Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-05, 05:25 PM  
chelzi

Yin Yoga by Biff Mithoefer?

According to Amazon, there's a CD/flashcard yin yoga kit being released by Biff Mithoefer this summer. Has anyone heard of him? According to his bio, he lives in Vermont and teaches at the Omega and Nosara Institutes.
link to Biff Mithoefer Amazon listing
chelzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 06:32 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelzi
According to Amazon, there's a CD/flashcard yin yoga kit being released by Biff Mithoefer this summer. Has anyone heard of him? According to his bio, he lives in Vermont and teaches at the Omega and Nosara Institutes.
link to Biff Mithoefer Amazon listing
Interesting find! I've never heard of him. He has a website - http://www.biffmithoeferyoga.com . It sounds like he's been hanging out with the Kripalu/Omega yoga crew. I look forward to hearing more. Love yin yoga.

EDITED TO CORRECT LINK - Thanks Valerie.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi

Last edited by Jane C; 12-07-05 at 06:55 PM. Reason: corrected link
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 06:51 PM  
wildflowerdyes

Hey Jane, the link is not working (at least not on my computer). Are you sure you got it right?

Valerie
wildflowerdyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 06:53 PM  
blue_hydrangea

The link to his website is not working for me, either.
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-05, 06:54 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowerdyes
Hey Jane, the link is not working (at least not on my computer). Are you sure you got it right?

Valerie
oops. meant to say:
http://www.biffmithoeferyoga.com/

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 11:42 AM  
Elena
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C
Interesting find! I've never heard of him. He has a website - http://www.biffmithoeferyoga.com . It sounds like he's been hanging out with the Kripalu/Omega yoga crew. I look forward to hearing more. Love yin yoga.

EDITED TO CORRECT LINK - Thanks Valerie.
Thanks Valerie, I'm ordering this. Nothind does more for my hip flexibility than yin yoga.

Elena
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 12:21 PM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Yoga with Biff - that just makes me smile and laugh. Perhaps 'cause one of my high school nicknames was Biff

The more I read of Yin Yoga, the more intrigued I become...

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 02:42 PM  
chelzi

I notice that Biff M. also has Forrest yoga training, a definite plus in my book.

I've also been intrigued by Yin Yoga, but I've been neglecting the DVD's and CD's I already have, not to mention new ones I've recently bought (Tias) or plan to buy (Lotus, Backbends, and the next Forrest release whenever that may be). Knowing that there is a cheaper alternative to Powers, Grilley, & Fleming on its way may be enough to convince me to wait until August to try Yin yoga.

On the other hand, August is an awfully long way off, and I tend to do more yoga in the winter and more weights in the summer. I might just go ahead and buy Grilley's book and Erin Fleming's CD.
Old 08-08-06, 11:43 AM  
laurajhawk

Hey y'all,
Amazon just dangled this kit in front of me as a "newly released recommendation", so I dutifully bounced over to VFF to find out how it is -- imagine my shock to find only this old thread! It's been out two whole weeks; has anyone tried it yet?

I have been wanting to try some yin yoga; Amazon recommended this one because I put Grilley's book on my wishlist. This kit seems like a neat & affordable way to try it, but if possible I would like a stronger recommendation than just the cheap pricetag & the oddly musical name "Biff Mithoefer."
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 01:17 PM  
chelzi

I kept telling myself I'd wait, but I caved and ordered it. I expect it to arrive today or tomorrow.

In addition to Paul Grilley's book, my current Yin media include Erin Fleming's CD and Donna Helm-Yost's Flow and Yin DVD (both of which I would recommend). I did both last week and loved how good my hips felt when I went rollerblading over the weekend.

I'm not sure how many Yin practices one needs, especially since there are only 20 or so Yin poses, but when I find something I like, it's very tempting to buy more of it. I think Yin yoga lends itself well to audio practices. The holds are long enough that, if I need a visual cue, I have time to check the book (or CD insert or flash cards) before getting into a pose.

Once I get the Mithoefer kit and try it, I'll post a review.

In the meantime, a detailed description of the kit including a list of poses (more info than on the Amazon listing) can
be found at the publisher's website

Tags
biff mithoefer, donna helm yost, erin fleming, yin yoga, yoga audios