Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-13, 10:15 AM  
imhere2dance

Question Joyce Vedral: "On The Ball Workout"

I recently e-mailed Joyce for rotation help using the 12 DVDs I have. Instead, she recommended I buy the 6 I'm missing and then gave me a full bootcamp plan. LOL
(Thankfully Mandy was a huge help when I PM'd her for advice. )

I told Joyce that I won't be buying On The Ball Workout because I don't have a ball, nor do I plan on getting one. She told me the workout can be done without one. Please check out the two clips (number 1 and number 2) and tell me what you think because I don't agree. I did a couple of searches, but I didn't find much info about this workout. Has anyone actually done it without a ball? What, if anything, could be used in place of one?

By the way, I'm not interested in the videos I don't have, so I won't be buying them. But you have to hand it to Joyce: she's always trying to make a sale.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 10:39 AM  
dbclark44

I just reviewed the clip and have to agree with Joyce. The workout can be modified to be done without the ball. All the moves she does with a ball can be done either lying a bench sitting or standing. The ab work is easy to modify without the ball - just do the moves with no ball. Oth other hand, personally though why would I buy a ball workout if I have no ball to use it with? Especially when there are so many other workouts available.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 10:53 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Joyce is quite a character!

I agree with DB: the bicep/hammer curls can be done standing, the chest presses and flys (I wanna write "flies") lying on a bench or mat. Looks like the ball just adds a new slant to the workout and adds a little lower body work via stability and balance.

I have this one but haven't done it yet--now you've got me interesting in trying it!

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 11:36 AM  
glowacki

I had this workout and got rid of it. You're not missing much, especially if you have 12 other JV DVDs.

ETA: I do love Joyce's moxie.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 11:54 AM  
Sissy B

Joyce definitely has moxie!

Every time I've ever emailed her for advice, no matter what the question, her answer has been to buy more of her workouts - even when it didn't actually answer the question that I was asking.

~Sissy B
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 02:16 PM  
Mandy

The lower body part of On the Ball does use the ball for 2 inner thigh squeezes. So can you find something that you can squeeze in between your knees like a pillow or yoga block? I use a bender ball sometimes. And she does 2 exercises standing using the ball and I can't explain the move. I don't do the exercises since it looks like it would be hard on the knees(bending into the ball and bouncing the knees into the ball). So I do squat and plié squat.

I usually don't do the On the Ball upper body since the only shoulder work is a rear fly. You can do the upper body without the ball. But it would be kind of nice to have one since the workout does use the ball a lot. She does lean over the ball do do rear delts and biceps. And she lays on the ball for chest and tricep work.

I must say that the lower body is no dread for me but its one of Joyce's easier workouts. Like there are only 2 ab exercises and 2 butt exercises(although you do it for 3 sets of 15 reps). I like to mix On the ball lower body with Quick Quartet lower body. I do QQ first and then finish with On the ball.
Also, OTB has Joyce/Marthe bloopers which have a lot of "bleeps" because of swearing. It shows Marthe and Joyce argueing too. Its not worth the price of buying the dvd though.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:03 PM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Also, OTB has Joyce/Marthe bloopers which have a lot of "bleeps" because of swearing. It shows Marthe and Joyce argueing too. Its not worth the price of buying the dvd though.
Thanks. Joyce has a 3½ minute Bloopers video on YouTube. I don't know if the DVD version is longer, but I definitely wouldn't buy a copy just to watch it. LOL
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 03:46 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere2dance View Post
Thanks. Joyce has a 3½ minute Bloopers video on YouTube. I don't know if the DVD version is longer, but I definitely wouldn't buy a copy just to watch it. LOL

Yep, that's it. The other video from Joyce shows the standing leg exercises from On the Ball. See why it was hard to explain?lol I didn't know about the youtube channel...thanks!
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-13, 08:03 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhere2dance View Post
I enjoyed that -- thanks!
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 11:04 AM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Any more opinions/reviews on this one?

I've recently started to get all of JV's dvds and this one is still missing in my collection (along with her Slow Duet). I have a ball and am intrigued to get this..(because I'm a vidiot! ) but at the same time I really wonder if I'd 'need' it, considering I'll have all her other ones (well.. except the Cougar one.. Don't care for that LOL).

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bender ball, joyce vedral, stability ball workouts