Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-06, 04:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi
It really doesn't matter when you do the workouts. I couldn't handle the early am stuff and I couldn't work out on an empty stomach either.
Agreed! I tried hitting the gym once on an empty stomach and almost passed out - not for me. Bill has recanted this in later communications on his websites, he recommends if the "empty stomach" thing is not or if you are an after-work workout person, for you to at least make sure you plan two hours between a meal and your next workout.

It helps to read and re-read the portions on breaking through your comfort level and then approach your workouts with an open mind, taking notes and learning. My personal belief, after doing 4 challenges, is that you can't properly do HIIT or the weight reps with someone else instructing you on the pace. Pure BFL requires that you put aside distractions and delve into the sessions, getting in clearer touch with your personal comfort zones and how to push yourself out of them to achieve greater strength. I just toss that into the discussion understanding that people live busy lives and many prefer to use guidance from media sources or need those distractions after a day of concentrating on work or other things.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 04:47 PM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73
Wouldn't Cardio Coach & Spinervals fall into the HIIT category? When I do the sprints in these workouts, I am almost in tears! I have to admit, since doing these workouts, Cathe's Imax's seem like "light days" in comparison!
I have not done Cardio Coach or Spinervals but I would guess no. If you look at the book on page 62-67, you'll see that you increase the intensity every minute until you hit a high point and then slowly take down the intensity and then increase again. You do this three times. This if BFL HIIT but most commonly I've seen HIIT as 15 seconds or so of all out cannot go any harder sprinting that completely depletes every morsel of strength you have followed by recovery for a minute or so (usually 1:3 work/rest ratio). Those 15 seconds should be the hardest 15 seconds of your life. After those fifteen seconds, if I said run 2 more seconds or I shoot, you'd have to say shoot me because you absolutely could not run anymore and you'd be in so much pain that death seems like a really swell idea. I find HIIT most easily done on a track because generally the treadmill takes too long to slow down and speed up.
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 05:05 PM  
Darisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak3211
I'm glad you are getting results but you aren't doing Body for Life. PUB and PLB are not BFL. BFL involves using much heavier weights than you could ever lift with PUB and PLB due to higher number of reps and lack of rest periods. True BFL would have you do fewer sets and reps and have rest periods between sets. I just wanted to point this out so that others that are considering BFL know the difference between PUB/PLB and BFL.
I did NOT state that I was doing BFL did I? I think the people reading this thread can read the difference, but thanks for pointing it out (insert sarcasm). The Pyramids are an option for those who don't go the gym and want to try something similar.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 05:31 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa
I'm on my third week using Cathe's PUB and PLB. I already see changes in my legs and arms. I'm really liking this rotation even though I'm using the same DVD every week.

Darisa
Darisa - Way to go on your results so far. Are you using the Pyramids once per week? Twice?

I just started a Cathe rotation and the Pyramids will come up last, in about 4 weeks, but they are my favorites so I might be able to stick with them for 4 weeks or even longer.

Anyway, I am curious to know how you are using them. Keep up the great work.

Thanks
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 05:44 PM  
Tait
VF Supporter

Quote:
I did NOT state that I was doing BFL did I? I think the people reading this thread can read the difference, but thanks for pointing it out (insert sarcasm). The Pyramids are an option for those who don't go the gym and want to try something similar.
Darisa, I am sure most of us understood that you were offering something for people that don't go to the gym.

Susan
Old 10-15-06, 05:50 PM  
Darisa

Tara I'm doing the Pyramids using BFL guidelines. So I'll do PUB 2 times a week and PLB 1 time. The following week I'll do PLB 2 times and PUB 1 time for 12 weeks. I'm really liking this rotation. For the next 4 weeks I'll sub 1 leg squats for the leg presses since I'm a bit sick of them LOL.

Susan
Old 10-15-06, 06:02 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Tara I'm doing the Pyramids using BFL guidelines. So I'll do PUB 2 times a week and PLB 1 time. The following week I'll do PLB 2 times and PUB 1 time for 12 weeks. I'm really liking this rotation. For the next 4 weeks I'll sub 1 leg squats for the leg presses since I'm a bit sick of them LOL.

Susan
Thanks Darisa! I might have to give that a try. Keep us posted on your results as you go and especially when you get to the end of the 12 weeks. I will be anxious to hear about your results.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 06:11 PM  
Darisa

Tara I will. I've sent you a PM.

Darisa
Old 10-15-06, 07:33 PM  
Susan

Quote:
FWIW, I knew exactly what you meant, Darisa.

Pipsqueak, I'm pretty sure Darisa knows what workout she is or isn't doing, and doesn't really need you to clarify it for her. Maybe you meant well with your explanation, intending to explain the difference to others who may not know too much about BFL, but you came across as very condescending to Darisa, who is very knowledgeable about exercise and fitness.

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 07:48 PM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan

Pipsqueak, I'm pretty sure Darisa knows what workout she is or isn't doing, and doesn't really need you to clarify it for her. Maybe you meant well with your explanation, intending to explain the difference to others who may not know too much about BFL, but you came across as very condescending to Darisa, who is very knowledgeable about exercise and fitness.

Susan
The rotation was posted in a BFL thread and there was nothing in the post suggesting that she was posting a non-BFL rotation. My post was intended to clarify what BFL was and wasn't. That's it. It was not intended to be condescending to anyone nor do I think I wrote it in a condescending manner.
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bfl, body for life