Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-16, 10:35 AM  
daisyduke

What were your results when you quit formal exercise but still watched what you ate??

I am thinking of taking a break from formal exercise. I'd like to spend some time just playing baseball with my son, playing chase with my kids and also spend more time helping my son with school (we homeschool).

So has anyone given up formal exercise and still watch what they ate (I do weight watchers). What were your results?

As always thanks in advance!!!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 10:39 AM  
bubbles76

I was able to lose the weight but I was squishy .
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 10:53 AM  
Demeris

I lost weight when I changed what I ate. I didn't lose muscle mass, but I didn't gain any, either.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 11:46 AM  
LizEMA

Whenever I take a break, I don't see much weight gain, if any at all, but I lose definition and tightness (ie: I get softer -- A LOT softer) so my body starts to look different. I've never been as conscientious or focused on keeping active in other ways on my breaks as you seem to be, so I can't say if I had made more of an effort to do other things, definition and tautness may have remained.

If weight gain is the thing you're more/most concerned about, I don't think you need to be. As long as you eat healthfully and don't OVEReat, I don't think you'll notice the numbers creeping up on the scale, especially if you're going to be running around with kids on the daily.

PS As Demeris stated, I didn't/don't lose muscle mass on my breaks. All it takes is several weeks of getting back in the "swing of things" (even just starting out SUPER slowly) for everything to start popping and looking more defined so I know my muscles stuck around. If you're going to be engaging in sports activities, I'm not sure you won't keep your current definition/shape. Though, the level of activity and exercise routine you've been maintaining up until the break may dictate your results more than anything else.
Old 03-27-16, 12:15 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Well, I always gain weight in addition to getting wimpy and squishy but that's just how my body works. You will have to find out what your body would do.

You could look into some of Katy Bowman's barefoot lifestyle books (Move Your DNA) because she advocates exactly what you are talking about.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 01:03 PM  
Stephanie_B

I've never not exercised except when I've been sick or recovering from a surgery. I always ALWAYS lose more weight and inches when I don't exercise watching my food intake or not. But I doubt if you're being active, playing basketball and the like, you're going to immediately turn into a squishy blob. I'd say give it a go and maybe you'll find something else you like or not. YOLO.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 01:08 PM  
beanpeanut

I allotted myself 1200 calories a day, I did not use a food journal but rather relied on mental count. I did not allow myself to be hungry and I did not deny myself of anything, just ate much less of it. No exercise of any kind (I love exercising, by the way).This was two years ago but after four months, I had lost a lot of weight (I do not weigh myself, a me no, no) I was lean and my smaller jeans fit with a little give room. For me it's 70% diet and 30% fitness, , this is just what my mind set is when I want to lose some weight. I felt I looked good but things were not quite as lifted as they are when I exercise too. Never to feel hungry, missed out on, or miserable is very important with any weight loss goal.

Josephine
beanpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 01:13 PM  
Leonana

I haven't been able to find out! I always overeat when I don't exercise. Exercise relieves stress, and I'm able to stick to eating healthier.
Old 03-27-16, 02:53 PM  
NorthernStar

Last fall was tough for me and I did not work out regularly. I definitely got softer/squishier though I didn't gain more than a pound or two. I notice my stomach got "poochier" - not necessarily that I'd gained fat, but I don't have a strong core to begin with and lack of exercise meant my muscles weren't pulling in well.

If you're still going to be active, and are not overeating, I don't think you need to worry about weight gain. You can always pick it up again!
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-16, 02:57 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
i was able to lose the weight but i was squishy .
+1
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activity levels, formal exercise, lifestyle change, results, weight loss, weight management