Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-12-20, 04:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Thinking positive is CRUCIAL

So I have my pom poms out and doing the whole PollyAnna thing for today and so thrilled to have Helen with me for the month and everyone else that we drag along!!! YAY !!!! We are ray(s) of sunshine around here. (Can we hear the song "walking on sunshine" playing in the background as I post. ) Ha!

Ok, enough of that. On to my check in .....

Helen: Yep. It is by all means CONTAGIOUS so I am glad to see you posting and hanging out here. It makes me happy to come and see a post from Helen! Maybe the time difference isn't such a bad thing. (Not that I'll ever adjust to it). And never EVER feel bad about buying Cathes. To be honest? I just have so many workouts I have never de shrunk that I do feel a bit guilty even buying new ones. Occasionally i'll order KCMs cuz her format works for me. And I actually de shrunk (one) of her new ones that came. Maybe I should put that on my list?!? Too many workouts, not enough time. And right now in my workout world? I have soooo many choices, I really do not need more. When I think back to the old vhs days. or even before that ?? the cassettes and the old 33s?!? Wow .. now I sound old. LOL Funhy you mention the date thing. I wondered if you did month-day-year or day-month-year.

Monday Monday ... :: sigh :: so good to me! (I hear another song)
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down .... (boy I'm on a singing bender this a.m. and yes! It's raining out but NO! I'm not down.!)

Lili: Yes! by all means you count that 50 minutes of gardening. Functional fitness at it's best. It's more beneficial to do small bouts of exercise throughout the day then to just do a good workout and then sit. Also known and referred to as NEAT (non exercise activity Thermogenesis) we talk about it a lot on my coaching facebook page! so yes! you're doing GREAT things and it counts. (this is also why I often get in a walk or SOMETHING later in the day). Thanks for permission to NOT do the dust bunny/virgin challenge (although it would do me good) !!!

As for meditation? I can focus, but have to bring myself back. Dh swears I can't shut my brain off, but I can!!! It takes practice. The other problem though? as soon as I do? I fall asleep. Then I read if you fall asleep in less than 5 minutes you might be sleep deprived. Well, DUH? But anyway .... I know it's good for me and it does calm the mind.

Pam: Your steps are good for a rainy blustery or EVEN a sunny day for that matter. My fitbit ONE died (and that's a whole nother story so I'll spare you guys for now, this post will be plenty long enough) so I'm not even counting steps these days. Go figure! Great check in as always.

On to me, me and all me. I think I'm still floating high from yesterday's workout. I did the tabata that was I had planned (mentally in my brain) and let me tell you - it was everything i had hoped it would be and everything the other one WAS NOT. I may try to attach a picture of it, cuz the graph is frame worthy and I am super pleased with my outcome. (pats self on back). Ironically? i'm not too sore today (maybe DOMS will set in later?) I did a proper warm up and cool down plus post ride stretch, so that probably helped. Oh and I'm in pretty good shape considering .... I had done the other tabata ride (which was only 3 segments - so 24 intervals, but still counts) only 2 days prior. What was I thinking?

Anyway:

10/11/2020: Warmed up with Power Zone endurance (CDE) 30 mins. ride for the Challenge, followed by Ally Love's 45 mintue Tabata (56 intervals) , cooled down with 30 minutes Power Zone ride with Matt Wilpers (for the challenge) and 10 minute Classical music cool down ride with Emma Lovewell (one of my favorites) and a post ride stretch.

I felt/feel PHENOMENAL. Talking about starting to focus on more running/treadmill for the RECESS. (which is coming up in 2 workouts). So I have about 4 weeks off cuz I got way ahead of schedule!! But I"ll take it. I am looking forward to running farther and maybe even faster.?!?!?

Today is my first check in with my new coach. I will have new macros assigned. And I am determined to make this work and stay focused. 3 weeks to the end of October and then 2 months till the end of the year. As of today? 80 days left of 2020. . . .

Make it a great day and HAPPY MONDAY. . .
Cleda

PS ... It worked! It worked!!!! Frameworthy tabata graph attached. Wahhhhooooooooooooooooooo ...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resize-16024952961339174943SWLTabata.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	4711  
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 04:38 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Neat

And for those who may be interested:

NEAT:

https://www.acefitness.org/education...0single%20day.
Old 10-12-20, 05:41 AM  
Helen

Mon., 12th Oct.
30min, Tony - P90 (new) Sculpt B
14min, Tony - P90 (new) Ab Ripper A
with buddy
was NOT feeling it beforehand, and if she had ditched, I wouldn't have done anything, but AFTERWARDS, felt SOOOO much better!

PAM
Kudos for the mental shift!
I love blustery rainy days - my favourite kind of weather is anything that you especially notice.

CLEDA
I suffer dreadfully with earworms (songs in your head that go around and around - the less of it you know the worse it is because the loop is shorter. I don't know much of modern music - modern being anything after 1960!
BUT I've had Elle Fitzgerald's version of >> "It's a lovely day today" << in my head for a week because the weather has been absolutely PERFECT!
Now have "Monday Monday" already buzzing around.
Ggrrr... sorry, but I can't handle a 45min workout being referred to as a "Tabata". Sure, it might be interval training, or even high intensity interval training, but a >> Tabata << workout is only 4 minutes long!! Not cross with YOU, but with those who name workouts incorrectly. [vent over]

LILI
I read a book by the Nobel Laureate who did a lot of work with telomeres. >>"The Telomere Effect" << (just typed/deleted a LOOOOONG paragraph about it - fabulous book!!!)
long story short: meditation is scientifically proven to improve health!
So keep at it- thoughts that arrive - acknowledge them but let them go & get right back to counting breaths, or listening to outside sounds, or whatever method you're using to STOP thinking about other stuff.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-20, 10:20 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

A quick post & run...

Oct 12:
~Cardio: 5 km forest hike with DH & 15 min Tropical Walking W/O (YT)
~Essentrics trademark practice
~Shakti Warrior Dance Day 5: Open & Receive
~Steps: 12,623

Today is our Canadian Thanksgiving, so I am full of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, & gravy. I enjoyed every delicious bite!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 05:40 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Tabata

Helen: I agree with you. I do feel the word tabata is misused and misrepresented in workouts. BUT ... If you look at the tabata that Ally does, it is 4 minute blocks. Of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. She makes it a point to do tabata as it is supposed to be done. So, Ally does it right! Anything else? Just intervals. Earworm? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh so very familiar with it. I place them while riding my bike outside all the time. My endless loop goes on and on and on ... Doesn't take much. And there is a song for EVERYTHING.

I also read that my beloved "Sundays with Love" are coming back. I am so excited. So excited that I may just do her first one live. It's season 2 and I can't wait. I miss doing them. And I adore Ally Love. The virtues are just a bonus and many times? The rides bring me to tears.

I wasn't going to check in, I was just going to read. But here I am.

Waves to all - shout outs later. Might as well check in while I'm here, but I do have to get to the bike.

10/12/2020: 45 minutes treadmill with Matt. I thought it was going to be endurance, but somehow? I picked one that was trianing for a faster 5k. What was I thinking? We had incline, we had speed work. Good grief. it was NOT endurance that I thought it was. Then ... I went on to CDE's PINK ride. (30 minutes on the bike) all Pink music. I always forget that this one has intervals within it. oy... should have done coldplay. lol. It was for a badge and the joke is on me cuz I think the badge challenge doesn't start for a few days. D'oh! my body thanks me? Maybe?!?

Ok, gotta run. Really. need to get in endurance for today. (REAL endurance)
Likin' the new nutrional coach so far. We'll see how it goes.
Only 79 days left till the end of the year.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 10-13-20, 05:42 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Cleda - the few rides I've done with Ally I've really enjoyed. I don't know if I've tried one of her Sundays with Love. Thanks for the link, I'm keeping it to read through later.
Helen - thank you for the book recommendation. I've requested it from my library.
Pam - glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving! It's my daughter's favorite holiday, great food and no presents to stress over! I did the Tropical Walk too!

10/12 - I started with a 30 minute Leslie weight workout, but quit after 10 minutes. Then I started a Quick Fix Ball workout, quit after 10 minutes.
Body Project 20 Minute No Equipment, but the female instructor used light weights, so I did too.
15 min. Tropical Walk.
13 min. of rebounding.
10/13 - dog walk
On The Ball Pilates
Zumba Sulu (YouTube) 30 min. This was new for me. All visual cues, some fun dance moves, some weird up close camera shots, but overall, it was fun.

6/15 virgin/dustbunnies

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-20, 10:51 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Oct 13:
~Essentrics class
~Neighbourhood walk
~2 short Bellicon streaming workouts: All About Arms & Abs which used light hand weights and Booty Barre which I rigged up my Maxi Glider beside my rebounder & used the handles as my barre. I’m doing a free 7 day trial, no CC required, to see if I’d use this site. I had a sub a few years ago. I’m thinking ahead to cardio during our often dreary winter. We don’t get much snow, often none, but we get our share of rain & fog.
~Shakti Warrior Dance Day 6: Express Your Truth
~Steps: 10,025

Lili - I’ve started and bailed on a workout many times. How did you like the Tropical Walk? I thought it was okay but the music was a bit bland. I must check out Zumba Sulu.

Waves to Helen, Cleda, & Kay!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 10-14-20, 12:29 AM  
Helen

Tue., 13th Oct.
60min dog walk
that was all I did, but it was a long walk because the pace was fast - used 136 bpm Podrunner, and deliberately included hills, hills, & hills to make it a workout for both Alice and me as knew I didn't have time for both my own workout & taking her out, so did the 'two birds' thing.

Busy busy busy - preparing for DH's b'day on Sunday. It'll be the one The Beatles made iconic - his 64th, so this'll be brief!

LILI
Her point, in The Telomere Effect gets laboured. She bashes you over the head with the idea long after you've probably understood it. Vitamins, meditation, positivity, exercise, low-stress, social contacts, whole foods, .... we all know these things are all good for us but the book gets to HOW and WHY all they are - the tin-tacks of the concrete process; and backed up with scientific evidence, clinical trials, longitudinal studies, ..... It's quite rigorous for that aspect.

CLEDA
I'm glad it's 4min of 20-10. That made me smile.

PAM
Belated Happy Thanksgiving! Didn't know that Canada did it, thought it was uniquely USA.

Must dash, as tonight have to
1) make Alice's dinner (big batch of mince, veggies, rice) DONE then divvy into meal-sized containers & freeze.
2) wrap & freeze her chicken drumsticks before they go off in the fridge DONE
3) make first stage of DH's b'day cake DONE, cooked & cooling
4) exercise
5) walk/play with Alice DONE
and that's just the stuff I MUST do, without any WANTs in there (like my OWN dinner/shower/.....) and it's already 5pm.

ETA
Well THAT didn't take as long as I thought! only 6:20 & I'm also changed ready to jump whilst the cakes cool (3 'cakes' as it has layers)
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-20, 05:33 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Pam - I don't even remember the music from Tropical Walk, so it must not have been that good. I was happy to see him without his hat, as I'm old school and don't believe men should wear hats indoors! Of course, he was outdoors. I should warn you about the Zumba, he had flashing lights on the floor most of the time, in case that bothers you. I found it distracting.
Helen - you packed quite a bit into your day! A long dog walk definitely counts!
Waves to Cleda & Kay!

10/14 - dog walk
17 min. Beginner Rebounding w/ SanFran Fitness.
10 min. Meditation from YT.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-20, 10:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Oct 14:
~Bellicon streaming: Turkey Burn Thanksgiving w/o
~Neighbourhood walk
~Essentrics Precho 11 Workout - I’ll be teaching this routine for the first time tomorrow
~Shakti Warrior Dance Day 7
~Steps: 12,172

DH & I braved Costco today, hadn’t been there in months. We figured that mid week post Thanksgiving it might be quiet & it was....definitely a rare occurance! So I’m stocked up for a while

Helen - Whew, you were a whirlwind getting all that done! What kind of cake are you making?

Lili - Yes the music in Tropical Walk was not remarkable. Hmmmm, I’ll have to see about the flashing Zumba lights, might just give me a migraine, lol!

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn