Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-14, 02:31 PM  
pollytc

Pull Up Assistance Bands

If I were to do P90X, I know for a fact I can't do pullup. I read that you can use assistance bands. Would I use this with all pull up bar or as if I was using a band with a door assistance?

Last edited by pollytc; 01-02-14 at 02:34 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct
pollytc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 02:36 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

If you're talking about the Woody Band (I think that's what it's called) or SuperBand (which is what I have), then you need a pull-up bar. The band helps you pull up.
Old 01-02-14, 02:39 PM  
horusosiris

You need a pull up bar to use super bands. I love my superbands and you can also use them for other types of exercises. I purchased mine from Performbetter.com and they are excellent quality. You can also use a suspension trainer to do modified pull-ups or the Lebert equalizer to do some of the pull-up options in P90X3. I have a pull up bar but I also occasionally use my suspension trainer and Lebert equalizers to do pull ups.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 02:42 PM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
If you're talking about the Woody Band (I think that's what it's called) or SuperBand (which is what I have), then you need a pull-up bar. The band helps you pull up.
Yes, what Helen said. When I first started P90X I couldn't do an unassisted pullup and went this route - I LOVE my SuperBands!!!!!

If you want to eventually do a real pull-up, you really need a pull-up bar and some kind of assistance to work the actual motion of the pull-up (and work in things like negatives and such). I prefer the bands over using a chair as the position with the band is EXACTLY the same as an unassisted pull up. BUT, if you are just looking to work the back muscles, using bands attached to a door hinge (either high or low) to do lat pull downs or seated rows works extremely well.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 03:38 PM  
pollytc

Thanks for the info, and now I have another question....I was looking at these bands and they come in different sizes and I believe weight. How do I know what I'll need? Thanks again for clarification!
Old 01-02-14, 09:48 PM  
msladybug

We have pocket doors....so a pull up bar didn't work for me.

I bought the contraption that set onto the door frame molding. It doesn't seem as though it would be secure, but it was. At first I just looped tubing with handles over that, and used that to build up strength. I decided I wanted to mimic the pull up motion more closely....no weight on the floor. But I was I was unable to do a single pull up unassisted.

I bought bands from PerformBetter. Since I was unable to do even one unassisted pullup, I got the thickest/widest bands from PerformBetter. With the band I was able to do 3-4 assisted pullups. It was a lower rep set than I felt I wanted to do, so I would use the tubing with handles to do a warmup up set. Rest, then follow up with 1-2 pullups.

I was glad I got the heaviest bands, as the others would not have provided enough assistance. If you are able to do a pull up now, and are light and/or petite....you may not need the heaviest band, but the heaviest band is a good place to start.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 10:09 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I bought the green band in this set:
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Bands-Pul...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

It is 1.75" wide.
I also have a band the same size as the purple band in the picture from a different manufacturer.

The description says:

Pull Band Set 2 is the best beginner set for Pull Ups for most adults between 120 to 225 lbs. It includes the Purple 1 1/8" & Green 1 3/4" Wide Loop Resistance Bands. Loop the Band your pull up bar, tie a knot, put one foot inside the loop, and begin doing assisted pull ups. Once you can do 20 Reps with the Green Band, move to the Purple Band and repeat until you can do unassisted Pull Ups.

I agree with this assessment. I would start with the wide green band or one the same size from a different source.
I think using the bands is a good way to start but I was getting nowhere with them after awhile. I started following Steve Maxwell's e book: Your First Chin-Up the logical route" and he advocates starting with horizontal pulls, moving up to negatives, then static holds then partial pull ups. I was up to partial pull ups but overdid it last week and now I have elbow tendinitis. My advice is not to do them 2 days in a row if you are of a certain age...
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 10:20 PM  
IrishOT

I no longer have a place that I can hang a pull up bar so I have the chin up max from BB on my trade list if anyone is interested.
http://www.totalfitnessdvds.net/Prod...Code=chinupmax
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 12:03 AM  
msladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I bought the green band in this set:
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Bands-Pul...ef=pd_sim_sg_1

Loop the Band your pull up bar, tie a knot, put one foot inside the loop, and begin doing assisted pull ups. Once you can do 20 Reps with the Green Band, move to the Purple Band and repeat until you can do unassisted Pull Ups.[/I]

I noticed the instructions said to put your foot into the loop, I always put my bent leg in, so the band was on my shin. I'm curious if others step into it with the foot, or put the knee/shin in?
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-14, 07:59 AM  
fit_fairy

The bent knee is harder than putting the foot in. So to start put the foot and progress to bent knee as you gain strength.
fit_fairy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pull ups, pull-up bands