Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-20, 06:46 PM  
nd2325

stretch for tight hip?

I have noticed over the past year my left hip flexor is ALWAYS tight. are there any exercises that are good to help that? any good videos? is it possible is is another muscle in the same area?
Old 05-05-20, 08:57 PM  
Tugger31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I4cKIK29O4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRaX6M2nr8
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 09:08 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Could be both quad & hip flexor tightness related, could be an imbalance between front & back body. Hard to say......

This is a link to an image of some of my favorite hip flexor stretches. If full frog pose is too intense, do one side at a time and it’s quite gentle. Keep some props nearby if you need some support to relax into them....pillows, yoga blocks, blankets, etc.
https://images.app.goo.gl/1aitBrfUtaoF8Dbf9

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:17 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I have had hip and low back pain on one side for years. I'm not sure what started it, but somewhere along the way my glute muscles on that side got very weak. I noticed the difference when doing bridge exercise. I literally could not do a single leg bridge on my weak side.

I've read that tight hips can actually be weak hips, so if stretching does not relieve your pain, look into strengthening. I have learned that when you have weak glutes, other smaller muscles will compensate and that will result in imbalances and pain. That is what was happening to me.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:00 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimf View Post
I have had hip and low back pain on one side for years. I'm not sure what started it, but somewhere along the way my glute muscles on that side got very weak. I noticed the difference when doing bridge exercise. I literally could not do a single leg bridge on my weak side.

I've read that tight hips can actually be weak hips, so if stretching does not relieve your pain, look into strengthening. I have learned that when you have weak glutes, other smaller muscles will compensate and that will result in imbalances and pain. That is what was happening to me.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful!
I had hip pain on one side that was bothering me and I read that I needed to strengthen the muscles around the hip. I started with Mari Winsor's lower body pilates , then moved on to doing some lower body band work with Brazil Butt Lift (High and Tight specifically). After just a few weeks my hip felt much better!!!
Old 05-06-20, 08:05 AM  
WazzyWaz

I find pigeon pose and foam rolling effective (make sure you target both glutes and quads) for opening the hips. Specific videos that might help are Jessica Smith's Hips and Knees from Gentle Yoga and the foam rolling routine from Paul Katami's 4x4 (there's also a great rope stretch on the same disc).
WazzyWaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 09:37 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I had hip pain on one side that was bothering me and I read that I needed to strengthen the muscles around the hip. I started with Mari Winsor's lower body pilates , then moved on to doing some lower body band work with Brazil Butt Lift (High and Tight specifically). After just a few weeks my hip felt much better!!!
Exactly! Good old fashioned floor work is very therapuetic, IMO.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 11:37 AM  
Exercise Diva

I love Dr. Jo's stuff! She's helped me work through several injuries!
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 12:58 PM  
nd2325

thanks everyone! I don't know that its a strength issue- I workout 5-6 times a week (barre, pilates, fusion, bootcamp,etc..). floorwork is included in all those workouts. I absolutely LOVE floorwork- floorwork and barre work so well for my lower body. Elevated clam is usually where i feel a little pain. Oddly I also notice it on days I have walked a lot. Mostly I notice it when stretching out at the end. I can do full frog pose with no problem, i feel it a LOT in straddle and figure 4 stretches. I used to do winsor lower body as a daily add on to my workouts and I didn't have the problem then, so I may try that.

Thanks for the youtubes I am going to check them out. I am SO trying to avoid having to go to a doctor.
Old 05-06-20, 02:11 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I know you said you don't think it's a strength issue, but I want to share something that Taiga shared with me that I've found so helpful. Basically, my hip flexors were taking over for my glutes. After a few days or so of doing the things in this video and then working on some glute exercises, things got much better for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh44DSmJtLw

Good luck!!

Tags
hip pain, hip strength, tight hips