Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-16, 12:36 PM  
at120

Start with step one of this progression and move on to step 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brA8BYaj7YQ

Doing lots of arm work also helps.
at120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-16, 07:37 PM  
videofit

I bought a pull up bar a couple of years ago cuz my PT suggested it would unkink my back. So I basically just hung. Then over time I could hang longer; then I tensed up more to hold myself up; then would hop and hold for as long as possible a few times; started doing knee-ups for my abs.

Over time I've not only become stronger but my upper back, chest, shoulders, abs and arms look much better than years of weight work. I do have to be mindful of one wonkly shoulder though so don't push too hard at once. I have no plans to try full on pull ups (don't really care) but probably will just do it eventually as I get stronger, simply out of boredom.
Old 07-10-16, 07:56 PM  
noodles

I was taught to start doing "let downs" as opposed to pull-ups at first in order to learn how to engage the muscles properly. So I boost myself to the up position then slowly let myself down. After a few weeks I was finally able to do one pull up - yep only one was I was very proud of myself lol!
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-16, 08:16 PM  
aktse

Although Lauren Brooks is known more for her kettlebell work, she also sells a paper workout for Pull Ups
aktse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-16, 11:35 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Lauren Brooks' pull up program is $50. Sorry that is outrageous for a paper program that covers one move. I know there is a coupon code for $10 off but still.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-16, 11:21 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I was taught to start doing "let downs" as opposed to pull-ups at first in order to learn how to engage the muscles properly. So I boost myself to the up position then slowly let myself down. After a few weeks I was finally able to do one pull up - yep only one was I was very proud of myself lol!
Jamie
These are also called negative pull-ups. That's how I got mine as well.

Caution: you need some basic strength to do these. Some great advice given in this thread already about building up that strength. You should be strong enough to do a good bar hang before you attempt to do negatives. So pull-downs can help get you there.

I also recommend training with a chin-up grip (palms facing you). That adds more muscle into the lift (biceps).

Seriously training deadlifts will help get your shoulder girdle strong.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pull up help, pull ups, pull-up bands, trx