Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-13, 12:47 PM  
hotncmom

I am so disappointed in Health Magazine

On the cover of Health magazine this month is Jennie Garth, formerly of 90210. Since I follow celebrity gossip a bit, I know that she split from her husband last year and was candidly photographed at that time looking very, very thin. Of course stress affects some people this way, but now she is on the cover of Health and the article praises her 30 pound weight loss! This woman was NEVER overweight so how is going from a normal, thin weight to 30 lbs. lower healthy?

Quote:
The 40-year-old lost 30 pounds and earned herself a "Da-amn, girl" shape. Her secret? Eating clean and exercising five days a week (three doing plyometrics and kickboxing, and two hiking with one of her dogs).
It further goes on to give her healthy eating tips, which include a 173 calorie breakfast and dinner of broiled salmon with balsamic onions.

I don't want to get into a discussion of her diet here, but I am just appalled at how Ms. Garth's weight loss has been totally misrespresented. Why didn't she just say she lost a lot of weight after her separation/divorce but is learning to take care of herself again? Instead, she is saying she lost 30 lbs. by basically eating a very low calorie diet and exercising and the magazine is praising her for it and putting her on the cover.

And this is Health magazine! I am pretty upset about this.

http://www.health.com/health/article...657806,00.html
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 01:12 PM  
JP44

She's been bragging about her weight loss since last summer so this is not news. Re: how much weight she lost: I've noticed celebrities tend to multiply however much they actually lost or gained by imaginary factors. She probably lost 7- 10 lbs but that doesn't sound exciting so it becomes 30 lbs!

I've noticed whenever actors or actress gain or lose weight for roles, it's always 40 lbs. "Demi packed on 40 lbs of muscle to portray GI Jane."(Really? 40 lbs of muscle in 4 months of movie prep w/ a trainer??)

Doesn't Health magazine also have a lot of ads for drugs & dubious supplements too? I couldn't stand Prevention Magazine! OMG--It was more like "Prescription" magazine w/ all the ads for drugs!

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 01:16 PM  
upperwside

Yikes.. i would pass out if i ate a breakfast with so few calories... i would also have no muscle on my body.. she may be thin.. but is she strong and healthy.. could she save her children and pick them up and run if needed??
Edited to add.. i am really sick of this "skinny" crap in all the magazines.. skinny is not healthy.. lean and muscular is healthy to me as you cannot have muscle if you are not eating like a well oiled machine!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 01:20 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Yikes.. i would pass out if i ate a breakfast with so few calories...
I was just thinking that - as I sit here eating breakfast.

I agree that this is irresponsible "reporting". There's a comment section on the online article. Why don't VFers flood their inbox, pointing out what's so wrong about this?
Old 01-12-13, 01:28 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post

Doesn't Health magazine also have a lot of ads for drugs & dubious supplements too? I couldn't stand Prevention Magazine! OMG--It was more like "Prescription" magazine w/ all the ads for drugs!

Joan
There are prescription drug ads but not supplements that I recall. Maybe you're thing of Women's Health?

I am disappointed myself in the turn that Health seems to be taking---too much focus on celebrity 'accomplishments' and weight loss 'tips and tricks' which are dubious at best. I think the Jennie Garth article did mention that she had tried some of the fad diets and extreme methods. I don't recall ever seeing her before she lost the alleged 30 pounds but I was not impressed by her or the magazine's interview or choice of her as a cover story.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-13, 01:50 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I totally get why you're upset over this and agree with you! Not only did I think that she always looked very fit & healthy (90210 was my favorite show as a teen ) but if the focus of her weight loss is now being portrayed in that way, I find it upsetting too!.. But then again, her being a celebrity I guess it's not really surprising.. Only that the Health magazine is getting caught up in it!..

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:12 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I also find it hard to believe she lost 30 lbs. Wasn't she on DWTS a few years ago where she claimed to have lost "a lot" of weight also? She never struck me as someone who needed to lose much weight but what do I know. I agree that Health magazine should be more about fitness and healthy living then just being skinny.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:37 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

173 calories doesn't sound like a terribly-low breakfast to me. I added up my breakfast from this morning in My Fitness Pal:

- 1 poached egg
- Half a slice of Arnold's Oatnut bread, toasted
- 1 cup raw strawberries
- 2 cups (16 oz) black coffee

and it came to 188 calories. You could shave off a few calories by eating egg whites only or eating a lower-calorie bread, and still have a normal-sounding breakfast.

ETA: I agree about the overemphasis on "skinny" for women, and the Hollywood BS. "Oh, I NEVER work out! I just play with my dogs and walk my kids!" Yeah right

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:42 AM  
noraW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
173 calories doesn't sound like a terribly-low breakfast to me. I added up my breakfast from this morning in My Fitness Pal:

- 1 poached egg
- Half a slice of Arnold's Oatnut bread, toasted
- 1 cup raw strawberries
- 2 cups (16 oz) black coffee

and it came to 188 calories. You could shave off a few calories by eating egg whites only or eating a lower-calorie bread, and still have a normal-sounding breakfast.
I agree. My daily breakfast averages 180 and I would consider myself to be strong and healthy. The article didn't cover what she might eat throughout the day. She might be having healthy snacks between meals as well.
noraW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:44 AM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by noraW View Post
I agree. My daily breakfast averages 180 and I would consider myself to be strong and healthy. The article didn't cover what she might eat throughout the day. She might be having healthy snacks between meals as well.
I will have to agree with this too. My daily breakfast is always about 170-180, and I consider myself very healthy. I also eat about six times during the day, so mini meals are my mainstay.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote