Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-15-06, 10:31 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Even though working out in the morning burns more calories than working out at other times, working out in the evening is better than not working out at all. I don't want Bill's statement to further discourage others from just doing it.

Helen
Old 10-15-06, 10:35 AM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darisa
I'm on my third week using Cathe's PUB and PLB. I already see changes in my legs and arms. I'm really liking this rotation even though I'm using the same DVD every week.

Darisa
I'm glad you are getting results but you aren't doing Body for Life. PUB and PLB are not BFL. BFL involves using much heavier weights than you could ever lift with PUB and PLB due to higher number of reps and lack of rest periods. True BFL would have you do fewer sets and reps and have rest periods between sets. I just wanted to point this out so that others that are considering BFL know the difference between PUB/PLB and BFL.
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 12:49 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

It sounds BFL works best with gym work, where you can lift heavier weights than at home (maybe using a universal gym or having a spotter handy).
Old 10-15-06, 01:50 PM  
ellaenchanted

hmm, I never noticed working out in the morning burns more calories at all. That sounds like one of fitness urban myths that was based on flimsy anecdotal evidence.

BFL will definitely yield great results. I read through the book and web sites about ut and it isn't a program for me, but it sounds like poeple have done really well on it and the pics are amazing.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 01:51 PM  
Mary09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S
Even though working out in the morning burns more calories than working out at other times, working out in the evening is better than not working out at all. I don't want Bill's statement to further discourage others from just doing it.

Helen
Please, no one let Bill's interpretation of that fat burning stuff deter you! I'm certain he's got it extremely exaggerated. Your total calorie burn for a workout doesn't vary based on the time of day or how empty your stomach or glycogen stores are. Yes, the blend of the different fuel sources (fat, glycogen, carbs, etc.) does vary but it's not that dramatic of a difference. The major study found 67% of calories came from fat burn vs. 50%. And many argue it's all a wash in the end, anyway. Meaning, if you burn more fat in a morning workout and then eat breakfast, you're building up the carb stores, which later on turn to fat stores if the overall calorie expenditure is too low. If you'd eaten breakfast first maybe you'd have burned those calories off as carbs instead of fat, but the excess is going to wind up as fat anyway, so why worry? ("Serious" bodybuilders take any advantage they can get, though.)

I hope this isn't way over the diet talk line.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 02:33 PM  
adrien_73

I just started reading the book, and I don't think I'll be able to follow this to a tee but it might help me set my own guidelines.

Many of the key points make sense, especially in regard to eating. I don't think I would be able to follow his workout schedule. I can understand the whole "less is more" principle, and can see where 3-20 min. intense cardio sessions per week will benefit someone who has never worked out regularly before. Currently, I do cardio 4-6x per week, and most sessions are 45-60 minutes. I do spinervals, running (usually cardio coach), Imax's & cardio kickboxing and usually fluctuate between 75-88% of max. HR. (I also do Cathe & Jari strength 2-3x per week, plus a few yoga, pilates or bar workouts). I will admit that I am likely over-training, and this is part of the reason I wanted to follow a exercise/diet system such as this. However, I just can't see how drastically reducing my cardio is going to help me lose weight & lower my body fat. I push myself hard in every exercise session already...for the FULL session, and this is what my body is used to.

WAIT!--I'm complaining about exercising LESS? What's wrong with this picture?!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 02:58 PM  
pipsqueak3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrien_73
I just started reading the book, and I don't think I'll be able to follow this to a tee but it might help me set my own guidelines.

Many of the key points make sense, especially in regard to eating. I don't think I would be able to follow his workout schedule. I can understand the whole "less is more" principle, and can see where 3-20 min. intense cardio sessions per week will benefit someone who has never worked out regularly before. Currently, I do cardio 4-6x per week, and most sessions are 45-60 minutes. I do spinervals, running (usually cardio coach), Imax's & cardio kickboxing and usually fluctuate between 75-88% of max. HR. (I also do Cathe & Jari strength 2-3x per week, plus a few yoga, pilates or bar workouts). I will admit that I am likely over-training, and this is part of the reason I wanted to follow a exercise/diet system such as this. However, I just can't see how drastically reducing my cardio is going to help me lose weight & lower my body fat. I push myself hard in every exercise session already...for the FULL session, and this is what my body is used to.

WAIT!--I'm complaining about exercising LESS? What's wrong with this picture?!
HIIT cardio is MUCH more intense than any other cardio. It makes Cathe's IMAX workouts look like a leisurely stroll through the park. That's why they're shorter. When you're doing HIIT, the work sections are all out sprints like someone is chasing you with a knife. It should be a pace you can only manage for a few seconds. I can barely make it through a 15 minute HIIT session but can whip through IMAX 3 and talk almost the entire time. So maybe it helps mentally to realize you'll be working harder which compenstates for not working out as long?
pipsqueak3211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 03:15 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Back in the day, I too did BFL and also did BodyRX. While both plans are based on nutrition and exercise, 80% of the results will come from the nutrition aspect. It really doesn't matter when you do the workouts. I couldn't handle the early am stuff and I couldn't work out on an empty stomach either.

I still got great results from BFL and even better ones from BodyRX.
Old 10-15-06, 03:22 PM  
Mary09

Adrien- You should try it for a month or so. I bet you'd have great results in half the time you're spending now.

Any of your current interval workouts would work fine for me for HIIT. I'm a cardio weenie, though.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-06, 03:32 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsqueak3211
HIIT cardio is MUCH more intense than any other cardio.
Wouldn't Cardio Coach & Spinervals fall into the HIIT category? When I do the sprints in these workouts, I am almost in tears! I have to admit, since doing these workouts, Cathe's Imax's seem like "light days" in comparison!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bfl, body for life