Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-27-20, 11:47 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was miles 1 and 4 from Power Walk. Yesterday was Strictly Strength.

Donna, Hope you are able to sell the condo quickly. Is the place that has meals more like an assisted living situation?

Sherry, I agree. If Jessica went to streaming, I'd probably sign up! That would be my only subscription though.
Old 01-28-20, 06:53 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was - Essentrics Day 16 - Full Body with Amanda - this was a more strengthening type workout - standing and floor and some good stretches at the end.

I plan to walk at work (I did yesterday) and this evening do some cardio. Maybe something from Jessica's Walk On set (the one filmed on the dock - I did one of them over the weekend!)

wishiwasinhawaii - the place with the meals is not assisted living per se- although they do have that option there as well as memory care. The apartment there would be small - similar to what my mom has now - but you are responsible for cleaning it and your personal care (dressing, meds, showering, etc.) there is a meal plan with breakfast and dinner provided - lunch would be on your own. The apartments have fridges and stoves so you could make something quick for yourself for lunch. I'm giving it some thought...I'll see where we are once we sell the condo. My mother is the oddball - she doesn't want to be independent - most people try to hang on to their independence! I guess the best way to describe the place i'm looking at is like living in a hotel.....

Sherry - maybe I'll do that walk on my "HIIT" day this week. I can't do Jessica Valent's HIIT - she does too much jumping and other dreadful moves! LOL!
I will have to check out that video form Dr. Dray!

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 07:14 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Stepping Strength (youtube version).

Donna, That's interesting. I didn't know there was an option that is an assisted living 'lite' for those that don't need everything assisted living has. Does Medicare pay for any of this? Forgive my ignorance, but I've never had to deal with older parent issues, so I really know nothing about it. I'm actually asking for a friend who is having some similar issues to what you're experiencing.

Waves, Sherry!
Old 01-29-20, 08:28 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I got a walk in at work and then in the evening I did Jessica Smith's Walk On (dock setting) Latin Dance Walk. These are more fast paced than I remember! Either that or I am slower....probably the latter.

This morning I did Gina B's Dance That Walk Circuit # 2- Upper Body Circuit and i added on a stretch from Gina B's You Tube Channel. If time permits I'll get the Essentrics workout in later, but if not, I'll just be behind a day!

My DD doesn't have school today but I scheduled her for doctor's appointments so I'll be busy running around with that.

wishiwasinhawaii - for good or bad I have learned a lot about senior living and assisted living/nursing homes! There are age restricted communities - that is where my mom lives now - it is basically an apartment complex for people over a certain age. There are no services per se although there is an office and they do plan activities for the residents like bingo, movie nights, parties, etc. There is also a bus service available 4 days a week that takes them out to grocery stores, banks, shopping, etc. and they do have day trips occasionally. But the residents are responsible for their own apartments, meals, etc. Then there are places where they have a continuum of care - there is independent living, assisted living, memory care and nursing care. Some of these places come with a meal plan for those living independently. I looked at one of those places for my mom - she would have her own apartment and would be responsible for it - but there is a meal service where you get breakfast and dinner in a dining room setting - which is good for socialization. Depending on the stage you are in for assisted living, I think even the folks in assisted living eat in the dining room. They also have social activities, trips, buses, etc. Then there is assisted living where you have differing levels of assistance depending on your needs - such as dressing, grooming, cleaning, medication management, etc. And, finally there is nursing care for those who are essentially unable to do most things for themselves. And, of course, memory care for those with alzheimers/dementia. Independent living in a senior community is the cheapest option since there are no services being provided. The next level up would be the independent living with meals and that is more expensive - the place I looked at for that was $2,500-$3,000 per month depending on the size of your apartment (I don't recall if that included utilities). Up from there is assisted living and the price around here varies on that depending on the amount of assistance provided, whether you are in a single or double room, etc. The places I looked at around here started at the $3,000+/month range for a shared room with limited assistance and went up to something like, I kid you not, $87,000 per year for great deal of assistance! Then, there is nursing home care and that is outrageously expensive - Medicare and any private insurance you have pays for it for a limited time - I believe Medicare pays 100% for 20 days and then they pay 80% and your private insurance picks up the balance - if you have insurance - it has to be medically necessary that you be there - but they only pay for a certain number of days (I think 90) and then you are on your own - doing self-pay until you run out of money at which point you go on Medicaid and they pick up the tab. But, it has to be medically necessary that you be there to have Medicaid pay. Medicare/Medicaid does not pay for assisted living at all. So, it is a grim situation for people who are not aging well - the costs of these places will quickly dry up your savings and if you own a home Medicaid will put a lien on it and re-coup the money when the house is sold. I am hesitant to have my mother go to assisted living just yet b/c her money will run out all the faster - and once it is gone I don't know what happens if she is not ready for a nursing home that Medicare/Medicaid would pay for. Getting in home help is an option but the hourly rates add up quickly and some places have a minimum number of hours per day/per week and sometimes you have to be careful who you hire - we know of a woman who was robbed 2X by two different care givers -

One thing i would suggest is that your friend find an elder care attorney - there are ways to set up trusts, etc. that will protect the assets of the person and also enable them to be eligible for Medicaid sooner. Medicaid has a five year look back - so you really have to plan ahead - essentially if you go through the trouble and expense of setting up these trusts, you have to pray that your loved one does not need to go on Medicaid for 5 years b/c if they do, the "jig is up" so to speak and they will get your money.

All very sad for those who are not aging well and those who are left to care for them. I know I could not take on having my mom live with me - it would be a disaster - so I feel like I'm between a rock and hard place in figuring out what to do. Realistically, with a job and a family, I really can't be running to her place all the time either to help her with stuff. I do what I can - but it is probably not enough. But, I also can't sacrifice my own health and sanity and my family life for it either. So.Ugh.

Sorry to write a book!

Donna
Old 01-29-20, 09:12 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today I did one of Jessica's older 30 minute youtube walking videos. I also went for a brief walk at work.

Donna, thanks for the detailed information! I had no idea Medicare doesn't pay for assisted living and about the 5 year thing. That's all very scary. Do you think you'll end up moving your mom to the place with the meals? Honestly, I hate cooking so I wouldn't mind that myself, LOL.

I'll pass the info on to my friend. Thank you again!!!
Old 01-30-20, 09:06 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a productive day - and I also managed to get a long walk in w/ DD as well as my Essentrics workout - which I think was core with Meg (??)

This morning was Essentrics - Lower body -with Gail. I can't keep the titles straight. I am aiming for a walk at work as well as something this evening.

wishiwasinhawaii - it is a bit overwhelming to sort all this stuff out - so going to an attorney is a good idea - it is expensive to set up a trust like that but could be well worth it in the end to preserve assets....I'm not sure what to do w/ my mom honestly. She is never happy - no matter where she is. Re: cooking, I don't mind doing it but I feel I never have enough time to do it and just becomes another painful chore to get done. I try to do some advance meal prep on the weekends to make during the week meals easier, but that doesn't always work out the way I want it to and I also don't want to spend my entire weekend preparing for the coming week. So, it is tricky. When I'm retired I may not hate cooking - we'll see! But truly, some of these places are pretty nice with a lot of activities. The trouble is my mom would probably never go to anything and would eventually find going to the dining room for meals to be too much trouble. *sigh*

waves, Sherry - I watched Dr. Dray and Angie's video on some new retinol product from France - it sounds like a dud! I may go back to Differin, I backed off of it for awhile as I wasn't sure if it was doing anything.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 01-30-20, 11:27 AM  
Leonana

Tuesday was you tube, the Back Friendly Strength workout. Yesterday was my Tai Chi class. Today was FITIN15 Upper Body. I have my volunteer filing today, so need some energy.

I really enjoyed the Tai Chi class. It relieves stress, provides some stretching, and also some light cardio and toning. It's also good to get out of the house.

Donna, my mother lived in what was called a retirement center for the last five years of her life. It was similar to what you described, however, there was no assisted living or nursing home attached. They provided three meals a day in the dining room, and once a week room cleaning, and also provided and laundered linens. The resident had to bathe themselves and do their personal laundry. There were activities and rides to stores. They also had a beauty salon stylist come in once a week, along with things like a hearing aid company. The meals were pretty good, we were able to eat there with my mom for a low price. Her health actually improved, because she was eating healthier. The resident had a two room suite with a bathroom. The kitchen area had a small fridge and microwave, so they could eat in their room if they liked. It was like a hotel room, but the rooms were large. Fortunately, she never needed assisted living. She lived there from 2001 to 2006, and the cost then was $2000 a month, which was paid for by her social security. She also rented out her home, and had the rental income for personal expenses.

I think about what my daughter will have to deal with when my husband and I age. Another good reason to continue exercising!
Old 01-31-20, 07:07 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I walked at work but didn't get anything else in - I ended up staying late to talk to a co-worker who is having a hard time - in a nutshell our workplace stinks and her situation is particularly bad. She is considering resigning but doesn't want to go w/out health insurance. I keep encouraging her to stick it out and actively look for another job but it is so bad for her she is seeing a therapist and not getting any sleep at night. It really is a very dysfunctional environment. Personally, I check the job postings every day for transfer opportunities. I'm not willing to leave my employer b/c after 20 years I have too much invested there to leave completely - but I do look for ways out of where I am on a daily basis! My co-worker has only been there a few years - so she can leave and not lose too much.

Anyway - all that being said, I got home too late to do anything else.

This morning I did Gina B's Dance that Walk Circuit # 2 - Lower Body. These workouts and Gina are a lot of fun. I enjoyed this one - 5 min of dance inspired walking alternated w/ 5 min of toning.

I will probably get out to walk today at work.

Sherry - I think a place like where your mom lived is a great option. TBH, I think my mom would ultimately complain about going to the dining room and would not take part in any social activities - she stopped doing things were she is now and complained about them when she was doing them. She is very difficult to please. So, I'm thinking now of hiring a service to come in a few hours a week to do housekeeping and such for her.

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Has anyone heard from Pam? I will send her a PM later to see how she is.

waves,

Donna
Old 01-31-20, 10:37 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Yesterday was Strictly Strength. Today is a stretch day, which I will do later tonight.

Donna, I agree your co-worker should try to find another job and not just resign. I guess she could go on Cobra for health insurance, but that is very expensive. The job I had the phone interview with a couple of weeks ago contacted me and said they decided to put the position on hold, so they aren't hiring anyone right now and will let me know if that changes. So at least I know what happened with that. I haven't heard anything from the internal job I applied for.

Like you, I've been at my company a long time and am heavily invested, but my manager is a nightmare, so I am looking for jobs outside because internal jobs that I'm qualified for don't come around too often. I'd be losing the vacation days I've accrued, but that's about it, so once I realized that, I decided leaving wouldn't be so bad. I'm continuing to apply for anything that looks good and will see what happens. I really doubt I'll leave this year because the whole job search process seems to take forever these days. Next year seems more likely.

Sherry, The place your mom lived in sounds perfect! It's good she was able to pay for it using social security. I agree we have to keep exercising. It's so important, especially as we age!

I haven't heard anything from Pam. Hopefully she is ok and is just busy.

Waves!
Old 01-31-20, 06:21 PM  
Leonana

Today was Mile One from the Power Walk dvd, with WU and CD. I get mixed up with this one, since the countdown clock counts up instead of down. I keep thinking I've worked out longer than I really have, lol.

Donna, that sounds awful, your poor co-worker. I hope she finds something better soon. Regarding your mother, having a cleaning service come in sounds like a great plan, and also sounds cheaper than moving her to a facility with more care. It all depends on the person, some would participate in activities, and some won't. My mother loved it. I am still loving the Curology, although it's made my skin drier. I'm now moisturizing with the CeraVe Cream in a tub at night. My skin feels so soft and looks nicer, so I'm pretty happy with the Curology. I found the fragrance free Ponds at Target, so picked it up today. I'm going to try it this evening, and see how it removes eye makeup.

wishiwasinhawaii, that's too bad about the job on hold. Good luck with the job hunt.

Tags
jessica smith get strong