Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-16, 09:48 PM  
Tiny

I have to third the top loader Speed Queen. I got the same style as Sciencelady (old school dials) and I just LOVE it!

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 08:20 AM  
dnna

I a moving to a small condo and the water bills in this city are really really high. Does the top loader use a lot more water than the front loader-enough to say choose the front loader. all the city is on a water ban for all but vegetables.so water is a pricy commodity and conservation is key
thanks
donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 08:27 AM  
BunnyHop

Our top loader is a high efficiency washer, and only seems to use as much water as the load seems to require.

We do have to choose HE type detergents, but it works fine.

Is it the HE designation that implies water efficiency? Or does HE mean it's efficient in some other way?
Old 07-03-16, 08:48 AM  
LAC

We originally bought a front loader because they are supposed to use less water and our well had slow recovery (we ended up drilling a new one, so not a problem now). Its a very basic Frigidaire with all dials, no bells & whistles and it does the job just fine, but I don't think they make the model anymore. One thing to keep in mind about front loaders is that you pretty much have to leave the door ajar all of the time when it is not in use. If you leave it closed up, it gets smelly and moldy. Never had that problem with my old top loader.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 08:59 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Thanks so much, everyone, for your recommendations! We definitely will be getting a top loader, but it has to be High Efficiency. Right now we have our eye on three models: A Samsung, an LG, and a Kenmore. I think we'll ultimately go for the Samsung because I love the idea of the little internal sink thing for hand washing that's built into the machine (I wash lots of stuff by hand to avoid dry cleaning). Thanks again!

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 11:57 AM  
red1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurdes View Post
Thanks so much, everyone, for your recommendations! We definitely will be getting a top loader, but it has to be High Efficiency. Right now we have our eye on three models: A Samsung, an LG, and a Kenmore. I think we'll ultimately go for the Samsung because I love the idea of the little internal sink thing for hand washing that's built into the machine (I wash lots of stuff by hand to avoid dry cleaning). Thanks again!

Lurdes
I love the little sink idea too! I wish that had been available when we got ours two years ago. I have a HE LG WaveForce. It's great, no complaints, other than wishful thinking about that little sink
Old 07-03-16, 11:58 AM  
marki64

I seem to go through washers quicker than a hooker goes through men. I do a lot of wash, so we bought a huge capacity top load LG a year and a half a go. It works fine, however, it gets unbalanced once in awhile and my husband has to re balance it. It has all the bells and whistles. What I don't like is how long the loads take. almost an hour and a half per load. The spin cycle is ridiculously long. The quick wash cycle, which is still 40 min., I use for my workout clothes as I wash them right after I work out to keep them smelling good. I don't like that you can only get hot water with a couple cycles and it's not very hot. I have my issues with the goverrnment and high efficiency, but I won't ramble on. How are you saving electricity when your wash machine runs so long? Overall, it cleans well and I have a 1st floor utility room and it is a quiet machine. Sometimes I have to check if its working. I hate loud spin cycles. This is primarily why I bought it, because it was quieter. Really, all the HE machines pretty much suck. Not much you can do about it, though.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 02:56 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I can recommend what NOT to buy. A Maytag front loader. Blech.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 05:42 PM  
mtnmom

I have a Samsung front loader. It's a model that is quite basic, but has plenty of cycles and temperature combinations. I like that I can wash delicates without fear of them getting tangled on an agitator. I can also wash blankets and twin-sized comforters. It uses way less water and hence, less electricity for heating the water if using a warm or hot water setting. It's also very quiet.

I don't like how it will smell if you don't leave the door open. And since it can be seen from our kitchen, I always feel like it's sloppy-looking. I'm fanatical about keeping cabinet doors and drawers closed, so this bugs me. :/ Otherwise, I'm good with it.

I considered a top-loader without an agitator, but reports are that they don't clean as well.

And for whoever asked about HE detergent, my understanding is they don't suds as much so they don't need as much water to rinse out the suds.
Old 07-03-16, 06:43 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
Still stand by the Speed Queen I recommended in the previous thread - works great!
On your recommendation, I got the Speed Queen top loader with dials & have been very happy with it! Been meaning to thank you!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote