Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-10, 02:56 PM  
Muria

One I've seen a lot today (and stumbled over a bit):

ITA - I totally agree
Old 01-19-10, 04:18 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

ALC ALC1, ALC2, ALCI, ALCII : Kari Anderson's Angles Lines and Curves, vol I or II
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:21 PM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Thanks Renda!

Every once in a while someone will ask what a Joni O. is (yanking a workout out of the player before its over, often when it's just underway!). It's not really an abbreviation, though. Now that I think of it, maybe it would work better under "VF Lore".

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:53 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebella View Post
Thanks Renda!

Every once in a while someone will ask what a Joni O. is (yanking a workout out of the player before its over, often when it's just underway!). It's not really an abbreviation, though. Now that I think of it, maybe it would work better under "VF Lore".
There are no rules for this. I was hyper and started doing it.
There is definitely a place for Joni O and Clare*'s lore.

Thanks for the suggestion.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:57 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Yes, ask WWWendy to sticky this in the FAQs. There was an earlier list of abbreviations, but it hasn't been updated lately and isn't as thorough, since it lacks the instructors commonly discussed on a first name basis, which is almost as confusing as the abbreviations sometimes!

Oops, I am sorry. I didn't know there was a list I should add to.
When the suggestions slow down I will ask for it to be stickied.

Thanks

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
Old 01-19-10, 05:16 PM  
KathAL79

All of your efforts are not in vain! You've provided us with an updated list for the new decade (OK, avoiding the issue of whether or not 2010 ends or begins a decade). The two lexicon-style links I know of date back to 2002 and don't have as long a list of instructors' names and workout titles (in the VF and Forum software FAQs: Acronyms, which goes through more of the general Internet abbreviations like LOL, dh, etc., and A work in progress: The VF Lexicon?, which is more about VF lore-type stuff), so an updated one focusing on exercise videos is going to be very useful. And yours is particularly helpful because, as I mentioned, it has a lot of the instructors' full names, plus it has so many of the abbreviations we've devised for styles of exercise as well as names of workouts.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 05:30 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Okay. I added Joni O and Clare*.

Please, Joni O and Clare*, if either of you is offended or not happy with your inclusion, let me know and I will take you out. I tried to represent the legend, the myth, but if I did something wrong, I can rectify it with my handy delete button.

Words matter.

Old 01-19-10, 05:36 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
All of your efforts are not in vain! You've provided us with an updated list for the new decade (OK, avoiding the issue of whether or not 2010 ends or begins a decade). The two lexicon-style links I know of date back to 2002 and don't have as long a list of instructors' names and workout titles (in the VF and Forum software FAQs: Acronyms, which goes through more of the general Internet abbreviations like LOL, dh, etc., and A work in progress: The VF Lexicon?, which is more about VF lore-type stuff), so an updated one focusing on exercise videos is going to be very useful. And yours is particularly helpful because, as I mentioned, it has a lot of the instructors' full names, plus it has so many of the abbreviations we've devised for styles of exercise as well as names of workouts.

Thanks for pointing those out to me. I never would have thought to look in that area. I will attach a reference to those so people who are interested can go look, as soon as I can figure out how to do it nice and neat the way you do.

Words matter.

Old 01-19-10, 06:30 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
BM Body Max Cathe Friedrick
Sorry, but I refused to use this one!
I prefer BMax (and BMax2 for the follow-up)!

I really can't type "I did BM this morning" with a straight face. But "I did BMax this morning is quite fine!"

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 07:21 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Ahh, come on Kathryn. That is just one of the benefits of exercising "regularly," right?

I will add your BMax.

Did you notice your newly minted LAS up there?

Words matter.

Tags
acronyms, dictionary, faq, former sticky, forum feature, forum tip, glossary, lexicon