Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-17, 10:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

Unhappy

I saw he said he was not well but didn't realize it was shingles. Poor Tony! Will send him healing wishes.
Thanks for posting this Wishiwas

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 11:20 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTmethodfan View Post
Hi Abby -

I read that same article last week too. It was very compelling.

A link - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/h...ttom-well&_r=0)

And a quote -
That's interesting. A friend of mine who is 59 wanted to get the shingles vaccine recently, but her doctor refused saying she has to wait until she's 60. It's obvious anyone at any age can get shingles, so why wait? Doesn't make any sense. I'm 51 and I'm thinking of getting the vax myself. I know 3 people who have had shingles recently and only one was over 60.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 11:33 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I wish Tony the best, but I wish he wouldn't spread disinformation. Shingles is caused by a virus. Everyone has stress, so we could attribute everything to that.

It is so human to try to understand why things happen and try to find ways to control them. But, to think we could have prevented all disease is just not possible.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 01:46 PM  
Sollamyn

I had shingles when I was 24! My chest/back (ribcage area) was the affected area for me. My sister had shingles in her 50s and hers was on her face. She did get an anti-viral for it. It's not a fun illness for sure.

I know that shingles is caused by a virus, but I think my flare up was brought on by stress and extremely cold temperatures that made my ribs rattle every time I went outside. Being a southern Illinois gal, I wasn't used to that kind of weather and wasn't dressed properly for it. My grandmother also died during that time period.

Anyway--I don't think he meant to spread misinformation. He just didn't add the part about how stress can cause a flare up of the virus.

Donna
Old 11-15-17, 04:41 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I just called my doctor about this vaccine but he said to wait for the one to be released which covers 90% of the strains while the current vaccine only covers 50% of the strains.

I was hoping the new one was available becaus my deductibles have been met and the new vaccine will be substantially more expensive then the current one.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 06:49 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Shingles is caused by the virus that causes chicken pox, but anyone who has had chicken pox has the virus in their body. All the time. Forever. What causes it to be reactivated is, in the main, stress and fatigue. Any time your immune system is at a low point, the virus can be reactivated. So it isn't disinformation to say that stress causes shingles. It's just that it's a secondary cause, not the primary cause.

Stress can't cause shingles without the presence of the virus. But then, the virus is always there and only causes symptoms when your immune system is under duress. It's not either/or, it's both.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 07:23 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
That's interesting. A friend of mine who is 59 wanted to get the shingles vaccine recently, but her doctor refused saying she has to wait until she's 60. It's obvious anyone at any age can get shingles, so why wait? Doesn't make any sense. I'm 51 and I'm thinking of getting the vax myself. I know 3 people who have had shingles recently and only one was over 60.
I tried to get it and was also turned down (I'm 56). I asked why and was told that it's only effective for so many years (at this point), so if you get it young and happen to live a long time, then you're left vulnerable when you are more vulnerable (older). That rationale made sense to me even though I really wanted to get the vaccine because a couple of good friends have really suffered with it (and both of them have had reoccurrences).
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 09:41 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I tried to get it and was also turned down (I'm 56). I asked why and was told that it's only effective for so many years (at this point), so if you get it young and happen to live a long time, then you're left vulnerable when you are more vulnerable (older). That rationale made sense to me even though I really wanted to get the vaccine because a couple of good friends have really suffered with it (and both of them have had reoccurrences).
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining! As someone else said, they are coming out with a better vaccine so it seems it is best to wait for many reasons.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-17, 10:30 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

The new vaccine is recommended for 50 yo and up.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 09:57 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedygs View Post
The new vaccine is recommended for 50 yo and up.
Excellent! I will be looking for that -- any idea when it's supposed to be released?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramsay hunt syndrome, shingles vaccination, shingrix, tony horton, vaccines