Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-16, 09:45 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraKate View Post
the heavy weight recommendation is to strengthen the (muscles around) the joints.
the muscles have to take over connective duty for slack tendons (or is it ligaments? which one is bone to bone?)

I'll post more info as I get it
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. My experience has been the opposite - I have strained joints doing too heavy weights - my muscles were ready to increase the amount of weight but the tendons (ligaments, whatever ) were not ready, resulting in a strain. I would think you need to be careful when going to heavier weights than you are used to.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 10:12 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
I don't think there IS a danger to high reps

unless you're me
I'll have to look into this. I prefer light weight/high reps, but I have lots of play in my joints, and my PT thinks my ACL injury might be related to my hyperextension.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 10:21 AM  
Dabbadooey

Interesting points...I got injured from too much vinyasa yoga. High rep/low weight has healed me.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 10:58 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

NoraKate - Maybe you need to give yourself permission to set your own pace and not go quite as fast as the instructor?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 11:07 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
it's my joint instability that's the problem (and age)
high rep low weight is great!
and as far as I know not dangerous in any way

unless you have my physiological peculiarities
(I suspect my inherent klutzyness adds to this mess)

the heavy weight recommendation is to strengthen the (muscles around) the joints.
the muscles have to take over connective duty for slack tendons (or is it ligaments? which one is bone to bone?)

I'll post more info as I get it
Hi Nora Kate,

I agree that hypermobility in knees, and indeed any joint, can lead to vulnerability to injury. And also, that strengthening the muscles around the joint to improve stability may be helpful to injury prevention.

However, I am concerned that by trading high rep/low weight, for the reverse, you are trading potential injury due to repetition for the potential injury due to heavy loads, if the underlying biomechanical issue isn't addressed. IOW, if the aim is to strengthen the muscles around the hypermobile joint with correct form, I don't see a reason that high rep would be any more dangerous (or conversely, that high weight/low rep would be LESS dangerous). The thought of someone doing a heavy deadlift with hyperextended knees comes to mind

However I agree it is possible that either the form/style/pace of high rep videos is potentially problematic. As yogapam wisely points out, is there a way you can modify them so that you are taking a slower pace and more attention to form. Apologies if you are already doing that.

Has your PT worked with you to improve the movement patterns themselves in respect to your hypermobile knees?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-16, 11:11 AM  
Daphne M

It's not about whether the weight is light or heavy, folks! It's about the number of reps! Some of our workouts have you doing more than 100 reps for one body part. It's excessive and really not necessary for good results. High rep/low weight gives me problems too and I avoid those workouts like the plague.

NoraKate - I think the important part is that you reduce the number of reps. You can experiment with what weight feels best for you but it doesn't have to be super heavy to get good results, at least not in my experience. I can't reel off a catalog of "high rep" workout to avoid (especially since I don't own them), but off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that one to avoid would be Cathe's "High Reps" workout!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote