Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-19, 10:17 AM  
metalbarbie

Long time exerciser --What happened to The Firm?

I just logged in after a 6 year absence. I am starting to re-exercise again after some life issues. My favorite has always been the Firm but are they still making videos? If not, when did they stop? I know Anna Benson died some years ago and the company was sold to Good Times and then Gaiam. Thanks.
Old 07-26-19, 12:18 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Welcome back. It's good to see you back.

I know that some of the Firm instructors opened their own gym and then it closed, I think. Some others here probably remember the details better than I do.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 01:07 PM  
MoFirmer

Hi there!

Emily opened The FLEX while Gaiam still owned The FIRM. She ran this gym until recently when it was purchased in name and moved to another location by another former FIRM instructor Amanda.

Several of the former FIRM instructors filmed streaming workouts under the BEMAX brand. Rebekah, Emily, Alison, Allie and Kelly filmed in those. They can be found under the FitFusion streaming site.
Old 07-26-19, 02:25 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you might like this thread too:

Where have all the FIRM instructors gone?

FitnessFavorites.com is now managed by Anna's son.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 07:27 PM  
metalbarbie

Thank you all so much!
Old 07-27-19, 07:39 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I don't believe any new Firm videos are being made anymore.
Old 07-27-19, 10:35 AM  
prettyinpink

Tracie Long has some newer DVDs over the past few years. Some people feel some of them are similar to Firms. I think she does not have plans to make more, and they are all on sale now for $10.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-19, 08:21 AM  
Carol K

Gaiam decided to stop making FIRM videos in 2015 (or probably before that, but we weren't informed until 2015). However, Gaiam still kept the rights to the FIRM name and Emily had to change the name of the FIRM studio to The Flex. In 2016 - 2018, Emily with Rebekah, Alison, Allie and Kelly Branning, produced streaming workouts called BeMax, which were first available on the TrainerPass web site and then were moved to FitFusion. They are still available there. In October 2018, Emily announced that there would be no new BeMax workouts in the future. I don't know when, but at some point, Emily had sold the building housing the Flex studio to a dance company, but continued to lease it from them. This year that company decided not to renew Emily's lease.

Former FIRM/Flex instructor Amanda Gantt (appears in one or more Wave workouts) and her husband Delph Gantt opened a new studio under the Flex name. They did not purchase Emily's business, but did purchase some of the equipment. The grand opening is on August 3. Amanda says she wants to make online streaming workouts in the future, but it depends on the success of the studio. The studio web site is www.theflexsc.com.
Old 07-28-19, 11:32 AM  
Ricka

Welcome back! I did a similar thing. Took a long break, and when I returned, learned that the FIRM is no longer and I was so sad.

You can also stream the FIRM on Gaiam, amazon, or even hoopla using your library card. If you are interested in classic FIRM, you can now stream them on fitness favorites.com.

If you are interested in some videos some of the FIRM instructors made, Stephanie Huckabee made few series. Power FIT

Others have already mentioned BeMax and Tracie Long.

Other people explained what happened so well. Do you all know where we can keep updated about individual instructors (other than the link , theflexsc.com), so if any of them should decide to do their own thing, we can find out?
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm history, the firm, whfn