Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-13, 10:49 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I scan most of those magazines so quickly that I missed most of that. Not sure why I subscribe to them other than I get them cheap when someone posts a deal here.

It would be a good idea to send these thoughts to the magazine itself. Doesn't it have a section where it includes comments on articles? Maybe not. The new Shape sitting on my lap doesn't seem to.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:50 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I also don't think 173 is terribly low, especially if I start my mornings with a breakfast smoothie.

Now, I saw a picture of Jennie before her divorce and she had definitely put on some weight (which is ok), so at some point, she did have weight to lose. Her weight lose didn't have to stem from stress. It's known that when couples seperate, more effort goes into their appearance because they are back on the market again.....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 10:57 AM  
ldy_solana

Some of my breakfasts go just shy of 200 calories, but I also have an after workout snack. I don't think I have gone over 300 calories for morning meals. I also eat small meals/snacks through out the day depending on what my classes are (some you just cannot have food in class).

I take celebrity diets with a grain of salt b/c they always seem to change or just not something I think I can do long term anyway (and that is if they are telling the whole story). I am more interested in workouts for ideas to keep my routines fresh.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 11:00 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Her weight lose didn't have to stem from stress. It's known that when couples seperate, more effort goes into their appearance because they are back on the market again.....
I have noticed that on a few popular instructors, divorce caused their chests to grow bigger

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 11:05 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
173 calories doesn't sound like a terribly-low breakfast to me. I added up my breakfast from this morning in My Fitness Pal:

- 1 poached egg
- Half a slice of Arnold's Oatnut bread, toasted
- 1 cup raw strawberries
- 2 cups (16 oz) black coffee
oh sure, for FIRST breakfast! What about second breakfast?

(I actually often do eat a first and second breakfast)

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 11:44 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I agree with others that she could be operating with smaller meals - like 5 or 6 meals a day - but they could have mentioned that in the article. I for one don't do well with snacking between meals, and don't do well unless I eat a good 300 calorie breakfast.

I agree that magazines have a general emphasis on skinny vs. strong and healthy. I guess it is what it is.
Old 01-13-13, 11:51 AM  
rose2boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
oh sure, for FIRST breakfast! What about second breakfast?

(I actually often do eat a first and second breakfast)
I do too! I actually split my breakfast up on workout days (which is about 5 days/week)...For example, I have a slice of Ezikiel toast w/ 1T. natural PB or lite cream cheese pre-workout with my coffee, then afterwards I have something like an egg w/ sliced tomato & turkey sausage link or greek yogurt w/fruit.

Don't know if this "right " or "wrong" way to eat breakfast, but it seems to work for me.
Old 01-13-13, 11:51 AM  
topfitmama

I don't like to eat a huge breakfast, and dinner of fish and vegetables is healthy.
That said, I don't think a life of constantly checking one's weight is healthy.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 12:55 PM  
hotncmom

173 calories for breakfast just sounded awfully low to me because I am starving and crabby when I get up, and I eat around 350-400 calories for breakfast. I agree that she could be eating mini-meals throughout the day, but the article doesn't mention that.

It wasn't the specifics but just the general tone of the article that bothered me. I have no idea what she weighed starting out, but I'm sure she has never been overweight. I'm well within a healthy weight range right now, although heavier than I want to be, but if I lost 30 lbs. I would be 10 lbs. lighter than my high school weight, and I was considered very thin back then.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-13, 01:02 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose2boys View Post
I do too! I actually split my breakfast up on workout days (which is about 5 days/week)...For example, I have a slice of Ezikiel toast w/ 1T. natural PB or lite cream cheese pre-workout with my coffee, then afterwards I have something like an egg w/ sliced tomato & turkey sausage link or greek yogurt w/fruit.

Don't know if this "right " or "wrong" way to eat breakfast, but it seems to work for me.

I have been thinking of splitting my breakfast up when I start to go walking on Saturdays, as the glass of juice doesn't seem to give me enough energy anymore. How soon do you exercise after you eat? I'm also afraid that eating something will make my digestive system work unexpectedly while walking. Do you think some sort of smoothie would work? I am vegan, so it would be some kind of soymilk mixed with a banana, I guess.

As for the original post, I had seen Health magazine on the shelves & thought it was nice to see a health magazine without a person in a bathing suit on the front. However, I am a little over all these magazines with their articles on a new celebrity each month; I'm just not that interested in what the celebrities are doing. I thought Pink was cute for demonstrating her favorite exercises. I can't remember which magazine she was in, but I think the same magazine has other celebrities demonstrating exercise moves--much better than someone else demonstrating the moves, IMHO. It was either Shape or Fitness.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote