Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-20, 12:44 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I would like to be involved in a check in even if it just were for the pandemic period. I would like to hold myself accountable. I have been good with my exercising and not bad with my eating. My one big accomplishment is that I am finally learning how to cook at age 62. I cook dinner on Friday night, something easy and so far vegetarian.
Hsim, I was thinking that a special check-in during the pandemic period would be great. Any ideas for what to name the check-in? Congratulations on learning how to cook! I cook every day, and love to talk about cooking and baking! I study recipes all the time, and try to tweak them to make them more healthy and flavorful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
You should definitely participate in a check-in Abbe. Any one of them that I have ever been in has been welcoming. One of the many reasons VF is so wonderful...so many beautiful people .... cheering each other on .....no matter what!
Aw, thanks, Linda! I agree about the amazing people here.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 06:53 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
congratulations - what workouts did you do, and did you cut back on sugar?
Hubby and I walk 3 miles 6 days a week. I do upper body weights (Firm, Cathe) 3x a week and the other 4 days I do Ellen or a similar Jessica Smith. I started doing online Essentrics 2-3 times a week a few months ago. I've always watched my sugar/carbs very closely and exercised regularly, but I wasn't able to lose weight and keep it off (and stop binges) until I started eating balanced meals and snacks throughout the day. I'm eating more mindfully now.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 08:22 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Hey Everybody!!!

I Don't read that much here at VF. I usually browse over the "new posts" and if something tickles my fancy (like this thread) I open it up. I frequently don't comment due to time, etc, etc. But when I see the "old timers" (as in here forever that I have a special connection with) post like this, I like to read/add.
So ... here I am!!!!

Like Joni - I started out vowing that "2020" would be my year. I meant it. I was going to work out every single day. I was going to start on my weight loss journey (having gained many many many pounds over the years) and continue to do new and exciting things. And I am 67 days away from comlpeting my "Every day in _____"

My office was shut down from March through June. I lost weight, had extra time to exercise (I'm an endurance athlete, so was THRILLED with this) and starting working with a nutrionist. I've always had a weight problem. I'm great at taking it off, not so great at keeping it off.

Then March came! BAM!!!!

I continued to stick to the plan, but it was tough (I didn't go to the stores too frequently) so staying on track with proper macros was challenging. I still lost weight and kept to my workout routine. So when we DID go back to the office, I was down a signficant amount of weight. My "project 2020/me" continues. I did not gain the usual "Covid 15". I also work in health care field. (Dental) we see a lot of patients and that alone is a stressful work environment and exhausting. With all the extra PPE, the new protocols. EVERYTHING. Just so psychologically draining. (So in a way I am out and with people, just not the way I would like to be.)

I am happy to be home anyway, so it didn't change my lifestyle as much. With winter coming, it might. I do get out to the parks to play Pokemon Go (Socially distanced with a mask) but even the game rules in that have changed to accomodate Covid and social distancing. I think it's very interesting. My dh is less than thrilled because he said I was a hermit to begin with and this didn't help . . . There is NOTHING wrong with being a hermit.

I keep going because in my mind and every morning, I thank my lucky stars and I'm grateful for all I have. I stay in touch via computer, phone, texts, etc. with friends and family. I lost my Mom in June and that was super difficult, since I couldn't be with her and we couldn't go to the funeral either. But I refused to go into a tailspin. It's been a difficult year for everyone. I also remind myself daily: THIS TOO SHALL PASS ... Maybe not now, not in a month or two but in a year or two and I want to be better than I was going in. I want to be able to do the things I didn't/couldn't want to do. I have a bucket list and I'm going to fulfill it. So for now? I plod along, I'm cautious, I prepare for the future and when this passes, I will get out there and LIVE LIFE to it's fullest .... (Probably riding my bike across the country or something. Or at bare minimum across several states! with dh following in an RV.)

My thoughts are: Being the best I can be takes a LOT of time. I can't wake up in 2022 and "wish" I had taken better care of myself through the pandemic. I want to wake up in 2022 and be able to do EVERYTHING I want to do. I will be a better person. Abbe: You can be too ..... But you need to stay on track !!!!! Be positive, post, join a check in, create a check in if that's what it takes. And wow ... I HATE to cook ... lol. You can wake up in 2022 and do another performance at Carnegie Hall! A second (or third or fourth) act if you will and be EVEN BETTER than you already are!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 09:58 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Cleda - great post! Glad to see you around.
FitBoop - I remember Belly Busters! I think the checkins are a great way to get extra support and highly recommend joining or forming one. (It doesn't have to be a formal sign-up think; people participating in the checkins tend to come & go.)

I work at a college, so mid-March was a mess! I had my first days off from exercise in 2020 during that time, including 2 in a row, which is almost unheard of for me now (unless I am on vacation ). I was fully remote from then through May and then off in June & July (as per my usual 10 month contract). Since August, I have been on campus 1 day/week and working from home the other days. Although I like working from home (I don't miss my 40+ minute commute), I do find that I have less work/life separation now, especially given that my workout room is also my home office! And like many others, I lost my routines of being able to get out of the house, particularly teaching yoga and going to yoga classes, both of which I did weekly.

So, last spring I worked out consistently, as my schedule was pretty flexible working from home. I also started filming YouTube yoga routines and resumed meditating daily, so I kept myself pretty busy through the summer. Since the semester started back up in August, my work schedule has been very busy. I find that I'm exhausted by the end of the day. One thing I do miss about my commute was the transition time before getting home and exercising! I try to build in some transition working from home, but it's harder. So, for the past few months, my workouts have still been pretty consistent, but generally lighter than usual. I have done more yoga and less strength work. I have many more days of only doing something for 20-30 minutes. My meditation practice has also been more sporadic, so I'm trying to get back into that again.

As a psychologist, I have been trying to take my own advice and simply let things be how they are right now. I am specifically working to avoid "shoulds," such as I "should" be working out more. I have spent a lot of time reading for pleasure (which I always do, but have been more indulgent) and have been baking much more regularly. I also started teaching yoga again earlier this month, which is something I love. I think the best thing we can do for ourselves (this is always true, but especially during the pandemic) is to treat ourselves with kindness and acceptance. It's important to notice our successes and be gentle with ourselves about our failures (we all have both!).

Sending virtual distance ((((((HUGS)))))) to all!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 10:43 AM  
darbyndoug

I've actually increased my home workouts, and my walking, too. Thank goodness for Central Park during all of this...daily forays into green and nature have meant so much. I very much miss visiting my regular yoga studio, and the group energy, especially during the meditation and chant. Can't wait to return.
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 11:10 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

The first two to three months I really let myself go. I live very close to NYC and was almost crippled with fear. While furloughed, I ate too much and lounged around on the couch and didn't do much else. This wasn't conducive for managing my bad back or zipping my pants, so I needed to literally force myself to do anything. I still have to push myself, but the one thing that I was doing right was walking outside. I've kept that up. My gym is open again and I'm going once weekly.

A positive thing has been how the web saved what was left of my fitness program. My yoga studio adapted very well with Zoom classes and workshops. They have a morning Zoom meditation group that was literally a life saver. I kept up my Glo subscription (formerly YogaGlo). Glo has added Pilates, barre and other fitness classes, and Lee Holden's Tao Yin program there is helping with lethargy. I also purchased Shakti Warrior by Alice Bracegirdle on Daily Om and of course there is good old YouTube.

I won't lie though - the tension and fear continue beneath the surface and it affects my energy. And eating habits. Not happy with the weight gain and lingering malaise. And the not sleeping thing - yeah. I am more thankful than ever that we still have VF because checking in with my fitness buddies kept me going.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 11:45 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Cleda, thank you for your inspiring post! Your positivity is palpable. I will take your advice to heart. It is great that you set short and long term goals, and figure ways to achieve them. I agree that this too shall pass, and that one of my goals is to emerge from the pandemic with something positive to show for the time.

On the one hand, during the pandemic, I feel like I should be writing the book I have had in my head for years, or learning a language or getting an online degree, but on the other hand, I don’t want to get stressed out if I don’t do those things. I’d be happy to emerge from the pandemic in the same state I was in when it started, which was at a good weight and fitness level, and singing well. I have barely practiced singing since March. That has to change, because singing is an athletic activity that requires good breath, core strength, and muscle coordination, requiring consistent practice. I watched The Voice yesterday, and it inspired me to get back to singing (people have told me to audition for it, but I don’t have the nerve, especially since they really want 15 and 20-year-olds, even though there’s technically no age limit).

As for cooking, I have been considering doing something to bring cooking ideas and tips onto social media, like an Instagram or YouTube cooking page. I starting taking photos of my creations. My DH has been raving about my meals and desserts during the pandemic. Since cooking and baking is my meditation, and I do it every day, I’ve honed my skills over the past 8 months. So, maybe I’ll start a social media page.

Speaking of social media, I’ve discovered the benefits of Twitter during the pandemic. I have 4 different accounts, all on different subjects. I started a Twitter account 2 years ago, to market my concerts, but have since connected with musicians, singers, composers, conductors, and theater companies all over the world. I don’t have a lot of followers, but I was thrilled last week, when Leonard Bernstein’s estate followed me! I also received posts and likes from some famous singers whom I love, like Betty Buckley and Renee Fleming. My account is called Music Musings (@SopranoAbbe). I have found Twitter to be a good outlet and a way of being connected to people.
Old 10-25-20, 12:12 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
The first two to three months I really let myself go. I live very close to NYC and was almost crippled with fear. While furloughed, I ate too much and lounged around on the couch and didn't do much else. This wasn't conducive for managing my bad back or zipping my pants, so I needed to literally force myself to do anything. I still have to push myself, but the one thing that I was doing right was walking outside. I've kept that up. My gym is open again and I'm going once weekly.

A positive thing has been how the web saved what was left of my fitness program. My yoga studio adapted very well with Zoom classes and workshops. They have a morning Zoom meditation group that was literally a life saver. I kept up my Glo subscription (formerly YogaGlo). Glo has added Pilates, barre and other fitness classes, and Lee Holden's Tao Yin program there is helping with lethargy. I also purchased Shakti Warrior by Alice Bracegirdle on Daily Om and of course there is good old YouTube.

I won't lie though - the tension and fear continue beneath the surface and it affects my energy. And eating habits. Not happy with the weight gain and lingering malaise. And the not sleeping thing - yeah. I am more thankful than ever that we still have VF because checking in with my fitness buddies kept me going.
Pat, I relate to how you’ve been feeling. It’s great that you have kept up with the yoga and meditation.
Old 10-25-20, 12:40 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Another one here, really hit hard by the anxiety and fear. I was practically paralyzed for a few months - I could work (from home), but had no energy or motivation. Then being housebound added to the sedentariness. I def gained the COVID 15, but have lost 10 of it. I'm finding I can do short, 20 min workouts - that makes me feel better and then I have more energy to do stuff around the house.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 01:03 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

How has the pandemic affected your exercise and life routines?

The pandemic has had little effect on my exercise routines. I've had other disasters in the past few years that have had way more influence on my workouts. I had a vertebral compression fracture in my spine just from coughing. I have chronic (since I was 12) pelvic pain. Two severe six month bouts of pelvic pain in the last three years. No doctor has been able to help with that. These issues have taken over my brain. I have been on Red Alert for almost 3 years.

Recently, we nearly had to evacuate due to wildfires within miles of our home. The fires have gone on for months. I haven't been able to enjoy the outdoors for months due to terrible air quality.

I don't enjoy cooking. Who knew that that would be a plus during a pandemic?

I haven't slept well in decades. So, that is old news as well.

Yet, I continue to work out regularly. It's like brushing my teeth. You don't stop brushing your teeth when the crap hits the fan.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I have been trying and enjoying new instructors on YouTube. That has helped with motivation.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, exercise routines, pandemic