Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-20, 10:19 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

The primary and most important difference between COVID-19 and other respiratory viruses is that most of them remain upper respiratory viruses, resulting in stuffy/runny noses, sore throat, and congestion.

This virus takes an entirely different pathway, and there is no nasal or sinus congestion at all, people have a fever and fatigue for a few days but the virus goes straight down to the smallest air passages in the lungs, taking up residence there and causing inflammation and increased secretions. People become increasingly short of breath and unable to take in enough oxygen. That it the scary part of this virus.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 02:20 AM  
hypnomoon

Washing your hands when you get home is great but, you touched your purse, the door knob, took your sunglasses off, your keys and maybe more. Are you wiping them down with a disinfectant wipe too?

And, take a pack of disinfectant wipes to your car. You touch the door handle, the steering wheel, etc.

Maybe you won't feel the need to go that far. I, however, went to the DMV today. It was reported this evening that a woman who tested positive had been to the very same DMV. Today's the 10th and she was there on the 3rd. I'm so glad that I have hand sanitizer in my car. I had been to the post office before and used the sanitizer when I got back into my car. Then I went to the bank and, when I got to my car did the same thing. I'm so happy that I did it after the DMV too.

My husband and I haven't yet changed our lifestyle because of the virus but, we are being much more careful. He still goes to the gym and wipes down more diligently. My Mom fell and broke her leg and ankle Last Friday. She had to have surgery that Monday and I used the hand sanitizers there liberally. She is in a nursing home because she has Alzheimer's. I don't need to pass anything onto her and then onto the others in the home. In fact, no one is allowed to visit the home.

We are not panicking but, we are staying smart. My husband is a college professor and he's around a lot of people plus, at 77 he doesn't need to get infected. There are 13 people in the Denver area that have tested positive. Three of those are in my town/'burbs.
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 07:35 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
(snip)So...how do I keep from touching my face a zillion times a day? Any tips or tricks? I tried to be aware today and still found myself rubbing my itchy nose before I could stop myself. I've joked that I am going to get some skunk spray or other equally offensive stuff from sporting goods and smear it on my hands. Any less extreme ideas would be welcome. (snip)
I used to suffer from multiple/frequent sinus infections, so I decided to stop touching my face (eyes, nose, mouth areas) as much as possible. To stop from rubbing my eyes, I started using eye drops to keep them from drying out (I have a problem with that!) and causing them to feel itchy/irritated. When I did feel the need to touch my eye area, I would use a kleenex. I also saw an allergist who finally got me on medication that kept my allergy symptoms (runny, itchy, stuffy nose; itchy, watery eyes) to a minimum. But, again, if I needed to rub or wipe, I used a clean facial tissue. And, of course, I just had to keep foreign objects (or my fingers!) away from my mouth--but that wasn't really a problem for me, as I was not a pencil chewer or anything like that. I just have to remember to wash up before eating or putting anything into my mouth, like medications.

I think these measures worked, as I hardly ever get a sinus infection anymore, much less the common cold or flu.

HTH,
Donna
Old 03-11-20, 12:37 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've started disinfecting my cell phone. You aren't supposed to use alcohol on a phone, but mine has a tight case and a screen protector.

The latest "fact" I heard is that the virus can last up to three hours on a surface. I'm sure that "fact" will change tomorrow!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 01:04 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
The primary and most important difference between COVID-19 and other respiratory viruses is that most of them remain upper respiratory viruses, resulting in stuffy/runny noses, sore throat, and congestion.

This virus takes an entirely different pathway, and there is no nasal or sinus congestion at all, people have a fever and fatigue for a few days but the virus goes straight down to the smallest air passages in the lungs, taking up residence there and causing inflammation and increased secretions. People become increasingly short of breath and unable to take in enough oxygen. That it the scary part of this virus.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true? Or maybe there's just conflicting info everywhere. But there was an AMA on Reddit with WebMD experts who are studying the virus and one of them said it's totally plausible that the virus can start with a sore throat/runny or stuffy nose like a cold does.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 01:45 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've started disinfecting my cell phone. You aren't supposed to use alcohol on a phone, but mine has a tight case and a screen protector.

The latest "fact" I heard is that the virus can last up to three hours on a surface. I'm sure that "fact" will change tomorrow!
The CDC says the virus can live for days. They neglected to specify the number of days. However, everything I’ve heard or read says it can live up to 9 days. Here’s the link to the CDC website:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...infection.html
Old 03-11-20, 01:59 PM  
violingal3

Last week a school a mile away from me closed, and today another school about a mile away in the other direction closed due to parents testing positive.

I'm trying not to be a panicked pregnant lady with a toddler, but it's hitting way too close to home!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 02:27 PM  
pgun3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
The CDC says the virus can live for days. They neglected to specify the number of days. However, everything I’ve heard or read says it can live up to 9 days. Here’s the link to the CDC website:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...infection.html
I heard 9 days also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
Last week a school a mile away from me closed, and today another school about a mile away in the other direction closed due to parents testing positive.

I'm trying not to be a panicked pregnant lady with a toddler, but it's hitting way too close to home!
I have heard there were several women that were pregnant when they got the Covid 19 and the babies were also born during that time and were virus free, that is if the news from China is being honest.
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 03:19 PM  
Erica H.

I just read this:

"Researchers found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 03:30 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I just read this:

"Researchers found that viable virus could be detected up to three hours later in the air, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel."

Erica
I read that too...so if it’s in the air we are screwed (I type this as I’m about to get on the subway in Boston).

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing