Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-14, 01:46 PM  
lorajc

Anyone Using Their Reformer Or Malibu Chair?

Anyone regularly using their Pilates Reformer or Malibu Chair lately and getting results? or Even Supreme Pilates. I sure wish I had a large workout room where I could leave my 3 machines out and set up ....as I know I'd use them more.

Just curious. I know I need to use them, as my doc wants me to build more core strength for my core injury and I think these would work well for that. They are just a hassle to drag out and set up.

I bought dvds from Balanced Body's Pilates website to use. I wish I had more Chair workouts from the original lady.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 01:54 PM  
Sandrine

I can't believe you posted this!!
I just bought a Malibu Pilates chair (from Craig's list) and have used it twice. I plan to use it as an add-on to a weekly, or twice-weekly, pilates mat w/o. I really like it--it's very well-constructed and the Carroll Krief w/o's that came with it are well-produced. I would like to get the Mari Winsor w/o for the chair.
Have you tried any of the pilates chair (or wunda chair) w/o's on youtube? I couldn't believe how many are available.

I am considering a reformer, as well. I had an opportunity to buy a used Pilates Power gym but the reviews make it look as if it might be too short for me (I'm 5'7"). Do you have any thoughts about Supreme Pilates or which reformer is good?
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 02:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Wow, I never thought I'd see another Supreme Pilates thread at VF!!! My SP has been calling my name. It's been quite a while since I used it.

I had great results when using my SP regularly, I don't know why I'm not using it. I got burned out on the same workouts over and over, and got tired of waiting for Ellen to release new workouts. However, a wonderful VF'er sent me the Winsor Slimming Pilates set and I think it would work well with the SP.

I feel a resurrection of the SP coming on.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 02:46 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I use my reformer most days of the week. I have a back injury and spinal problems. I don't have the Malibu Pilates chair but I have a different one. I use it 2 or 3 days a week, but mainly use it for footwork and sometimes upper body and back. I don't have a lot space to lay down in front of it in the room where it is and moving it from room to room is a pain. I got rid of my Supreme Pilates years ago because I wanted to the space for something else.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 02:56 PM  
Sandrine

Pat,
Who created the SP workouts? Ellen...?

And Linda, which reformer do you have?
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 03:06 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I've had a Stott pro reformer for over 10 years.
Old 04-03-14, 03:14 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Hi there!

I got a Malibu PC last year, and I've been using it regularly, but mostly as an add-on to my other wookouts ("as a finisher") and I mostly do foot, leg and core work, and I love it. But, I can't talk about results as I mixed it with other things.

I have some videos to use with, but I have found that I don't use them that often, mostly because I have to bring the chair to another room to be able to do so so I mostly do a freestyle session with my favorite moves. Although I've been thinking about doing a 6 weeks rotation of Pilates -exclusively- (on the chair or/and mat) 3 times a week, and cardio pilates 2-3 times a week, to test the saying: "In 10 sessions, you will feel the difference, in 20 sessions you will see the difference and in 30 sessions you will have a whole new body."

Lora, you can find Malibu Pilates Chair dvds on ebay, I got a couple there last year, some are new and other used for really cheap if you're in the US. I also got a couple of dvds of the bruciari chair which is a lot similar and one by Stott Pilates, the more challenging I have. Peak Pilates have several workouts too, I was interested in the latin dance fusion chair workout, but for their $40 on shipping for ONE dvd to Canada... No thanks!

Sandrine, I love this workout I found on youtube a while ago, it is just 10 minutes, but it moves fast that I always get a little sweat going. I've found other videos, but they mostly demos for about a minute or 2, if you've found other follow along workouts to use with it, it'd be nice if you could link them here! TIA

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-14, 03:36 PM  
kelsey211
VF Supporter

I have all 3. I have not used the Supreme Pilates or Malibu Chair in years. (SP sits in a corner in the basement and Malibu Chair never got unpacked when I partially moved across country 3 years ago). I love and do use my reformer. I actually have 2 reformers; 1 in each house. It probably helped that I took reformer classes several years ago to learn proper techniques and the exercises so I don't always need a DVD to do a workout. The reformer DVDs in the marketplace are lacking and very expensive. Pilatesanytime.com have some great reformer classes.

Linda H, I'm envious that you have a Stott Pro Reformer.
Old 04-03-14, 03:51 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Susie, I had a performer from QVC and was very happy with it until I tore meniscus in my knee. If I hadn't needed adjustments for that I'd still have the one for QVC. The shoulder blocks on the Q's would come off sometimes if I didn't move away before lifting my shoulders and one day that just put me over the edge.
Old 04-03-14, 07:19 PM  
PLS

I have a MP chair and use it a couple times a week. I like the 20 min wkt that came with the chair, it took a little while to get the hang of opening, closing, adjusting and using it. I have a subscription to Pilatesanytime and I have used a few of their chair workouts with the MP chair. I adjust the springs on the MP chair similar to the settings they use on the chairs used on the PA site. I plan to upgrade to a Wunda or some other pilates chair when I wear out my MP chair - I figure if I use it enough to need to replace it, then I can upgrade to a higher end and sturdier chair.

I would LOVE a reformer, but don't have room. But would LOVE to get a Tower Trainer as well, it looks like it would be able to be used like a reformer but folds up to a smaller footprint. I had meniscus surgery in February and have been told to take out the impact so I see a lot of pilates in my future.

AsSweetAsSugar- Love that workout that you posted! I bookmarked for use with my MP chair!
PLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carroll krieff, malibu pilates, pilates power gym, pilates pro chair, supreme pilates, wunda chair