Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-19, 01:02 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Talking I took 33 years to finally do "The FIRM: Volume 1" (1986)

When I first joined VF, The FIRM was all the rage. (And, a reliable source of more than a few train-wreck threads.)

I was never a Firmie. I like a few of their videos, but not so much to be a huge fan. I can't remember the first ever FIRM video I watched, but I remember LMAO over the bouncing microphone, the braless boobage and the stilted dialog. Then I tried the workout and thought I'd die. Tough stuff!

I have had Vol. 1 on my shelf and finally decided to try it. It is as tough as I have read. I went light and had to modify some moves.

Towards the end of the inner thigh work, I got pretty tired. My cat came in to visit and we decided to lie down on my mat and watch the rest of the video.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 01:10 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
When I first joined VF, The FIRM was all the rage. (And, a reliable source of more than a few train-wreck threads.)

I was never a Firmie. I like a few of their videos, but not so much to be a huge fan. I can't remember the first ever FIRM video I watched, but I remember LMAO over the bouncing microphone, the braless boobage and the stilted dialog. Then I tried the workout and thought I'd die. Tough stuff!

I have had Vol. 1 on my shelf and finally decided to try it. It is as tough as I have read. I went light and had to modify some moves.

Towards the end of the inner thigh work, I got pretty tired. My cat came in to visit and we decided to lie down on my mat and watch the rest of the video.

It's a tough workout...I liked Vol 2 better....and really liked Vol 6 with the low impact moves and step. I probably got the most mileage out of Vol 6.

I really was a Firmie back in the day!

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 01:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ha ha! welcome to the "isn't this better than dieting" club.

"tough, eh?"

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 01:32 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
ha ha! welcome to the "isn't this better than dieting" club.

"tough, eh?"
I like it when Susan says a few times, "Hit it!"

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 02:27 PM  
bubbles76

This was hard in my 30s and hard in my 40s. Volume 1 doesn't stop being hard
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 03:15 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

I really like splitting V1 into two workouts, the 1st part being the warmup and standing strength work; the 2nd part, the floorwork and cool down (skipping the abs chapter, I don’t do crunches).

Alta, I’m pretty surprised that you have never done V1!
Old 09-22-19, 03:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I like it when Susan says a few times, "Hit it!"
yes - i was wracking my brain trying to remember more catch phrases!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 03:58 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

That was my very first Firm video - in BETA format! I barely even remember it because I haven’t done it in years. I just remember how sexy and breathy Susan seemed to be. I think I saw it advertised on TV because, of course, there was no internet. Wish I still had that Beta for old times sake.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 04:24 PM  
kristiep

You have me beaten! It took me 27 years to try Vol. 1. Back in the day, my mom had it and Vol 2, and I previewed them. They intimidated me so I stuck with my Kathy Smith tapes.

I did Vol 1 this morning. I did pretty well but the soft weights cardio segment continues to slay me. Then there's the table floor work. I should have gone sans weights but I wanted to see if I could do it straight through with 1 lbers. Almost!

Although Vol 3 is my favorite of the Classics, I like Vol 1 because it's thorough, and I'm always challenged by it.
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-19, 05:22 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I found Firm Vol. 1 in the 80's through the ad in Shape (?) magazine. I immediately ordered the VHS tape for $50 and did it so many times that I'm surprised I didn't wear it out. I instantly fell in love with the aerobics & weights workout concept. It was (to me) so new, creative and innovative at the time. I still have this tape as well as all the other clamshell VHS tapes and can't part with them even though I haven't owned VHS tape player in years. Interestingly enough, I've never been tempted to repurchase them on DVD. Different times different interests now. I loved classic Firms way back when although I never considered myself as Firmie.

Tags
firm volume 1, firmvol1, susan harris, the firm