Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-14, 07:54 AM  
momofcha

Put your PiYo reviews here

OK, I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread for all of the reviews. I got my set yesterday and immdiately did Upper Body. It was short, 19 minutes and it was good. I didn't love it, but I liked it. It did remind me of ballet body - it was similar to her Yoga Fusion Flow. Not quite as intense, and a few more breaks,but I felt a similar flavor. This one I would definitely add on to another workout. As it was I did a Zuzka kettlebell segment prior to this.

Now, this morning I did Buns. I started my workout with P57 Cardio - the one with the dude. It slayed me, but felt it was lacking in seat work. I popped in Drench, but it was 48 minutes and ain't nobody got time for that today, so I popped in Buns. 29 minutes - perfect. Nothing earth shattering, but very tonique-ish, barreish. Lots of squats, variations on squats, bowling lunges, regular lunges, clockwork lunges. Her form pointers are excellent! I love Chalene, but her demeanor in here is perfect. Not over the top, but encouraging. You can always see the modifier and the way she modified burpees was awesome! They are very slow burpees, but there were a few nonetheless. I really liked the modifier and will be using that often. The setting is very pleasing to the eye. The music was good - nothing loud or over the top, but I did like it. Total win or me on this one. I'm looking forward to doing more of them. I did also get the add-on DVDs and hopefully they will arrive today.

So far, both of these will be great for me to add on to other workouts. I would imagine Drench I will do as a stand-alone. So far I am extremely pleased wth this set.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 08:03 AM  
Carb8985

Thanks for posting your review! I am SO happy to hear that these workouts remind you of Ballet Body and Tonique. Those are my two favorite methods. I hope to get my set today and can't wait to give them a try.
Carb8985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 08:06 AM  
Vee

Thank you for starting this thread Shammy.

I am looking forward to reading more impressions as you do the other discs.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 08:24 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

My set is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. So far, they sound great. I can't wait to read more reviews....

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 09:48 AM  
rheash92

I would like to know if there are any sun salutations. Also, does this have the feel of power yoga? I don't like power yoga.

Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 10:14 AM  
dnna

where is the PI? ( and the a la mode) I keep reading the reviews and updates, it seems like all yoga? is there a pilates component?
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 10:26 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheash92 View Post
I would like to know if there are any sun salutations. Also, does this have the feel of power yoga? I don't like power yoga.

Thanks!
I don't have the set but the reviews from those who do mention Burpees (aka sun salutations on steroids).
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 10:26 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
where is the PI? ( and the a la mode) I keep reading the reviews and updates, it seems like all yoga? is there a pilates component?
Yes, in the upper body DVD there was pilates roll ups. I'm not familiar with a lot of pilates moves, but I did recognize that one.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 01:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I previewed Drench last night and did the workout this morning. I wanted to compare this workout with the Buti workouts that I do at the end of my workouts, so I did Drench after my other workouts. I found it tougher than Buti, and I burned more calories than I do with a Buti workout. I was sweating buckets, and my legs were actually shaking. This never happens with Buti.

As far as comparing Piyo to any other workout that I own, I would say that it is more similar to Les Mills' Body Flow, but much tougher. It isn't anything like Buti, which I actually like. Piyo will definitely compelement my Buti workouts nicely. I get the benefits of a yoga workout without actually doing a pure yoga workout, and I get the sweat factor which is what I am aiming for.

Piyo is also more focused. Each segment has a focus for a certain length of time. One thing that drives me crazy about Buti is that there is no real focus in the workouts. Both sides are often not worked equally, and most of the time it looks like they are winging. Then out of no where she'll throw in a yoga pose that is super hard, do it once, and move on. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy my Buti workouts, but there definitely are negatives.

As I mentioned before, Chalene mirror cues, her form pointers are excellent, her form is excellent, and there is a modifier. Brian Howe does the music, so anyone who has been around long enough knows he has quite a good reputation for putting out really good music.

This is the only workout that I've done and previewed. I'm hoping that the rest are just as great! Big thumbs up from me.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-14, 02:20 PM  
momof10

Debbie - Excellent review of Drench. I was thinking how much we are alike. It seems like everyone else started with the first disc. You and I both went for what would seem to be the longest and most challenging one. I always start out with the most challenging one, because that will tell me whether the other ones will,be challenging enough for me. I could tell by doing Drench that I was going to love this set. If I had started with Align or the Upper Body/Lower Body one, I might have been meh about it.

So far I have done Drench, Core, Hardcore on the Floor, Strength Intervals and Buns. They all seem to be running together in my head now. I know that Core was just what the title says very Core intensive. The one I liked the least was Strength Intervals because of the length more than anything. Chalene does do athletic style burpies in this one, jogging and some high knees along with skaters in between the strength sections. I will do that one again. I am thinking about stringing together all the workouts on each disc instead of taking one out to do another.

I wish there was a way to Skip through the Warning stuff, though. If I could do that I wouldn't mind doing multiple DVDs. This way I can do one DVD and get in an hour workout.

Cheryl

Tags
chalene johnson, mirror cueing yoga, piyo, piyo reviews