Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-12, 07:49 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

The neighbors did what they should, they called in the professionals. Why should the neighbors get hurt unecessarily?

But anyway, if someone wants to go all rambo, that's their business, but to expect neighbors to come out and join in is a bit much. As what they did was a much better approach.

Other than my kids or dogs, i have no material posessions worth dying for.

I really dislike this rambo mentality, just like some cowboy would stand up in a dark crowded theater, full of mace, and get the bad guy in one shot. It's a fantasy that shouldn't be encouraged. Heck, trained professionals muffed it all up in Times Square.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:34 AM  
topfitmama

I don't think it's a matter of "going all rambo" at all, and I find it insulting to describe wanting to stop a criminal as "going all rambo". People are sick and tired of intruders violating their privacy and/or stealing their belongings, for which they paid hard-earned cash or put a lot of time into. While I probably wouldn't have the guts to go after someone unless they took something of real value away, I hope I would have the courage to go and help someone trying to stop a thief or and intruder. After all, it could have been my house and it may be the next one he visits if he's not caught.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:45 AM  
fit44

Our neighborhood has been targeted by the local drug addicts (3 robberies last month). There is no way I would chase down an intruder for fear of what influence he/she is under.
I would defend my children (last one is moving out this week), and my dogs, but never chase someone down the street.
My dog's instincts are to guard. I was told if you don't like a guarding instinct, do not bring home a Dogue de Bordeaux. They pounce just like Hooch in the Turner and Hooch movie. My male weighs 130lbs and still growing. Our Dogue's father weighs 167lbs and when he jumped to greet me, he pushed me back 4 feet....and that was just a friendly hello.
Anyway, my fur kids make me feel safe when I'm home alone.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:51 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippity View Post
Yup, they look deadly, lol.

I sure wouldn't try to come in that door, though.

Love the picture!
We had a new TV delivered in our bedroom last week. My mastiffs sleep in crates in our bedroom, but I put them in another room for the delivery. The deliver guys saw the two large empty crates and asked me what lived in them. I told them mastiffs. One of the delivery guys told me the large crates and the sound of my dogs scratching on the door made him very nervous..... he couldn't wait to get out of my house.
Old 09-08-12, 07:30 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Good for this woman. I'm sad no one helped her, though. I hope they never find themselves in a similar situation a year or two from now. Karma can be a b*tch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
When adrenaline kicks in things happen. A guy broke into our apartment when my DS was an infant sleeping in his crib. I was reading in bed and suddenly a guy was in front of me. My only thought was of my son. I leaped out of bed and charged the guy head-on, screaming like a wild woman. Fortunately he was only a prowler and ran right out where he broke in. But when the adrenaline surge wore off and I was dialing 911, it all crumbled! I was a complete mess.
Pat, I can't imagine having that experience while your baby is in the room!
Being robbed at home is so horribly invasive on other levels, too. ... I was robbed in 1988 but I was outdoors and by myself. A 6'1" teenager hit me in the back of the head with a rock and shoved me down, trying to grab my purse. I'm small and, back then, was quite submissive in nature. But you wouldn't have known that from my response -- I got right back up and my fists & legs were flying! .... The guy made the mistake of attacking me under railway station lights, so we were staring at each other as we fought (actually, I was furiously punching, scratching & kicking him and he was trying to shove, then block me while pulling for my purse). This later allowed me to confidently photo-ID him with the police, which led to his arrest. (He attacked several people that night.) During the attack, I quickly intuited that this guy only wanted to stun me, not hurt me, so I think this awareness made me all the more aggressive. As long as I live, I'll never forget the perplexed look on his face under those lights. It was like he was thinking, "S**t ... Now what? ... This crazy fighting girl wasn't supposed to be in the damn script." .... The cop at the hearing told me the guy had bruises & scratches over his arms when arrested .... I was quite pleased!

The same cop told me that no one can predict how they will react when attacked. Some of the "tough guys" become surprisingly docile when attacked and some of the docile ones (like me) become surprisingly tough .... I did several years of rape crisis work with women shortly after and saw many other examples of this while volunteering at the hospital. You never, ever know how you'll respond to a situation like this. Your response won't always match who you think you are.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 08:02 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post

Pat, I can't imagine having that experience while your baby is in the room!
Being robbed at home is so horribly invasive on other levels, too. ... I was robbed in 1988 but I was outdoors and by myself. A 6'1" teenager hit me in the back of the head with a rock and shoved me down, trying to grab my purse. I'm small and, back then, was quite submissive in nature. But you wouldn't have known that from my response -- I got right back up and my fists & legs were flying! .... The guy made the mistake of attacking me under railway station lights, so we were staring at each other as we fought (actually, I was furiously punching, scratching & kicking him and he was trying to shove, then block me while pulling for my purse). This later allowed me to confidently photo-ID him with the police, which led to his arrest. (He attacked several people that night.) During the attack, I quickly intuited that this guy only wanted to stun me, not hurt me, so I think this awareness made me all the more aggressive. As long as I live, I'll never forget the perplexed look on his face under those lights. It was like he was thinking, "S**t ... Now what? ... This crazy fighting girl wasn't supposed to be in the damn script." .... The cop at the hearing told me the guy had bruises & scratches over his arms when arrested .... I was quite pleased!
How scary, and amazing of you to fight back!

My sister was walking in a parking lot and some young guy grabbed her, held a gun to her head, and told her to perform a sexual act. He forced her down to her knees. She screamed out for help from God ,and at that moment, a thought popped into her head...... the gun had no bullets. She stood up and grabbed the gun, and the boy ran.
She believes God heard her cry and told her to fight back.
I know some people will not believe it, but I believe God helped heard her cry.
Old 09-08-12, 08:47 AM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
How scary, and amazing of you to fight back!

My sister was walking in a parking lot and some young guy grabbed her, held a gun to her head, and told her to perform a sexual act. He forced her down to her knees. She screamed out for help from God ,and at that moment, a thought popped into her head...... the gun had no bullets. She stood up and grabbed the gun, and the boy ran.
She believes God heard her cry and told her to fight back.
I know some people will not believe it, but I believe God helped heard her cry.
Fit, I hope I don't offend other VF'ers by writing this, but I completely believe this happens. What an amazing thing!!!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 09:20 AM  
ldy_solana

Well IMO if I thought somebody was going to harm, in any manner especially sexual assault, my special needs daughter or myself, I would certainly go "all rambo". I have no problem handing over my possessions, but I won't let anybody take that piece of us.

Plus, even if a crime article is written not ALL the details are provided. We could have very well been hearing about such an incident, but it just wasn't reported. It's very easy to leave out those details b/c charges may be pending and it can't be mentioned for legal reasons.

There are other ways to get involved rather then getting in the middle of all the "action". Maybe a well organized neighborhood watch group could prevent some of this b/c these criminals would never know who/when they were being watched and wouldn't have a chance to run before the police came. There are preventative ways to get involved, but some people seem to have an excuse that they can't make time for it or make complaints about it until they are in a situation.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 09:21 AM  
pattyd0319

Some amazing stories and I do applaud those that fight back. At the same time though, I don't blame the neighbors as they may not have known what was going on and might have thought it was a domestic situation and best to wait for the cops. The crook actually played into that and was telling her 'we are over.' My dh who is a retired cop said that domestic situations can be the most dangerous where a cop can get injured.

I grew up in a poor, border town and now live in an upper class neighborhood and I've seen everything. I've seen crooks risk their lives to help someone and I've seen good, upstanding citizens freeze up when they could have helped. There are times I have stopped to help (once stopped to help when on the side of the road, a father was running off with a baby after slamming the mother on the ground and talked the man into giving me the baby while he calmed down and cops showed up). There are other times when I talked myself out of not helping but felt guilty afterwards. If I had my son with me and time to think, I might not intervene and wait for the cops.

I'm glad the woman is ok and the intruder was caught. I hope I never find my family or myself in this situation.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 09:33 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
The neighbors did what they should, they called in the professionals. Why should the neighbors get hurt unecessarily?
I agree that they did the right thing by calling 911. I'd do the same if I saw two strangers fighting in my yard.

The story, like so many others these days, is written in soundbites. Nothing is known about the neighbors. They may be elderly, or have no insurance, or afraid of being sued if one or both people were badly injured or died. I sure wouldn't want my parents jumping into a brawl.

I'm glad the woman is ok.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote