Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-15, 03:28 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Yes! Gentle doesn't mean useless.
That's something I have learned recently. My DH and I have been doing a gentle practice 5-6 nights/week for nearly a month now. I can't believe how much better I feel. (I owe sticking to a gentle practice to my DH's much more patient nature - left to my own devices, I'd be pushing the envelope and reaping no benefits. )

I'm going to keep an eye out for Jane Adam's DVDs. I love the clips! Thanks for posting.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-15, 10:12 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

are the 2 titled gentle yoga different enough? or is the prettier one (park) a remake of the other gentle yoga? wish she had clips of all on her website but just saw the one at the park and the one for seniors(that one looked pretty good too !) didn't want to play well on my computer though for some reason but I have problems with vimeo sometimes...
Old 06-01-15, 06:32 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Yes! Gentle doesn't mean useless.
You're telling me. I got a really excellent yoga DVD by J. Brown. He has a really good blog. One of his posts is titled "Gentle is the new advanced".

I still practice power yoga, as I wrote on another thread, but I balance it with gentle practices. Gentle yoga is a regular part of my routine. In the last months of 2014 I was under a great deal of stress. Gentle yoga was all I could manage, and it was extremely helpful.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 08:49 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith938 View Post
are the 2 titled gentle yoga different enough? or is the prettier one (park) a remake of the other gentle yoga? wish she had clips of all on her website but just saw the one at the park and the one for seniors(that one looked pretty good too !) didn't want to play well on my computer though for some reason but I have problems with vimeo sometimes...
The one filmed in the park, with the flowers in the background, is a remake of an earlier "Yoga for Seniors" DVD that was filmed indoors. I don't know how the two DVDs compare - I have the newer one and have only done the second practice on it (the 40 minute practice) and I found it a little too easy for me. I suspect the third practice - the 55 minute one - is more what I'm looking for.

The 2 Gentle Yoga DVDs appear to be different - the newer one - filmed at Glacier National Park - has 7 different practices on it; the older one - filmed indoors - has 4 different practices on it. Here's a listing of the two so you can compare:

Gentle Yoga (indoors):
Lying Warm-ups - 20 minutes
Balancing and Standing Poses - 33 minutes
Upper Body - 13 minutes
Torso and Leg Strength & Flexibility - 20 minutes
Relaxation - 7 minutes

Gentle Yoga (new one - outdoors):
Lying Practice - 34 minutes
Morning Energy - 18 minutes
Relief from Desk & Computer Work - 19 minutes
Improving Balance - 22 minutes
Core Strength & Flexibility - 34 minutes
Standing Poses: Flowing & Traditional - 23 minutes
Evening Practice - 29 minutes
Relaxation - 8 minutes

Hope this helps! If you have questions, email Jane at her website. I've found her to be very responsive and helpful.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 09:18 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

thanks Carol!
Old 06-01-15, 10:38 AM  
DejaDeb

I have no business ordering new yoga DVD's, but these look too good to pass up. So, yeah, thanks!
Old 06-04-15, 02:18 AM  
Betty Boop

Based upon this conversation , I purchased Stronger Standing Balance. It came today, and so far I am quite impressed with Jane.
Old 06-04-15, 07:21 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I did Jane's balance practice 2 days ago. I liked it enormously. I wish there had been a matrix option so you could select the workouts you want and play them all together rather than being taken to the main menu to select another workout. To me, though, that's minor. There were several exercises I had never done before, I liked Jane a lot, and you can grow with these workouts. A keeper.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 08:27 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I did Jane's balance practice 2 days ago. I liked it enormously. I wish there had been a matrix option so you could select the workouts you want and play them all together rather than being taken to the main menu to select another workout. To me, though, that's minor. There were several exercises I had never done before, I liked Jane a lot, and you can grow with these workouts. A keeper.
Do you mean the balance practice from the dvd that Vintage VFer originally posted about, or the standalone balance dvd Jane has?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-15, 09:11 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I've ordered but amazon is punishing me for not splurging for prime by making me wait on shipping but it'll get there eventually. I ordered the later gentle yoga that's outdoors and the one that was for balance...will see how I like these then maybe get prime and the others LOL! to reach the free shipping I added Rodney Yee's new one - indoors so not sure about that but the clip at Mary's looked pretty good and it happened to drop in price to just a dollar and change more than what I needed to reach free shipping so I figured it was a sign to get it!

Tags
balance training, gentle yoga, jane adams, jane adams yoga, mirror cueing yoga, standing yoga, stronger standing balance, yoga for seniors