Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-15, 10:47 AM  
juliel
VF Supporter

So many dvds

Hi,

I know I've seen this type of thread before. I have so many dvds.
The majority of them are stored away and I don't touch them. I
keep them thinking that I'll use them again or when I certain situation
arises. I have systems that I really liked and kept thinking I'd do them
again, but I haven't. I am trying to declutter and am seriously thinking
of getting rid of many dvds. Have you done this with no regrets?
Any suggestions?? I have over 200 dvds.
Also-- I still buy new stuff and I am streaming a fair amount too.

thanks in advance!

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 10:53 AM  
bubbles76

I don't even know how to help, but just wanted to join the conversation, in case someone has advice. I have sold many and SASE'd many, but I've also been the recipient of much VF kindness over the years. So my collection has stayed pretty stable for the last two years, even though I'm trying to dwindle down. The case with me is that Big Bubble is military, so I feel like I have to always be ready to move at a moment's notice. Hence, trying to minimize in all areas.

I am spartan when it comes to home décor, furnishings, and dishes, a minimalist when it comes to shoes, clothes, and purses, and try to keep paper clutter to a single pile. But dvds make me so happy!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 11:07 AM  
BunnyHop

I'd advise against getting rid of things.

Sure, if you have some stuff you actively hate, wonder why you bought it, and will never touch, yeah, get rid of it.

On the other hand, keep the stuff that appeals to you, even if you aren't using them right now. If you've used them before and found value in them, it's likely you'll want to reach for them again someday.

Decluttering is all very well and good, but compared to the difficulty involved in buying new copies of workouts years later? Not worth it to me.

My basic taste in workouts hasn't changed over time, so I've got a good range of workouts, beginner-advanced, that I can depend on.

I'd much rather declutter elsewhere in my life.

Books, for example. I love them, and keep copies of books I know I'll re-read. Others? I donate to the library. Or just get from the library in the first place, to save myself the expense of purchasing something unknown.

I guess it's a matter of deciding what you want around you. For me, being able to reach for something I know I like is worth the effort involved in keeping it.
Old 10-07-15, 11:11 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I don't even know how to help, but just wanted to join the conversation, in case someone has advice. I have sold many and SASE'd many, but I've also been the recipient of much VF kindness over the years. So my collection has stayed pretty stable for the last two years, even though I'm trying to dwindle down. The case with me is that Big Bubble is military, so I feel like I have to always be ready to move at a moment's notice. Hence, trying to minimize in all areas.

I am spartan when it comes to home décor, furnishings, and dishes, a minimalist when it comes to shoes, clothes, and purses, and try to keep paper clutter to a single pile. But dvds make me so happy!
Bubbles, you just described me, lol! I am low maintenance in every aspect of my life except for my DVD and exercise equipment addiction. I do have DVDs I haven't looked at in a while and "plan" to get back to. Will I get back to them, a definite maybe! I use pretty much all of my equipment on a regular basis. I did a major DVD purge earlier this year and it felt good! I decided to just stop worrying about it and I have become much more selective about what I buy and trade for. YouTube has helped in that regard, I can try something different before I buy it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 11:25 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'd advise against getting rid of things.

Sure, if you have some stuff you actively hate, wonder why you bought it, and will never touch, yeah, get rid of it.

On the other hand, keep the stuff that appeals to you, even if you aren't using them right now. If you've used them before and found value in them, it's likely you'll want to reach for them again someday.

Decluttering is all very well and good, but compared to the difficulty involved in buying new copies of workouts years later? Not worth it to me.

My basic taste in workouts hasn't changed over time, so I've got a good range of workouts, beginner-advanced, that I can depend on.

I'd much rather declutter elsewhere in my life.
This. I have found myself re-acquiring many workouts this year that I had previously traded a few years back. You never know when your tastes or needs will circle back and that workout you haven't used in a long time (but you enjoyed at one time) will be the exact one you are in the mood for at some point.

If dvds are going away like everyone says, there will likely come a time when the workouts you used to have will be out of print. Then what? I shudder at the thought myself! At this point, I figure unless I truly hate something I'm hanging onto it. Keeping this in mind, I've been buying workouts like crazy so that when the day comes that everything is streaming and dvds are no longer available I won't have any regrets.
Old 10-07-15, 11:52 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I got rid of a lot of my beginner and intermediate workouts, but now I'm sorry because, as I've gotten older, I've needed easier workouts again. There are new ones to be bought I suppose, but I wish I had some of my old ones again.

Put the ones you don't use much into a box and write the date on it. I'd say that if you don't use them for a year, baring injury or traumatic life happenings, you could probably safely donate or sell them. A local women's shelter is a good place provided the workouts don't require a lot of equipment.]

You can also share them with friends. I have two neighbors, one is a runner, and the other is a phys ed teacher. Neither of them are vidiots, but they do borrow them on occasion.
Old 10-07-15, 12:11 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

No, I haven't been able to do this without regret, or traders remorse Normally, I am by nature a clutter phobic person. I am always gathering things, clothing to take to Good Will. Recently I took a big box of Firm VHS tapes. A few days I called because I wanted it back. They said they couldn't find it I have often traded away workout DVD's, only to re-acquire them later. Ugh....I probably should just keep all that I have. My kids can inherit my large collection some day, lol! If I were you, I would be very careful about what you get rid of, unless you are absolutely sure!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 12:13 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post

That is it! DVD's make me happy too!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-15, 12:51 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
No, I haven't been able to do this without regret, or traders remorse Normally, I am by nature a clutter phobic person. I am always gathering things, clothing to take to Good Will. Recently I took a big box of Firm VHS tapes. A few days I called because I wanted it back. They said they couldn't find it I have often traded away workout DVD's, only to re-acquire them later. Ugh....I probably should just keep all that I have. My kids can inherit my large collection some day, lol! If I were you, I would be very careful about what you get rid of, unless you are absolutely sure!
Sherry
Sherry I'm the same way! I am always getting rid of clothes and donating to Good Will. I'm constantly throwing away clutter and junk that we accumulate in the house. Hello broken toys from when the kids were little! Why are they still in this house??? In the Garbage they go!! LOL I have no problem de-cluttering in other areas of my life. I can even part with other (movie) dvds I have. Workout dvds are a whole different story, though.
Old 10-07-15, 01:07 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I got rid of a lot of my beginner and intermediate workouts, but now I'm sorry because, as I've gotten older, I've needed easier workouts again. There are new ones to be bought I suppose, but I wish I had some of my old ones again.
So true, Jane! I'm reverting to beginner workouts I haven't looked at in 10 years, and I'm so thankful I kept them, because they're just what my aging body needs.

The only DVDs I eliminate now are those that might be too "advanced" or that have a major dread factor for any reason. I store my currently inactive collection in 4 boxes, by category, on the bottom shelf of a bookcase. (I'm tall, and I've always disliked bottom shelves, so I use them for "inactive" stuff.) Periodically I go through the inactives and purge, but in another area I store the purged DVDs awhile longer before reselling. I've found it prudent to allow for second thoughts!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, no buy, purging dvds