Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-19, 03:02 PM  
Sara1000

Revisiting the old FIRM

Thought I'd work through all my old FIRM VHS, maybe for the last time (I'm 75 and I have a lot of them). I haven't done any of them for several years. I have given myself permission to do only part of a workout since they are mostly rather long and I don't like long workouts these days.

Started with Super Sculpting which has parts of Fat Blaster plus additional segments that weren't included in Fat Blaster. I did the first 20 minutes with Jenn and got a great upper body workout. I may keep this out as my go to upper body workout as it is quick but has 2-4 exercises for each muscle group.

These old FIRMs other than the 6 'Volumes' are really good, interesting workouts. The Volumes are good too, but not my favorites.

Anyone care to join me? Maybe a check-in?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 04:00 PM  
kat999

I still do old FIRMs all the time. I just did the Sandahl Bergman volume (was that originally #2 or 3?) that was re-titled Total Body Aerobics with Weights. I did the whole thing and even though I didn't use ankle weights or go as heavy as she does, it was honestly a great workout, and I felt like I got a good burn but wasn't exhausted. Volume 1 with Susan Harris is still one I have trouble finishing without taking a break, honestly, but I still pull that one out because I love the music.

I feel like the really old original ones I have on VHS only are fabulous, fun, and amusingly weird at times, but I also feel like if my VCR dies or a tape breaks, I'm not going to be rushing to replace them. I have a lot of my favorite FIRMs on DVD, and I like even the very recent sets before they rebranded and stopped using the FIRM name. A FIRM of any era has to be reallllly dreadful for me to get rid of it. I think the only ones I've gotten rid of have used weird bands or tubing, actually.
Old 04-25-19, 04:46 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I feel like the really old original ones I have on VHS only are fabulous, fun, and amusingly weird at times, but I also feel like if my VCR dies or a tape breaks, I'm not going to be rushing to replace them.
Same here
Old 04-28-19, 10:18 AM  
Sara1000

Today got out Fat Blaster. What a fun workout! I modified like crazy on most of the aerobic segments but still got my HR up, and best or all, I really enjoyed it!

Since my renewed appreciation for the older FIRM workouts I've joined a classic FIRM group on FB and am amazed how many enthusiastic fans Anna Benson still has!
Old 04-28-19, 11:09 AM  
bubbles76

Although I'm late to the party, I still love the Firm. Whenever I need a mental pick me up, a shot of fun, and a good workout without exhausting myself, I turn to the Firm. I do have to be careful with spacing them out, because my poor knees can only take so many leg presses. I gotta say, whenever I do another workout that requires leg presses, I'm mentally thanking the Firm for getting me ready lol!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-19, 11:18 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I gotta say, whenever I do another workout that requires leg presses, I'm mentally thanking the Firm for getting me ready lol!
Relatedly, I NEVER have any dread factor for squats, lunges, or dips (or "reverse lunges," as most-non-FIRM titles call them), because the FIRM and related emphasizes them so much. Although I'm not sure that I personally notice a huge benefit in my leg or glut muscles as a result, but I can squat and lunge like a pro!

One area that I think these workouts is weak on, though, is shoulders. I did a heavy shoulder workout on Friday, and I have had some not inconsiderable DOMS in my delts all weekend. This morning, even though I took yesterday as a workout rest day, my back was killing me, and I think it was overcompensating for my under-worked shoulders. I am slenderish and very pear shaped, so while my legs can handle a lot of "abuse," my upper body can be scrawny and hard to develop. Which I guess mirrors what the FIRM focuses on (or else I've overtrained on them over the years), but I don't tend to have trouble with reasonable upper-body focused AWT series. But doing thirty minutes of shoulders and delts was just murder on me. Not sure if anyone has an advice!
Old 04-28-19, 12:33 PM  
lizh

I'm always up for a Firm challenge! I try a lot of other instructors and programs and always come back to the Firm. I have a bunch on VHS too.

If others want to do a check-in, I'm game! Or we can meet up on the fb group. Today I have "not so tough aerobic mix" on my schedule.
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-19, 09:13 PM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
One area that I think these workouts is weak on, though, is shoulders. I did a heavy shoulder workout on Friday, and I have had some not inconsiderable DOMS in my delts all weekend. This morning, even though I took yesterday as a workout rest day, my back was killing me, and I think it was overcompensating for my under-worked shoulders. I am slenderish and very pear shaped, so while my legs can handle a lot of "abuse," my upper body can be scrawny and hard to develop. Which I guess mirrors what the FIRM focuses on (or else I've overtrained on them over the years), but I don't tend to have trouble with reasonable upper-body focused AWT series. But doing thirty minutes of shoulders and delts was just murder on me. Not sure if anyone has an advice!
Volume 2 is not weak on shoulders
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-19, 10:05 PM  
cdayley

I love the Firm, and do 2 or 3 of their workouts per week. I modify the parts that hurt my knees (no tall box climbs or leg press). I'd love to do a check in!
Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-19, 06:05 AM  
Carol K

I'm 61 and I do FIRM and BeMax workouts 6 days per week. Not just the old FIRMs, all of them. In 2015 I replaced all my VHS FIRMs with DVD, except for the 6 compilations and the one Basic workout that I have. I have 106 FIRM workouts and with the 31 BeMax workouts, I never get bored, even though there are no more new workouts for me to buy.

Tags
firm, revisiting the firm, the firm