn't clear, but I think it only happens on polyester or dri-fit fabrics. Anyone know what that is and how to get it out?
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 08:03 AM  
wendug

I like to do laundry, too, but LOATHE to iron clothes! I second the recommendation for Oxi Clean White Revive. If you have discolored whites, you can soak in the white revive before laundering and it really does whiten whites. It can be kind of hard to find the White Revive- not many stores sell it.
Old 05-31-17, 08:04 AM  
desie

I have two thoughts on the discolouration. It could be iron in the water, that causes small light orange stains at random. Like rust. If the stains aren't light orange, then it's not iron. My other thought is the liquids or powders you are adding are going into the water as a clump and causing problems. My washer is supposed to dispense bleach and fabric softener during the wash but does not do it properly and I always pre-mix in a container of water and add it myself.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 08:09 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I don't love to do it.. but I feel good after it's done! I use Oxy Clean with my whites.. they have one especially for whites here in Canada.. sure they have it in the US too. I also use Persil detergent. I have white towels and linens.. everything is pretty white. I do pre soak once in a while in the Oxy.
I think Persil is the best. It smells amazing as well.

David Goggins
Old 05-31-17, 08:43 AM  
bubbles76

Is Persil septic safe?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 08:58 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malia View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a problem with weird stains that appear after a shirt is washed that wasn't there before. It's like a discoloration - not really a stain. My husband thought it was from the liquid fabric softener but I'm not convinced that's it (I don't use liquid that often and my washer dispenses it automatically). I try to pre-treat it like a stain for the next wash but it never ever comes out. I can take a picture if my description isn't clear, but I think it only happens on polyester or dri-fit fabrics. Anyone know what that is and how to get it out?
Do you use spray sunscreen? I have found that it will discolor clothes and is next to impossible to get out. And like someone else mentioned, iron in the water will also discolor clothes.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 09:14 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Is Persil septic safe?
https://www.amazon.com/laundry-deter...&cdSort=newest

David Goggins
Old 05-31-17, 09:32 AM  
Malia

For my discoloration issue it does kind of look like an oil, but I don't use spray on sunscreen but my husband does so that could be it - it discolors it like a tone on tone type of thing so not like rust/orange color. I used to use pursil and I loved it - my husband got an allergic reaction to it so I had to stop (made him itchy and that was the only thing we changed). Normally he doesn't have sensitive skin so that was really unusual that he reacted that way. I'm just mentioning it because we bought a big Sams club bottle of it so I would recommend trying a regular size first :-)
Malia is offline   Reply With Quote