Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-06, 11:13 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

Well, I haven't doen them all but I have some favorites in some of the categories.

Beginner Video - Yoga Zone Introduction to Yoga
Most Versatile - yoga for Every Body(bodywisdom), actually all these titles are pretty versatile
Flexibility
Power (faster) - Eoin Finn (ok, I think he's faster but not sure if true yoga people think so!)
Vinyassa (slower) Tilak Pile ALtar of the Heart
Ashtanga
Iyengar
Restorative
Kundalini
Wake Up - Yoga Zone Sunrise, Yee's AM yoga, Yee's Yoga for Energy - awakening/centering segments
Before Sleep - Yoga for Every Body -ttom practices, ZYoga, Yoga in the Garden of Serenity
For Stress- Yoga for Every Body
For That Time Of the Month - ttom practices on Yoga for Every Body
Meditation
Yoga Inspired Dance
Strength Builder
One that you learned a lot from - Yoga for Dummies, Yoga Zone Introduction to Yoga
Best for someone obese
Best for someone looking for a straight up workout
Best short practice - Yoga Zone Sunrise, Yoga Zone Total Body Conditioning(1st), Yoga Zone STrong and Healthy Back(1st), Yoga Zone stretching for flexibility (1st)
Audio
Book

Favorite Instructor - Erich Schiffman
Favorite Scenery - tilak Pyle Altar of the Heart, Shiva Rea
Best Music
Best Savasana - yoga for every body, yoga zone conditioning and stress release
Old 09-12-06, 06:30 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikustree
I broke Iyengar and Restorative into two by request. I had them as one because whenever I see the classes around here that is how Iyengar is listed, I always thought that since he uses the bolsters and other furniture it was restorative based (I haven't taken a class obviously) so that is why I put them together. I will put most people's responces into the restorative category unless they are obviously Iyengar.
Thanks! It's an easy mistake to make -- the bolsters can fool you. Iyengar yoga has a restorative class as part of the cycle --comes up every 6 weeks or so. Most of the classes are very strenuous -- the strength comes in long holds -- like 5 min. downward dogs. Even my Iyengar teacher does a pretty invigorating restorative. If we look a little sluggish we're up in handstands in a minute.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 07:35 AM  
Talie

Beginner Video - Yoga Zone Intro to Yoga
Most Versatile - Yoga Shakti
Flexibility
Power (faster) - American Power Yoga
Vinyassa (slower) - Total Yoga the Original
Ashtanga - Short Forms
Iyengar
Restorative - Pure Tranquility
Kundalini
Wake Up
Before Sleep - Pure Tranquility
For Stress - Yoga Trance Dance
For That Time Of the Month - Yoga in the Garden of Serenity
Meditation
Yoga Inspired Dance - Yoga Trance Dance
Strength Builder - Ana Forrest's Strength & Spirit
One that you learned a lot from - Strength & Spirit
Best for someone obese
Best for someone looking for a straight up workout - American Power Yoga
Best short practice - Unlocking Athletic Power
Audio
Book - Moving into Stillness

Favorite Instructor
Favorite Scenery - for me less is more, I really like the blank white studio ala Total Yoga Workouts or Ana & Ravi
Best Music - Yoga Trance Dance or Ana & Ravi's Kundalini
Best Savasana - YZ's Yoga for Conditioning and Stress Release

Wouldn’t recommend this tape to anybody
Your number one most used tape - depends on whether I'm doing yoga for strength or not, Pure Tranquility gets a lot of use as does Total Yoga Fire. I suspect American Power Yoga will get a lot of use too.
Your number one favorite - Pure Tranquility
Old 09-12-06, 10:04 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Wow, what a great thread. I do have a few questions.

What are some good places to get some of these dvds. I know Fitness Organica carries some of them- Yoga in the Garden of Serenity, but what about the Backyard Series, Yoga Shakti, Jill Miller, Tilak Pyle, Cyndi Lee, Mary Pappas (is Yoga Complete different than her Yoga Complete for Weight Loss she did for BodyWisdomMedia?). If you listed harder to find workouts, where did you get them and can they be previewed?

Also, are there places to watch and hear the instructors. I'm particular about my yoga voices, LOL.

Thanks so much, maybe this should actually be a separate thread.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 10:30 AM  
fikustree

Hey Lynn, most of the ones that you mentioned can only be bought on the instructor's sites which rarely have an sort of preview. Most of these people make the DVDs to go to a pretty small audience, ie, the people they have already taught. You can't even find them in mail-order educational catelogs which have a lot of stuff that you can't find otherwise. So you have to just go on faith from your fellow VFers. So far I haven't been let down!
fikustree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 10:51 AM  
yoni

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Thanks! It's an easy mistake to make -- the bolsters can fool you. Iyengar yoga has a restorative class as part of the cycle --comes up every 6 weeks or so. Most of the classes are very strenuous -- the strength comes in long holds -- like 5 min. downward dogs. Even my Iyengar teacher does a pretty invigorating restorative. If we look a little sluggish we're up in handstands in a minute.
definitely true . I take Iyengar class once a week and it's usually my hardest practice of the week.
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 11:03 AM  
cinza
VF Supporter

angela farmer for teaching awareness and self respect.

I didnt see a catagory for pregnancy and would like to say Bikram's wife Rajashree, a top notch yogi, since the age of 5 has a pregnacy video. Its old, but I found one on ebay just to have it in my collection.

I pick Tony Sanchez for strength and a yoga series that goes the whole distance..into amazing just to watch.. 4 or 5 dvds.

Kundalini? I should have a choice here ... I havent seen enough media .. However, I did buy everything Ravi and Ana put out before I got serious about Kundalini.

I bought everything Ana Forrest and Erich Shifferman put out.
I love Ana for encouraging us to experience the intensity and take care of our necks..
Shifferman for encouraging us to snuggle down, it should feel good.
Old 09-12-06, 11:18 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO
What are some good places to get some of these dvds. I know Fitness Organica carries some of them- Yoga in the Garden of Serenity, but what about the Backyard Series, Yoga Shakti, Jill Miller, Tilak Pyle, Cyndi Lee, Mary Pappas (is Yoga Complete different than her Yoga Complete for Weight Loss she did for BodyWisdomMedia?). If you listed harder to find workouts, where did you get them and can they be previewed?
It's always worthwhile to google the names of videos & instructors to see where they can be bought/previewed. You won't be inundated with hits for the less-common ones ('cause, y'know, they're less common ).

Tilak's site (tilakpyle.com) does have a preview of Altar of the Heart. The Backyard Series is available on Erich's site (movingintostillness.com) but there are no previews -- if you can find a preview of his commercial release, Yoga Mind & Body, you can hear his voice there. I got Cyndi Lee's Yoga & Meditation Workshop from the One Spirit book club at onespirit.com -- no previews there. Yoga Shakti is on amazon, and other places.
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 12:04 PM  
fikustree

I will add pregnancy to the list
fikustree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 12:10 PM  
editstein
VF Supporter

Question Question !!!

Fikustree I hope U don't mind if I use this thread to ask a question ( since all the yoginis are driven here it is a good place to ask for me )
Is there a video to suggest to get into shoulderstand and headstand somebody that learn Yoga just from videos ?
Also a video very into splits ???
Thanks !!!

Tags
biff mithoefer, cool yoga tricks, donna helm yost, favorites, rainbeau mars, yin yoga, yoga