Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-16, 09:14 AM  
alisoncooks

Debbie Siebers has a program called Body Insurance that's about $20 for 6 months streaming. It was on YouTube until recently and it was really good and gentle (it's been removed, sadly). I'm tempted to subscribe and use it for a bit.
There are a couple of walks (including a toning walk and a core walk), a yoga flow video, and a stretch.
https://bodyinsurance.intelivideo.com
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 09:30 AM  
MsThistlebottom

In addition to Leslie Sansone, I would also suggest Debra Mazda (Walking Fit & Fabulous, Let's Get Moving, Let's Get Stepping). I also love Marjorie Olds' Gentle Yoga for Every Body. Note: It is a DVD-R.

For strength training, some of the more gentle workouts by Margaret Richard might be right up your alley: The Spark, Fight Age with Strength, and the one she did for the National Institute on Aging. Don't be put off by the geriatric-sounding titles; these are workouts that are gentle, mindful of joints, and can be done at any age. Good luck to you!

ETA: Gin Miller's Build Up Your Muscles is another good beginner strength training option.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 10:01 AM  
NorthernStar

I started working out when I was about 280 lbs. I know exactly what you are going through, and how uncomfortable and painful it can be.

I highly recommend plain old walking, Jessica Smith and Leslie Sansone videos. Just start with what you can, even if that's 10 minutes, and be consistent. Consistency really is the secret. As you lose weight, you will feel better and better when you exercise.
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 10:40 AM  
millie

I would suggest
Petra Kolber -- Cardio for Beginners and Step by Step Weight Training
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-16, 07:29 PM  
calendria

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
I started working out when I was about 280 lbs. I know exactly what you are going through, and how uncomfortable and painful it can be.

I highly recommend plain old walking, Jessica Smith and Leslie Sansone videos. Just start with what you can, even if that's 10 minutes, and be consistent. Consistency really is the secret. As you lose weight, you will feel better and better when you exercise.
Thank you so much. For some reason, my fatigue and weight have crept back up and has even increased. I weigh MORE now than at 9 months pregnant. I guess thats part of my fatigue. thanx for the understanding. Right now, walking and belly dancing and gentle yoga is about ALL I can do
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 11:47 AM  
ardnas

I totally understand as I have lost (and gained) the same 50lbs several times and was the same weight as you. Many beginner workouts are too much when you are out of shape and plus size. I also had an injury that after being int-adv for years brought me back to barely beginner level.
What I highly recommend is Leslie Sansone's Mix & Match Walk Blasters DVD. You can start doing the light walk, which is around 10 minutes to get up and get moving. You can tack on another 10 minute segment when you feel able and so on. I also recommend Suzanne Andrews - many of her workouts are for seniors, but they are not intimidating and will get you stronger without hurting you. Her Fat Burning workout is designed for plus size people & those over 40 and demos 3 options - seated, standing, and advanced so you can do which ever level that feels best. Richard Simmons has some fun dance workouts that include plus size exercisers which can be motivating. I like his Party off the Pounds & Disco Sweat. His HOPE set is very beginner level & plus size friendly. To increase energy and feel good I would try Lee Holden's Qi Gong. My favorite beginner strength workout is Joyce Vedral's 12 Minute Total Body Workout, which is a book, but only done with 3lb dumbbells and you only do 12 minutes a day. Good luck
Old 02-14-16, 12:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have done Stephanie Huckabee's Powerfit & Powerfit Harmony as recovery workouts and really like them. You can modify them up or down easily and they are only 20 minutes. I always keep them on standby if I need a gentler rotation.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-16, 09:43 PM  
bfit

There are two workouts in the "Plus Size" series. One is 30 minutes of low impact, and the other one is 30 minutes of very basic kickboxing. The instructor is Debbie ? (I'm not remembering her last name right now). There's also a couple of DVDs with Cyndi Kereluk (I think I got the last name right on that one) that are for beginners - one is Safe and Strong that has a warm up and some toning in a chair, and the other one is Safe and Fit which has more emphasis on simple low impact aerobics with a little toning.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 05:42 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Another vote for

PowerFit and Power Harmony.
They are not overwhelming, only 20 minutes and you're moving. No dread factor. At all.
Do what you can. And eventually it will come. Walk and walk some more.

I am not a big fan of walking workouts though. As a (Much bigger than you are) plus size - the walking workouts were/are just too much for me. The repitition gets to my knees and I just don't care for them. Try as I may - I have NEVER Clicked with Leslie Sansone. As much as I love Jessica Smith - to me - her workouts are VERY difficult. they are very deceiving-so be careful and DO NOT get discouraged.

Consistency is key. Even if it's 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening. Consider getting a tracker of sorts for a bench mark (if you are into those things). FitBit, Jawbone, whatever. It opens up an entire supportive community if you choose to be active with it. And you can watch your progress!!!!

Good luck and keep checking in.
Support is what VF is all about. YOU CAN do it!!!!!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-16, 09:37 AM  
carres1973

I think many of us have been there (myself included).

I will add one caveat to Leslie walking DVDs. I found the repetitive movements hurt my knees badly. Of course, everything made my knees sore...

Biking was and still is a go-to for me. Swimming was great once I learned that the kicking was supposed to be from the hips, and not the knees!! If you do not have access to a bike or a pool, my suggestion would be a Leslie or Jessica Smith but don't overdo them. How about an "old school" Jane Fonda aerobics? Or maybe a dance workout?

I also have an under desk bike, which I have been adding in for 5 minutes every hour or two, just to get some extra movement.

Best of luck in your journey!
Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner workouts, beginners, mirabai holland, national institute aging