Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-18, 01:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Which is why I am considering the streaming Udaya subscription.
what do they charge?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 01:38 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Sherry, the length of the practices is a big reason I am not buying the Annie Carpenter set at least not now. I did a few of Vytas’ shorter YouTube videos and liked them a lot but I don’t know if I will do one hour at a time. It depends what I decide to do in the way of strength going forward
I actually prefer my Yoga practices to be longer. Shorter practices always feel rushed or incomplete to me. I’m really looking forward to getting this set in my hands.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 01:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
what do they charge?
$14.99 for basic (includes classes 5-60 minutes-all instructors )
$18.99/month for enhanced which includes everything in basic and access to the programs such as Vytas' Find your Practice and Deepen your Practice, Rudy Mettia's programs, Travis Elliot's Ultimate Yogi, Tony G. etc.

Right now there is a special - subscriptions of 3 months of enhanced membership for the price of 2. This offer expires on 12/31 I think.

https://udaya.com/
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 01:54 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
I actually prefer my Yoga practices to be longer. Shorter practices always feel rushed or incomplete to me. I’m really looking forward to getting this set in my hands.
I am just getting back to yoga after many years of avoiding it due to a back issue. My PT said no forward bends and I couldn't figure out how to modify.
Anyway I used to like longer practices but at this point I don't know if I will have time to do yoga for 1 hour. It depends on if I use it as an add on to my lifting or as a substitute. It is something I will be overthinking about in the next week.

I do know what you mean about shorter workouts feeling incomplete. The Pilates DVDs I have are 20-30 minute practices which work great when I add it to other strength work but on their own it isn't enough. I was doing one hour classes at Club Pilates so I got used to that.
Old 01-02-19, 03:15 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathym View Post
Udaya.com has a 3 month gift membership that I am currently trying.
The gift membership is the enhanced membership.
This membership includes: Streaming access to UDAYA’s PROGRAMS
It appears that Annie Carpenter's program is only available on DVD so no matter which streaming option is chosen it cannot be accessed.
I went to the Udaya 'shop' tab and programs that are shown as 'online' can be accessed with the enhanced membership.
Kathy, which teachers would you recommend? So far I have only tried Vytas but a lot of his stuff is vinyasa which I only want to do in small doses and probably not until a few weeks from now once I get some practice under my belt.
Old 01-06-19, 10:28 AM  
TracyQ

Revisiting this thread to say I did my first Smart Flow practice this morning Disc 1–Hip Opener (72 minutes) and loved it. Annie is a fabulous instructor. I already know after doing just one practice that I will get a lot of use out of this set and I will be using it for years to come. Thank you again Kathy for the recommendation.

The January 2019 Yoga Journal has an article about Annie and Smart Flow Yoga.

Old 01-06-19, 04:39 PM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I am enjoying my udaya streaming.
I really like vytas. He has a series of short workouts called v25 as well as longer workouts. I like that he does yoga as well as doing moves to build strength.
Another one I like just for instructional is Jules Mitchell. I do hers for alignment instructions. She has great hints.
I am kind of beginner trying to move more to intermediate so have been doing the program by Caley Alyssa called Progressive Yoga Practice – Intermediate. The classes are about 60 minutes long which I prefer. The first couple are teaching crow and side crow. She progresses the moves so that I get warmed up and then learn moves that eventually progress to crow/side crow. I like Annie a bit more but I think Caley provides really nice progressions and cues.
per Udaya:
12 classes, each 40 to 60-minutes long. Broken into four segments each consisting of two vinyasa classes followed by a workshop-style breakdown on how to move from a simple beginner level practice to more intermediate level asana variations.
I have also done a couple of Gigi Snyder classes like 'how to be a hipster'. It is about 30 minutes and nice cues. I do mostly level 2 classes.
If you find others please post. I would love to hear which you like.
Of course Annie is my favorite.
Old 01-06-19, 09:16 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks Kathy for the suggestions. I mentioned on another thread that the Stretch1 from Vytas’ Find your Practice had too many forward bends and it aggravated my back. I will try the ones you mentioned.

I did pull out Erich Schiffman’s Backyard beginners today which I’ve had for years and never tried. It was fine but I want to take advantage of the Udaya subscription. I’ll post here when I fins something I like.
Old 01-13-19, 07:38 AM  
TracyQ

Popping back in to say I love Smart Flow Yoga. I’ve done four practices so far. I do them in the morning. I normally don’t sleep great and the first time I did one I slept very soundly. I thought it may just be a coincidence but it’s not. Every time I do one of her practices in the morning I sleep very soundly that night. I did one yesterday (Saturday morning) and slept 10-hours last night. I NEVER sleep 10 hours. I have a stressful job and my mother isn’t well (spent 6 hours in the ER with her Thursday night) so I have a lot of stress. The weird thing is I’ve done tons of Yoga but never noticed any difference in my sleep. I don’t know what it is about these practices but this is amazing to me.

Old 01-13-19, 08:26 AM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
Popping back in to say I love Smart Flow Yoga. I’ve done four practices so far. I do them in the morning. I normally don’t sleep great and the first time I did one I slept very soundly. I thought it may just be a coincidence but it’s not. Every time I do one of her practices in the morning I sleep very soundly that night. I did one yesterday (Saturday morning) and slept 10-hours last night. I NEVER sleep 10 hours. I have a stressful job and my mother isn’t well (spent 6 hours in the ER with her Thursday night) so I have a lot of stress. The weird thing is I’ve done tons of Yoga but never noticed any difference in my sleep. I don’t know what it is about these practices but this is amazing to me.
Tracy, I’m so glad you’re loving Annie’s practices. I have done two so far. I was really disappointed that there is no music in them. Since they are Udaya productions I took it for granted that there would be really great music since the other Udaya sets are done that way. The production otherwise is outstanding, just what I would expect from Udaya. While I am not in love with the practices, I am hoping they grow on me. Travis is still my favorite instructor. Ultimate Yogi is simply perfect every way.

So anyway, it’s great you have found something to help during your stressful period of life. Sometimes life is hard.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deepen your practice, donna helm yost, slow yoga, yin yoga