Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 03-14-20, 08:30 PM  
Leonana

I did WS3 Cardio Step Jam this afternoon. I have a Fanny Lifter I found at Savers and I use the lower step. I was able to do it okay with a smaller step.

Pgun, I can relate. My brother is 72 and my sister is 82 with health problems. I worry about them too. And we eat fast food way too often! At least we can go through the drive through.
Old 03-15-20, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

We have been laying low - trying to avoid going out unnecessarily.

For work - I only have to go in to the office on Friday - we have split up and only 2 people need to go in each day of the week - the rest of the time we are going to be working from home. We shall see what happens by Friday - it may be that we are 100% at home by then - things seem to be escalating exponentially!

For workouts I did:

Saturday - Ellen - Fat Burning Fusion and Jessica Valent - Pilates for Back Pain

Sunday - Lucy Wyndham Read - 7 Min Arms & Abs; 20 Minute Walk & Tone and Jessica Valent - Hip Stretches

Lucy Wyndham Read is a new find for me - she is on You Tube and has a website where she sells ebooks and programs. The routines I did today were very straightforward - but seemed effective. There is no music - so you need to play your own and the production value is that she is shown on a split screen against a white background with one side showing lower intensity and the other side showing higher intensity. I would do more of her workouts for when I'm in the mood for something of that nature - they are also good for when you are short on time.

her website is here:

https://www.lwrfitness.com/

I hope everyone is doing well during this stressful time. I'm ok w/ curtailing my activities - it seems like a necessary thing to do to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. I am worried about DD, however, as less activity means more time on the computer which means more depression and disordered thinking. It will be hard to keep her busy/active especially since I need to be working during the week - as if I were in the office. I never thought I'd say these words, but I wish I was stuck at home w/ a 6 year old instead of a 16 year old!

But, this too shall pass.

Have a good day!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-20, 11:02 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Laying low here as well. I went out a little while ago just to drive around and get out of the house a bit and the stores looked less crowded, so maybe people are over the hysterical stockpiling. Or maybe everyone is too afraid to go out in public. We have confirmed cases in my town now so I have no desire to leave the house.

I haven't done any workouts. I just haven't been in the mood, but I'm going to try to get back into it today.

Donna, I discovered Lucy's workouts on youtube a few months ago. I've only done a few of the walking ones, but enjoyed them and felt they were effective. Is your DD going to school remotely? If so, she should be busy during the day with that so maybe she will be ok. My nephew (the HS senior) is now saying he thinks he wants to go to community college because he's not ready to go away. So we'll see. I'm glad he realized he's not ready and is being honest about it. He's also upset that senior activities, the prom and graduation may be cancelled. What crazy times we live in.

Sherry, I worked for the census years ago. It was actually my first job! I did the same thing you'll be doing.

Stay well!
Old 03-15-20, 05:18 PM  
Leonana

Today was WS2 Poise and Grace. I think this one was more challenging than the step workout from yesterday.

DH and I made a trip to Safeway about ten miles away. They had more food than the stores near us, although out of quite a few things. But they were out of plastic bags, and we had to use the cart to take the items to the car. We have Trader Joe bags in the car, we should have thought to bring them in. I haven't even attempted Trader Joe's or Costco recently, and I normally shop there all the time. The regular grocery stores aren't as crowded and seem to have more on the shelves.

My dd starts her Starbucks job tomorrow. I guess they are still open at the moment. They do have the drive through, so I suppose that part will always be open.

Donna, Lucy has been mentioned in the Jessica Smith Junkies FB group. She seemed to be really popular for awhile, although I haven't seen her mentioned recently. I did try one workout, but didn't click with it. But you know me, I rarely stray from Jessica, lol. Lucy does seem to have a lot of variety. Good luck with your dd. Does your family like games? Sometimes we can get our dd to play a game with us.

wishiwasinhawaii, that's cool you worked for the census! I've never done it, it will be a new experience for me.
Old 03-15-20, 07:42 PM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

My DD did go to ride the horse she leases today - I figured the barn would be safe - not many people there, and it is outdoors. Plus, I think it is good for my DD to get out and about and away from the computer!

wishiwasinhawaii - I wish our schools were doing virtual school. I have no idea why they aren't. For my DD's AP Psych and AP US history classes the teacher just told them to read. Nothing at all for her other classes. it is very troubling that there is not some sort of plan in place - even if they told us to look for assignments, etc. coming next week. And, I think schools will be closed longer than 2 weeks. I think this will go at least until mid-April. Perhaps they will come up with a plan. Very disappointing considering all the kids receive chrome books and they have google classroom! And, the AP tests are in May!!

Oh - and get this - one of those bounce houses places is offering childcare! While, I do understand that there are parents who MUST work and cannot leave their children at home alone - this is just a bad idea. I can see many parents just dropping their kids off to these places, regardless of their need for childcare, and honestly, those places are probably more germy than school. If this is what is going to happen then school would have been better. Same for teens who will go out and spend their days at the movies or mall or wherever kids go - if they are going to go out and about, then school would have been better. YIKES!

Sherry -Good workouts! This week and next I should make an attempt to follow some sort of rotation - since I won't be going in to the office and since DD doesn't have school I can fit in some longer morning workouts...and some evening ones, too. LOL! I hope your daughter has a good first day!

Hope everyone has a good night!

Donna
Old 03-16-20, 07:56 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B- Cardio for Menopause (she has a free e-book that has a 14 day schedule for women "of a certain age"). This was similar to Pahla's other cardio workouts, just a tad less intense. She also talks about how at this time in life, it is important to go moderate at least a few times a week rather than pushing hard all the time. Well, no one needed to tell me that twice, LOL!

Trifecta Pilates - Supported Workout # 2 - this was one was up for today on Trifecta's March calendar. It used a yoga blanket as a prop. I was worried it would be too "fussy" but it actually worked well -

The upside to the COVID-19 situation is that I can sleep in and do longer workouts. Working from home has its advantages!

re: Lucy - I don't think she could ever replace Jessica - Jessica has a great personality and presence as well as music and a nice setting. But, Lucy is nice for a change pace. I may buy one of her books for my Kindle to read and I may try some more of her You Tube workouts - the only thing is - there are so many of them, I'm not sure how to pick which ones to do! I did end up a bit sore from yesterday's workout, though. So I'll see if I can find some I would like to do.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Donna
Old 03-16-20, 04:16 PM  
Leonana

Today was Power Walk - WU and the first two miles. Four miles is on the schedule, I hope to do one or two more, and the CD.

I’m a little worried about dh’s work, it just started getting busy in the moving business. I know moves are scheduled at the moment, but think people will soon cut back. But we are all healthy at the moment and not high risk, plus have money in savings. I guess I need to focus on the positives. Definitely strange times we are living in. I’m now wondering if my census job will start in May.

Dd started her job at Starbucks today. They stopped in store seating, but people could pick up mobile orders inside and they are running the drive through. The hamburger restaurant next door, The Habit, is doing the same thing.

Donna, I think Lucy sounds like a good change for you. I did watch a speech she gave, I think it was a TED Talk, about the death of her fiancé in the military, and how exercise helped her depression. It was very inspiring. That’s great your dd can still ride at the stables. Maybe she can do some Khan Academy? There is a lot of free internet education. We used quite a bit while homeschooling. I’m glad you get to work from home. That’s interesting Pahla said that, she’s probably right!
Old 03-16-20, 06:23 PM  
donnamp

I agree, Sherry - these are strange times! All restaurants and bars here are now closed except for carry out. Our church has cancelled services until May 16th and I got an e-mail from my dentist that they are only treating emergencies for now. So, YIKES!

Donna
Old 03-16-20, 09:10 PM  
Leonana

Our businesses are still open. The governor finally closed schools, after being pressured to do it. Although, a lot of school districts were closing on their own.
Old 03-17-20, 08:16 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing well in your "confinement"!

Since I'm working from home today I decided to try one of Lucy Wyndham Read's suggestions for a morning, afternoon and evening workout. I normally can't do these things when I'm at work - but since i'm home, why not try.

She posts a weekly suggestion on her blog - the only trouble is for a variety junkie you would be doing the same workouts every day. So, I don't think I'm going to do this all week - but maybe a few days a week.

Here's her suggestion for this week:

https://www.lwrfitness.com/weekly-workout-suggestions/

So, this morning I did the walking workout - it was nice for a change of pace. I enjoyed the cherry blossoms! The downsides of course are no music and blah scenery - (with the exception of the blossoms!). But you could always play your own music and, in fact, mute her b/c you could watch on-screen. Anyway, I enjoyed this for a change of pace.

I think I will do the afternoon workout today after my conference call.

Oh - I also did Ky Autumn's (Blessful Body) - Spring Renewal - Day 1 - Foundations. I like Ky and this was a nice intro video to her style.

As much as I enjoy Trifecta from time to time, I don't really enjoy doing long Pilates workouts regularly - at least not right now...

OH -DD and I took a walk outside last night - I think we'll be doing that regularly since we are getting cabin fever. Restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc. are all closed here - and that makes sense, if you take away the places people go they will stay home. It is a confusing time and difficult to know if we are doing the right thing or not!

We now have a confirmed case in our county - it is a woman in her 30's who is not hospitalized and recovering at home. I know I will have to venture out to the grocery store at some point, I just wonder how barren it is going to be. Now, that is self-imposed by the people who went in there and cleared the shelves! Hopefully stores will have time to re-stock.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy!!

Donna

Tags
jessica smith get strong